• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Ok, I have a VERY high strung dog. She was a stray. We have had her for about 8 years now and she was about 2 when she showed up. Her name is Spaz.

She had to have been abused by her previous owner because if you yell at her she squats and pees.

If you call her in a stern voice, she won't come. She lies on the floor and cowers.

She gets excited easily. When she gets over excited, she PUKES>

When she hears our car, she runs to the door and waits.Then jumps and licks all over us.

She does not leave our sides when we are home. She even sleeps with us.

We have trained her to sit, stay, wait, shake hands, high five, lie down etc.

What our main problem with her is, she fishes for turds in the cat box. Drags them out onto the floor and gnaws on them.

She will also chew on tissue paper but thats another topic.

We cant yell, or be stern with her or we get pee on the floor.

Our second problem is her being Hyperactive and A.D.D.

I dont mind her being happy to play with us but she over does it and vomits.

Sometimes all we have to do is say, "Spaz, go get your ball" and she jumps right up runs into her room and comes back with the ball and pukes. Or just say "Spaz, u want a cookie"?

Any ideas?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

You need to ask Bibs!

Guest Biblicist

Well, hello there Gia! :emot-highfive:

I love the name for your dog, Spaz sounds perfect! Remember dog's live in the moment. She does not remember what happened to her when she was a puppy. She only knows how you will react to her when she does these things.

My first question is do you walk her?

We have 5 acres fenced for her to run in. She also has a doggie door that she comes and goes as she pleases.

We do take her bye bye. We go to get ice cream and go for drives.

She loves the jeep rides.

She knows that she has to wear her seat belt in the car tho.

Everyone at the bank knows her and gives her a cookie.

THe dairy queen gives her pup cup. (small dish of vanilla soft serve yogurt)

Dogs dont remember trauma?

:emot-highfive:

Guest Biblicist

Little dogs are more hyper. Going outside to play, on their own, is not exercise. Dogs do not exercise themselves, sometimes they will play with other dogs but that's not always a guarantee either.

Walking is the only way to help a dog release their agression and anxiety. It's in their DNA to walk, no matter the breed or size. I'd say start walking her, 20 minutes a day. Do not let her go out the door ahead of you and do not let her walk in front of you. She is your friend, she should walk next to you. Feed her after the walk.

By the way, ALL dogs eat cat poo. It's instinct. The only way you can stop them, don't let them get it. My dog even taught himself how to open the door to the cats room so he could dine on the delicacies. Humans don't understand, it's a dog thing. :emot-highfive:

Most little dogs do not like to be yelled at. Do you know what breed she is? Your problems with her are quite common. Don't worry she is not Hyperactive and A.D.D. she is a little dog. She is normal.

Remember this, Exercise, Discipline, Affection. Too much of one is not balanced.

Guest Biblicist
Dogs dont remember trauma?

:emot-highfive:

No, dogs do not remember things the way humans do. If they did, they would not keep coming back to humans for attention, would they? She has likely forgotten all about what happened to her. You need to forget it to. Let it go.

Human ice cream is not good for dogs. It's OK once in a while, but not all the time. There is dog safe ice cream you can buy if you really want to give her some but I am not a huge advocate of giving dogs people food.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Our dog Jainie was an abused pup when we "inherited" her..she did the cowering and peeing thing too..

I did a lot of surfing to see if there was anything I could do to help her overcome her fears and I found that either they will get over it and eventually stop or stop to some degree or never stop..

It is so up to the dog itself and what they went through..

The vet my daughter worked for said the same thing..

Have you considered talking to the vet about the hyper activity?

Perhaps there are meds for hyper dogs..

Sorry about the vomiting..must be pretty frustrating for you ...

and I know you feel bad for the poor dog who is doing the vomiting..

poor baby!

I would ask my daughter but she quit working for the vet and went to nursing school...

Guest Biblicist
There are a couple of decent books out there. Havn't found a good website though. You do need to think like a dog and make sure you are not reinforcing bad behavior. If she goes crazy when you come home, and you reward that by petting her, using the happy voice. Guess what, you've given the all Ok signal. Ignore her when she goes crazy. The food thing can be the same thing, however, we have a 6 month old pure bred, and our friend gave us some dog food (they have an older dog). We just threw that in the can with the puppy stuff and found that he would puke at night if we got him excited. Threw all the old man dog food out and no problems. However, be real careful about table scraps. Our dog gets anything and he'll hurl.

The rolling over is submissive behavior. Our dog would yip at night after I took him out, and nothing would stop him. Naturally I'd get up and go over to his pen in the other room, and give him the alpha male treatment--roll him on his back, hand on the chest, and a firm NO! worked like a charm. But often, that's how he greets me. So I immediately stop petting, tell him to sit, and start to praise. If he gives the submissive pose, I stop, tell him to sit, and begin again. Starting to work----.

About walking, yup, gotta do that. Its not about peeing and pooping, its how he dog explores, interacts with the world, and gets stimulation. That also might help the chewing--often a sign of boredom.

:emot-highfive: Hooray another wise dog lover!

Check out Cesar Millan's dogpsychologycenter.com website. He teaches all this wonderful stuff. I have Cesar's Way.