• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

James 1:

5But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

6But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.

This does say that once you have asked for wisdom, believe you have it. I am missing something. Input appreciated.

:P

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

v. 5 is the instruction, and v.6 is the disclaimer saying that you must have faith hence believing it, in order for you to stand firm. I have prayed for my husbands salvation, and I have to believe that it is so without seeing it here on earth, because his actions do not say that he is yet. If I did not have faith in the Lord's promise, then I would one day believe that he is saved when he goes to church with me, and one not when he is ugly to me in an ungodly manner.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Here is the context of the passage:

Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. An indecisive man is unstable in all his ways.

James 1:2-8 HCSB

The main idea of this passage is persevering through trials. James maintains that the testing of our faith through trials produces endurance. He warns us that we must allow endurance to do its work in us so that we lack nothing. According to James, one of the chief fruits of endurance through trials is wisdom. James says that as we are enduring through trials, we can ask God for wisdom and He will give it to us. This asking must be in the context of endurance through the trials. If we shrink back in the midst of testing we will not experience the wisdom that Giod wanted for us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from the General Discussion Forum to the Doctrinal Questions Forum

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/25/1976

Here is the context of the passage:

Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. An indecisive man is unstable in all his ways.

James 1:2-8 HCSB

The main idea of this passage is persevering through trials. James maintains that the testing of our faith through trials produces endurance. He warns us that we must allow endurance to do its work in us so that we lack nothing. According to James, one of the chief fruits of endurance through trials is wisdom. James says that as we are enduring through trials, we can ask God for wisdom and He will give it to us. This asking must be in the context of endurance through the trials. If we shrink back in the midst of testing we will not experience the wisdom that Giod wanted for us.

Very good explanation Eric. How could we possibly learn what God wants us to, through our trials, if we don't trust Him to show us?

• Group:  Diamond Member

This asking must be in the context of endurance through the trials. If we shrink back in the midst of testing we will not experience the wisdom that God wanted for us.

OK - If you have a moment to clarify, what would be considered 'shrinking back'?

note: I have been in testing - tried to hold tighter to God - prayed more - joined this forum - looked for His blessing in the midst - searched myself . . .

what would be considered 'shrinking back'

:24:

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me
Matthew 16:24

:21:

Know God

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge
Psalms 46:10-11

Trust God

O Lord my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me
Psalms 7:1

Stand Fast

Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with charity
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Pray

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Jude 1:20

Love

[21] Keep yourselves in the love of God, ...
Jude 1:21

Look

... looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Jude 1:21

Be Blessed Beloved Of The LORD

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24-25

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

This asking must be in the context of endurance through the trials. If we shrink back in the midst of testing we will not experience the wisdom that God wanted for us.

OK - If you have a moment to clarify, what would be considered 'shrinking back'?

note: I have been in testing - tried to hold tighter to God - prayed more - joined this forum - looked for His blessing in the midst - searched myself . . .

simple: the iranians are moving closer to where you live. You ask Jesus for wisdom on where to go before capture happens.

if you do not ask for wisdom your mind will wonder...should i go east or should i go west.

think about paul who was told that he will meet his death.. He knew it was where he was to go.

A large some of money comes your way. Ask for wisdom on what wants you to do with it. or

My personal scripture God has given to me is romans 8;28 All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. My faith that all things work together for good has kept me through the worse testing and trails. I' have had to ask God for wisdom to keep on going whether I was in the pit of despair,wandering and scorched from the hot sun of the desert, tired of climbing a huge mountains never thinking i'd reach the top or the other side. There are many times I wanted to give up...but I did not.

Look at someone who has to run a race...its raining, its cold, they don't think they can make it... they do not run the race.... Hope this helps and hope i am on the right track... so to speak. Its that question shoud i stay or should I go? :24: P>S> Sometimes we get in the way of what God is doing. Have you heard of that saying,

Lord ihave prayed, aske , intercede, read your word, went to chuch, went to bible study I do not know what more to do!! and The Lord answers," I am trying to help you my son, but you are getting in my way?" Try relaxing in him. let him do the work.

Edited by patricia1

:cool:

My personal scripture God has given to me is romans 8;28 All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose

:P

James 1:

5But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

6But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.

This does say that once you have asked for wisdom, believe you have it. I am missing something. Input appreciated.

:emot-rolleyes:

Okay then, I take my answer to be that I have not missed anything and that I am indeed wise. :emot-headphones:

Thanks!

Edited by Fraught