IGNORED

Favorite all-time secular/Christian song?

MeCajunboy

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Wow. I'm not even going to reply to what I see as only "judgmentalism". :huh:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Okay...I need to add this song to my list...I forgot just how much I loved it until I heard it again. *sigh* I have a feeling I'm really cheating at this...I mean, I've got four "all-time favourites" (maybe I'll get some leniency for them all being by the same band ;) )

Yahweh by U2

Take these shoes

Click clacking down some dead end street

Take these shoes and make them fit

Take this shirt

Polyester white trash made in nowhere

Take this shirt and make it clean, clean

Take this soul

Stranded in some skin and bones

Take this soul and make it sing, sing

Yahweh, Yahweh

Always pain before a child is born

Yahweh, Yahweh

Still I

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Secular: It's a tie between House of The Rising Sun by the Animals and All These Things That I've Done by the Killers

Christian: I always loved The Old Rugged Cross, but anything by Jon Gibson would do just as well.

There was this horrible day in the past, where it seemed like the world was caving in all around me. I was upset and crying but I hadn't even thought to turn to God. I thought He'd abandoned me, along with everyone else. I sat in my car with a secular station on and my mind turned to God. I wasn't sure what prompted it to but just as it did, this song came on and He spoke to me through it. It was a memorable fellowship with Him that night. I was, not only comforted by Him, but I turned my life back around in His direction. Would I have done it without the song? yes. But God's ways are better than mine. He's full of surprises that He knows will make me happy. I suspect He keeps each of our attentions differently. No one should judge another person's Christian growth processes. We're all different. Just like all songs are different and the artists who write them. Who is to say a person who started out as a secular writer can't be changed by God, too? And who dares say God can't use a secular song to speak to us? God can and WILL use what God sees fit to use.

Another day has gone

I'm still all alone

How could this be

You're not here with me

You never said goodbye

Someone tell me why

Did you have to go

And leave my world so cold

Everyday I sit and ask myself

How did love slip away

Something whispers in my ear and says

That you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though you're far away

I am here to stay

But you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though we're far apart

You're always in my heart

But you are not alone

'Lone, 'lone

Why, 'lone

Just the other night

I thought I heard you cry

Asking me to come

And hold you in my arms

I can hear your prayers

Your burdens I will bear

But first I need your hand

Then forever can begin

Everyday I sit and ask myself

How did love slip away

Something whispers in my ear and says

That you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though you're far away

I am here to stay

For you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though we're far apart

For you are not alone

Whisper three words and I'll come runnin'

And girl you know that I'll be there

I'll be there

You are not alone

For I am here with you

Though you're far away

I am here to stay

For you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though we're far apart

For you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though you're far away

I am here to stay

For you are not alone

For I am here with you

Though we're far apart

For you are not alone...

By Michael Jackson

:emot-questioned:

Guest aletheia

Im not much into secular. I only have a couple albums, and I'm from the old school. I would say that I think that Fleetwood Mac is an awesome band with a great sound. Rhianon would probably be my fave. Anything by Bread.

When it comes to Christian I don't have just one fave. And, again, I am from the old school. Keith Green is by far the most impactful artist of the 20th century. Steven Curtis Chapman is right up there. I love the Imperials (the original), Phil Keaggy, Dan Peck, etc.

"Be Still and Know That I Am God" by the Imperials.

"Resonate" ...not sure who sings it.

"More To This Life" SCC

"Jesus Freak" and "What Have We Become" DC Talk

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

"What Have We Become" DC Talk

This song makes me cry nearly every time I hear it (pretty much from "Mom and dad are fighting/As Rosie lies there crying/'Cause once again she's overheard regrets of their mistake...")

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

There was this horrible day in the past, where it seemed like the world was caving in all around me. I was upset and crying but I hadn't even thought to turn to God. I thought He'd abandoned me, along with everyone else. I sat in my car with a secular station on and my mind turned to God. I wasn't sure what prompted it to but just as it did, this song came on and He spoke to me through it. It was a memorable fellowship with Him that night. I was, not only comforted by Him, but I turned my life back around in His direction. Would I have done it without the song? yes. But God's ways are better than mine. He's full of surprises that He knows will make me happy. I suspect He keeps each of our attentions differently. No one should judge another person's Christian growth processes. We're all different. Just like all songs are different and the artists who write them. Who is to say a person who started out as a secular writer can't be changed by God, too? And who dares say God can't use a secular song to speak to us? God can and WILL use what God sees fit to use.

Don't take this the wrong way...but perhaps God could have reached through some Christian music if you'd had made a habit of listening to it when you're in your car, upset and alone. God will get you were you live...even if you happen to be living in worldliness. That is the power of God. If God can make the rocks and the trees cry out, then I'm pretty sure he can use a 'freaky' child molester too.

I wasn't trying to judge anyone's Christian growth process. However, I believe that the growth process is largely determined upon whether you spend time focusing on the things of God...or things of the world. Secular music is, by definition, of the world.

Don't take this the wrong way...but perhaps God could have reached through some Christian music if you'd had made a habit of listening to it when you're in your car, upset and alone.

I was very young at that time and no one around me believed in God, only me. Being a teenager whose entire slew of peers was listening to secular music and mother and stepfather are hanging at bars, doing the same, you tell me you could pull off perfection...

God will get you were you live...even if you happen to be living in worldliness. That is the power of God. If God can make the rocks and the trees cry out, then I'm pretty sure he can use a 'freaky' child molester too.

Was that a judgement on Michael Jackson? Shame on you.

I wasn't trying to judge anyone's Christian growth process.

Your statement about a "freaky child molester" tells me otherwise.

However, I believe that the growth process is largely determined upon whether you spend time focusing on the things of God...or things of the world. Secular music is, by definition, of the world.

Again, God can use secular music. Not all secular music is bad. Not all "Christian" music is good.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/29/1974

MOUNTAIN OF GOD by 3rd day

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Again, God can use secular music. Not all secular music is bad. Not all "Christian" music is good.

Again, I agree that God can use anything. Never claimed otherwise. You have still not given evidence of "bad' Christian music. And yes, I was critical of Michael Jackson...but I was not judging his 'christian' growth. He was a devoted Jehovah's Witness who reportedly has converted to Islam...there isn't hardly any evidence of Christianity to judge him by.