IGNORED

"Good" People

Guest glorytothelord

Guest glorytothelord

We know several people who have told us when the topic of

Christianity has been raised, who have replied as above "I don't need religion to get to heaven because I am a good person".

Our latest friend really needs Christ and we have tried several times but it's just "not her thing". Has anyone else had the same experience ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gladiator4God

Sadly thats alot in my familys thinking too, were nice people so for sure we will get into heaven....... i have tried many times to open there eyes but so far no luck, i will keep them in the prayers and hope God will open there eyes

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, glory, I have. Frankly in this day and time, that's not uncommon. You also will come across many who have had just enough religion to "think" that they are "saved". Yet, they have not come to a point of repentance and surrender. They merely believe that Jesus is real, and that is all.

You might just present Truth from the Word. The Scriptures will present the Truth.

John 3:16

Romans 3:23

Acts 16:31

Luke 13:3

Titus 3:5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

Sometimes, if we use the foundation that the Commandments establish, it will help a person realize their need for a Savior. So, we have to sometimes discuss that all have sinned and speak of some of the Commandments and whether breaking any of them applies to that person, to bring that to realization. Then the discussion of repentance and salvation can begin.

I don't know if this helps any, but this is what I was thinking as I read your post.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Well Glory,

you are faced with a very common situation as others have pointed out.

In any debate, don't let them force you to provide answers. Make them do it. Never allow yourself to be on the defensive. Always put your opponent on the defense. Make THEM substantiate their claims. For example, ask them how good is good enough? What if you're 49% good but 51% bad? What if you're 60% good and 40% bad? What if you're 95% good and only 5% bad? In other words, what's the standard? Make them answer. And if they're crazy enough to come up with an answer, make them substantiate it with fact. "Where's your proof, where's your documentation?" They can't because it doesn't exist. Do all this in love and tenderness however, don't get hostile with them or you'll just blow them away further.

"Lord, I pray you would use Glory as an effective witness and tool in helping these people come to You, because You want them dearly. Soften their hearts and open their eyes, ears and minds to your perfect truth. To your perfect love! Let them know that you are God and your word is just and true. Let them know that You want them with You in eternity - in glory and peace and joy!"

Glory, pray and then: GO GET 'EM!!! :t2:

John

One other point Glory.

You must realize that some people just don't want to know or accept God. They want to do it themselves. Wether their reward be heaven or hell, they want to say to themselves, I did it! I did it my way.

Their are some people that are so far gone that it's close to impossible to reason with them.

Remember, you, I or any other person cannot bring someone to Christ. We cannot change them. ONLY the Holy Spirit can.

So don't be too down or discouraged if this girl (woman) rejects all you present. Allow yourself to be used by our Lord, plant the seed, pray and leave the rest up to Him!

John

Guest Mithrandir

This is why the Law needs to be used in evangelism...

Psalms 19:7

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul...

Romans 3: 19

Now we know that what things soever the law says, it says to them who are

under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may

become guilty before God.

Romans 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His

sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known

sin, but by the law...

Romans 2:15

Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also

bearing witness...

1 Tim 1:8-9

But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the

lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners...

Hebrews 9:27

And it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment;

2 Corinthians 7:10

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation...

When I witness to people the first thing I usually ask them is if they think that they are a good person, or if they think that they are good enough to get into heaven. Then I use God's Law, namely The Ten Commandments. I will ask them, "Have you ever told a lie?" The response is usually, Yes. Then I ask "What does that make you?" They usually say a 'sinner' or something along those lines. I'll say "no, more specifically what does that make you?" They might say a liar, alot of times I will need to ask them what you call a person that tells a lie. Do not steal, that makes you a thief, do not commit adultery, Jesus said that whoever looks upon a woman to lust after her has already commited adultery with her in his heart. Ask them the Law in question form, let them admit to breaking God's Law. It is the Holy Spirit that will save them not us. Then after they are broken before God's Law, then show them Jesus, they will better understand that Jesus took our place for the wrath of God. Only Jesus kept the whole Law. Law for the proud, grace to the humble.

There are great resources for evangelism at www.livingwaters.com. There is also a book there called "God doesn't believe in Athiests". The Law was made for those who think that they are good enough. The only way for a person to be saved is if they realize they are a sinner and need someone to save them. The Law tells us what sin is, like what Paul said in Romans 7:7.

In Christ,

Mithrandir

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

This is why the Law needs to be used in evangelism...

Psalms 19:7

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul...

Romans 3: 19

Now we know that what things soever the law says, it says to them who are

under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may

become guilty before God.

Romans 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His

sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known

sin, but by the law...

Romans 2:15

Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also

bearing witness...

1 Tim 1:8-9

But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the

lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners...

Hebrews 9:27

And it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment;

2 Corinthians 7:10

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation...

When I witness to people the first thing I usually ask them is if they think that they are a good person, or if they think that they are good enough to get into heaven. Then I use God's Law, namely The Ten Commandments. I will ask them, "Have you ever told a lie?" The response is usually, Yes. Then I ask "What does that make you?" They usually say a 'sinner' or something along those lines. I'll say "no, more specifically what does that make you?" They might say a liar, alot of times I will need to ask them what you call a person that tells a lie. Do not steal, that makes you a thief, do not commit adultery, Jesus said that whoever looks upon a woman to lust after her has already commited adultery with her in his heart. Ask them the Law in question form, let them admit to breaking God's Law. It is the Holy Spirit that will save them not us. Then after they are broken before God's Law, then show them Jesus, they will better understand that Jesus took our place for the wrath of God. Only Jesus kept the whole Law. Law for the proud, grace to the humble.

There are great resources for evangelism at www.livingwaters.com. There is also a book there called "God doesn't believe in Athiests". The Law was made for those who think that they are good enough. The only way for a person to be saved is if they realize they are a sinner and need someone to save them. The Law tells us what sin is, like what Paul said in Romans 7:7.

In Christ,

Mithrandir

Amen! Thank you for elaborating on that point Mithrandir.

And by the way, WELCOME to WorthyBoards!

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

The Lord Sanctify HIS Church!

One thing I have found is that with some you cannot witness with your words, but with your life. They read your living epistle and they see that you actually live the stuff you claim to be. The one thing that will kill a witness is if you talk about the Lord and let people know your Christian and then act in an ungodly manner.

The hardest ones for me to witness too are those in my own family, especially those who "claim" to be Christian but live like sinners. So in these instances I have to use the silent witness of my life and how I conduct myself daily to show them the love of Christ and HIS truth. Hope all that makes sense and helps in some way. May the Lord help all of us to be effective in our witness.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

One thing I have found is that with some you cannot witness with your words, but with your life. They read your living epistle and they see that you actually live the stuff you claim to be. The one thing that will kill a witness is if you talk about the Lord and let people know your Christian and then act in an ungodly manner.

The hardest ones for me to witness too are those in my own family, especially those who "claim" to be Christian but live like sinners. So in these instances I have to use the silent witness of my life and how I conduct myself daily to show them the love of Christ and HIS truth. Hope all that makes sense and helps in some way. May the Lord help all of us to be effective in our witness.

Dear Bloodstained Soul:

This is an awesome post! You're doin' just fine!!! I am in total agreement with you on this one. :t2:

One thing I have found is that with some you cannot witness with your words, but with your life.  They read your living epistle and they see that you actually live the stuff you claim to be.  The one thing that will kill a witness is if you talk about the Lord and let people know your Christian and then act in an ungodly manner.

The hardest ones for me to witness too are those in my own family, especially those who "claim" to be Christian but live like sinners.  So in these instances I have to use the silent witness of my life and how I conduct myself daily to show them the love of Christ and HIS truth.  Hope all that makes sense and helps in some way.  May the Lord help all of us to be effective in our witness.

BSS,

"A prophet is never accepted in his own home".

You are correct. We need to walk the walk, not just talk it. But... Did not Jesus act in a Godly manner? Yet those closest to Him rejected Him. In fact, the world rejected Him.

None of us is perfect. He was. Yet He was rejected. BSS, you're in good company! :t2:

Just some food for thought :o

God bless you richly brother!

John