Treasure

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

In all fairness, Marnie, how much do you know about Catholic theology.

What would you like to know?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

:rolleyes:

Looking forward to the rest of this thread. Should be very educational.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Well for starters, how do you defend this statement?

Marnie:

"The Cursillo movement has been around since the '50's, and is part of the Charismatic movement, which automatically makes it suspect, in my mind, given the dubious theology, or lack of theology".

The Catholic Charismatic movement is not to be confused with other denominations. In my Church, it is a return to a more Spirit-filled worship, rather than some new invention. Anyway, by definition, we Christians are ALL Charismatic.

So, exactly what part of the theology of Catholic Charismatic Renewal do you take issue with, Marnie?

Thanks,

Fiosh

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Marnie:

"The Cursillo movement has been around since the '50's, and is part of the Charismatic movement, which automatically makes it suspect, in my mind, given the dubious theology, or lack of theology".

The Catholic Charismatic movement is not to be confused with other denominations. In my Church, it is a return to a more Spirit-filled worship, rather than some new invention. Anyway, by definition, we Christians are ALL Charismatic.

So, exactly what part of the theology of Catholic Charismatic Renewal do you take issue with, Marnie?

Thanks,

Fiosh

I would like to know why you take issue, fiosh over so many divides? I mean you are speaking of 'charismatic RENEWAL" as if charisma is a divide to begin with in Christ. YOUR church never has spoken for the traditional Roman Catholic, yes?

Marnie:

Thanks,

Fiosh

I would like to know why you take issue, fiosh over so many divides? I mean you are speaking of 'charismatic RENEWAL" as if charisma is a divide to begin with in Christ. YOUR church never has spoken for the traditional Roman Catholic, yes?

I'm not sure what you are saying firehill. I am not speaking of "divides" at all. In fact, I specifically said that ALL Christians are charismatic...i.e. filled with the Holy Spirit and blessed with His gifts.

Peace,

Fiosh

I'm not Marnie and I'm sorry Marnie for jumping in here but I saw this post and couldn't keep from responding.

Place yourself in a comfortable position and allow yourself to become silent. Some Christians focus for a few moments on their breathing; other have a beloved "prayer word" or "prayer phrase" they gently recite in order to become interiorly silent. For some the practice known as "centering prayer" makes a good, brief introduction to lectio divina. Use whatever method is best for you and allow yourself to enjoy silence for a few moments

Then turn to the text and read it slowly, gently. Savor each portion of the reading, constantly listening for the "still, small voice" of a word or phrase that somehow says, "I am for you today.

Next take the word or phrase into yourself. Memorize it and slowly repeat it to yourself, allowing it to interact with your inner world of concerns, memories and ideas. Do not be afraid of "distractions." Memories or thoughts are simply parts of yourself which, when they rise up during lectio divina, are asking to be given to God along with the rest of your inner self. Allow this inner pondering, this rumination, to invite you into dialogue with God.

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/featu...ina/private.asp

I'm calling it quits for the night but will check this out tomorrow :rolleyes:

Be blessed everyone.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I'm not sure what you are saying firehill. I am not speaking of "divides" at all. In fact, I specifically said that ALL Christians are charismatic...i.e. filled with the Holy Spirit and blessed with His gifts.

:rolleyes:

I've alot to learn about catholic theology.

And I can't keep up with all the different movements. There's so many my head spins.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Marnie:

Thanks,

Fiosh

1. You'd be hard pressed to call much RC theology orthodox. Confession to man, worship of Mary, purgatory, prayers for the dead, the very essence of the Mass--crucifying Christ again, transubstantiation, etc. I mean the list goes on ad nauseum. There is very little Christian orthodoxy in the RCC.

2. The heresies of the Charismatic Movement, both within and without the RCC include the following--

>An over-emphasis on music. Repetition of the same phrase or verse countless times in an effort to gin up the Spirit . Matt. 6:7

There was a Charismatic conference going on at a hotel I was staying at and I heard the audience singing a Cat Stevens song like it was a hymn! I was amazed! This emphasis on music --any kind of music, apparently-- to appeal strictly to our emotions, to make us "feel" the presence of G-d, is an absurd notion to begin with because G-d is ALWAYS with us, whether we feel Him or not.

>An over-emphasis on the Holy Spirit. The Charismatics elevate the Holy Spirit to a level meant for the Jesus Christ, the Son of G-d. Christ alone is reason we assemble and worship, Col. 1:18; Phil. 2:6-8; John 15:21

>An over-emphasis on emotions. Laughing and crying in the spirit? At this same conference I witnessed the most amazing thing: women on the ground writhing, as if in childbirth! They were giving birth to "spiritual children!" Talk about over the edge heresies. Look, G-d gave us emotions so they are important. But we aren't supposed to check our brains at the door, either.

>An over-emphasis on the name of Jesus. What I mean by this is, the idea that you may pray or confess anything, tack on the name of Jesus and you are guaranteed the answer you want. They use "Jesus" like some kind of lucky talisman. This, of course, leads to another heresy, that of praying your own will and not G-d's will. Need you spouse saved? Just confess it, claim Acts 16:31, pray in Jesus' Name and watch it come to pass.

>An over-emphasis on "binding and losing." Especially on the idea of binding Satan. This comes from taking Matt. 16:18,19 and Matt. 18:18 out of context. If we were able to bind Satan, wouldn't he be bound then?? And this leads to another scary thing; that of basically ordering G-d to do what we want Him to do.

There's a lot more info available on the dangers of the Charismatic movement.

Anointing

False Doctrines

The Alpha Course heresy

False Prophets...Pseudo Apostles, & A New Gospel

Charismatic Chaos

Charismatic Heresies

I don't want to hijack another thread here, so if you need more on Charismatic Heresies just Google it and you'll find hundreds of sites. Be discerning though, some are junk sites, others, like the above, are good resources.

Marnie:

Thanks,

Fiosh

1. You'd be hard pressed to call much RC theology orthodox. Confession to man, worship of Mary, purgatory, prayers for the dead, the very essence of the Mass--crucifying Christ again, transubstantiation, etc. I mean the list goes on ad nauseum. There is very little Christian orthodoxy in the RCC.

2. The heresies of the Charismatic Movement, both within and without the RCC include the following--

>An over-emphasis on music. Repetition of the same phrase or verse countless times in an effort to gin up the Spirit . Matt. 6:7

There was a Charismatic conference going on at a hotel I was staying at and I heard the audience singing a Cat Stevens song like it was a hymn! I was amazed! This emphasis on music --any kind of music, apparently-- to appeal strictly to our emotions, to make us "feel" the presence of G-d, is an absurd notion to begin with because G-d is ALWAYS with us, whether we feel Him or not.

>An over-emphasis on the Holy Spirit. The Charismatics elevate the Holy Spirit to a level meant for the Jesus Christ, the Son of G-d. Christ alone is reason we assemble and worship, Col. 1:18; Phil. 2:6-8; John 15:21

>An over-emphasis on emotions. Laughing and crying in the spirit? At this same conference I witnessed the most amazing thing: women on the ground writhing, as if in childbirth! They were giving birth to "spiritual children!" Talk about over the edge heresies. Look, G-d gave us emotions so they are important. But we aren't supposed to check our brains at the door, either.

>An over-emphasis on the name of Jesus. What I mean by this is, the idea that you may pray or confess anything, tack on the name of Jesus and you are guaranteed the answer you want. They use "Jesus" like some kind of lucky talisman. This, of course, leads to another heresy, that of praying your own will and not G-d's will. Need you spouse saved? Just confess it, claim Acts 16:31, pray in Jesus' Name and watch it come to pass.

>An over-emphasis on "binding and losing." Especially on the idea of binding Satan. This comes from taking Matt. 16:18,19 and Matt. 18:18 out of context. If we were able to bind Satan, wouldn't he be bound then?? And this leads to another scary thing; that of basically ordering G-d to do what we want Him to do.

There's a lot more info available on the dangers of the Charismatic movement.

Anointing

False Doctrines

The Alpha Course heresy

False Prophets...Pseudo Apostles, & A New Gospel

Charismatic Chaos

Charismatic Heresies

I don't want to hijack another thread here, so if you need more on Charismatic Heresies just Google it and you'll find hundreds of sites. Be discerning though, some are junk sites, others, like the above, are good resources.

While much of what you say is true, it DOES NOT apply to Catholic Charismatics.

I don't want to hijack another thread here,

No, please continue.

women on the ground writhing, as if in childbirth!

I saw something similar when someone dragged me to a Rodney Howard Brown meeting.

They were giving birth to "spiritual children!"

Sounds like Mormon doctrine.

Again, I'm learning here too but there is so much danger involved in this kind of thing and there is so much of it out there. We need to know what we're ascribing to when we become a part of a church body.