Treasure

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

A church "movement" called "Cursillo". Since I'd never heard of this I had to check it out for myself. http://www.episcopalcursillo.org/i_whatis.html

The word "movement" sends up red flags to me to begin with and the things that I found here are no less alarming.

What does Cursillo do?

It helps to renew and deepen Christian commitment. Cursillo is one of many renewal movements.

Pre-Cursillo During

"During this period, sponsors (i.e. those individuals that have been to the

three-day Cursillo weekend and are living the Fourth Day) identify

those Episcopalians who are leading an active Christian life and are a

living witness to their love for Christ, recommending their candidacy."

These words scream "hazard" to me. As the Body of Christ, it is our priveledge to have a lifelong encounter with the Living God not prescribed three-day weekend that on the "Fourth Day", if we're living we may be recommended for candidacy. The only thing that we, as sinners, are candidates for is eternal damnation. Apart from the Blood of the Lamb we have no hope to be a candidate for anything.

"It is also the period that selected candidates are informed of what to expect at the three-day weekend and assisted in appropriate preparations."

The only "appropriate preparations" that we need are the Blood of Jesus while we remain in our earthly bodies and then to be transformed in the twinkling of an eye when we are caught up at the sound of the last trumpet.

"Lay people conduct the weekend with two or three members of the clergy functioning as spiritual advisors."

Did Jesus death on the cross not eliminate our need for a human mediator? Do I see a crystal ball on the horizon?

"The weekend begins Thursday evening spent in the Chapel with meditations, discussions, and Compline. Then blessed silence is kept until after the worship on Friday morning."

For anyone else who didn't know, the word compline means 7th canonical hour: in the Roman Catholic church, the last of the seven separate hours canonical hours that are set aside for prayer each day. It is synomous with the word comply (obey, fulfill, observe, conform, abide by, submit)

The word "meditations" seems to be part of the lingo in these type "church" settings. It saddens and angers me that so many people that are included in the Body but instead of looking to Christ we are content to meditate and free our minds to any kind of danger as long as it comes under the guise of "spirituality"

Fourth Day The Cursillo weekend is not an end to itself. It is a starting point that lasts the rest of your life. It is a springboard to a long-range practice of the Baptismal Covenant in the life of the Church called the Fourth Day. The Fourth Day is composed of three major elements:

The Group Reunion the heart of Cursillo, is a small group of friends (usually 3-5) who meet weekly, and who hold each other accountable for their spiritual journey. They report on their piety, their study, and their apostolic action. A bonding develops that institutes a strong support group for life.

The "support group" for the Body of Christ is to be the church.

The Ultreya

(An evening meeting for everyone who has attended a cursillo weekend. Singing, witnessing and comment by a spiritual director, a time to meet with 3 or 4 other people and each talk about their closest moment with Christ this week, followed by a big snack.]) which is usually held monthly, is a "reunion of the reunions". It provides support and builds community by allowing the sharing of communal experiences.

Our reunion as Christians will be that of our meeting our Father and our Savior in the place that He has prepared for us. Anything less than that is simply a cheap copy.

Spiritual Direction is an important element of the Cursillo Movement. It is a commitment to seek out skilled lay persons or cleric for spiritual direction to provide help in deepening their union with Christ.

Are there Cursillo Secrets?

You may have been told by some who have attended the weekend that they cannot tell you what Cursillo is all about or what goes on during a Three-day weekend. This is not correct. Everything that goes on during the weekend may be told to anyone. Cursillo literature is available to anyone who wishes to read or purchase the materials.

When the Body is functioning as it should, there is no question of secrets. The Body of Christ is freely open to all who believe, confess and repent.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

You are looking for skeletons in the wrong closet. Cursillo is not all that different from what the early church did to promote spiritual growth among the members. Cursillo provides an opportunity for serious believers to spend time together, renewing their relationship with Jesus, and helping each other to keep their lives God-focused.

Acts 2:42

They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers.

I'm looking into this but I obviously don't agree with you. This appears to be something of genuine concern rather than my digging for skeletons that aren't there.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

The people I know who have been to these gatherings have come out much stronger Christians for it.

Guest lovinghim4ever
The people I know who have been to these gatherings have come out much stronger Christians for it.

Me too Leanard. Me too! :emot-handshake::thumbsup:

This is what I found when looking into it more. Take from it what you will. http://www.ictisp.com/~rrodrigu/cursillos/eng/chapter2-4.htm If the link doesn't work I apologize. I'm not so good at that.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:whistling: from damo1

no i have not heard of this one that is mentioned yet the unitting church and other mixed denominations around hear in australia have been doing a diffrent thing which is called the emause walk and has a 4th day same set up you go away for the hole weekend which is sponcerd by the pastors or the elders and you are encouraged in your walk i did this when i was a member of the uniting church they are also taking the emause walk into jails know anmd the chaplins are doing this yet i have jotted the sight down that you have given and my self and sevral in my church wil look at it thanks

from damo1

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The Cursillo movement has been around since the '50's, and is part of the Charismatic movement, which automatically makes it suspect, in my mind, given the dubious theology, or lack of theology.

Also, given the fact that it originated with the Roman Catholic church (duh!), I would wonder why any born again person would want to dabble in this blatant new age, overly emotional, theologically barren nonsense. The place you learn about Christ and Christianity is the Church, where the Word is properly and rightly divided by one who knows doctrine, not at an "encounter group," not from a dozen amateur speakers and an audience easily carried away by the latest whim of doctrine.

True spiritual renewal comes from within, when a person filled with the Holy Ghost abandons themselves to Him and consecrates themselves to G-d's will, not from ginning up emotions over a weekend getaway.

:emot-highfive: I think Cindy called this one.

Other Spiritual Expressions and Movements

Prayer Cycles

The Bishop urges the use of the Prayer Cycle for the Bishop Suffragan for Chaplaincies (available on the website) as well as other Anglican and non-Anglican cycles of prayer in private prayer and at every service of public worship. Some chaplains have found it helpful to create a cycle of prayer to systematically remember all of the personnel and organizational units of the institution or command to which the chaplain is attached. Prayer cycles provide a systematic way for remembering, affirming, and expressing our concern for the totality of Christ's church.

The Episcopal Church, along with other Christian communions, has received many blessings from the charismatic renewal movement. There is a place for an ongoing charismatic fellowship within this episcopacy. All must follow the clear teaching, faith and practice of the Episcopal Church as embodied in the canons, Book of Common Prayer, and Scripture.

Cursillo

The Cursillo, Episcopal Expression, is well established and becoming an important part of the ministry in some parts of this episcopacy. Cursillos are overseen by the Bishop Suffragan and operate under his pastoral guidance. The Episcopal Expression of Cursillo adheres carefully to the faith and practice of the Book of Common Prayer. As not all persons are called to share in this form of renewal, each person

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

The Cursillo movement has been around since the '50's, and is part of the Charismatic movement, which automatically makes it suspect, in my mind, given the dubious theology, or lack of theology.

In all fairness, Marnie, how much do you know about Catholic theology.