Treasure

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

While much of what you say is true, it DOES NOT apply to Catholic Charismatics.

Really? Actually, I believe all of it is true.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but (1) Much RCC doctrine is heretical, therefore why would any born again individual want to get within 10 feet of any version of it; (2) Did you bother to read the links I supplied? Some of them were written by former RC's who got mixed up in the Charismatic Movement; (3) It is anecdotal, BUT at the conference I saw, there was a bunch of priests at the head table. As I said, it is anecdotal, so you can dismiss it since I can't prove it; (4) Can you outline the differences between the RCC Charismatic Movement (or "Renewal", which has been going on since the 70's, so I wonder why it hasn't renewed yet) and other versions of it.

I would love to read the systematic theology of the RCC Charismatic Movement, if you have the time. :24:

In the interests of full disclosure, I consider myself Pentecostal, but decidedly not Charismatic.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I'm not sure what you are saying firehill. I am not speaking of "divides" at all. In fact, I specifically said that ALL Christians are charismatic...i.e. filled with the Holy Spirit and blessed with His gifts.

:24:

I've alot to learn about catholic theology.

And I can't keep up with all the different movements. There's so many my head spins.

Boy you sure do. All Christians are not charismatic. All Christians should be "full gospel," believing in the present day manifestation of the Holy Spirit in and through believers, but to lump all believers together as "charismatics" is just not right. The core "teachings"of the modern Charismatic movement are from the RCC, and all versions of this movement take their cues from those teachings.

But historically, and this bears mentioning, the modern Charismatic Movement has its roots in the Latter Rain movements of the mid 20th century.

A most excellent history of the Charismatic Movement can be found here.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

In reading of the history of the charismatic movement, I saw Earl Paulk mentioned. The pastor of the church (Hope Community Church) that my family was very involved in 7 years ago was mentored by Earl Paulk. A large group from my church went to Paulk's church for an ordination of Bishop's (or something like that) service. My husband and I actually moved to get away from Hope Community Church. It's pretty scary that a church could have that kind of hold on you.

Thanks for the links Marn.