• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Feminist says Hillary Clinton plays the 'victim'

Kate Michelman, advisor to the Edwards campaign, says the sole woman Democrat hopeful raises 'white flag' when pressed.

By Richard B. Schmitt, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

November 4, 2007

WASHINGTON -- A prominent feminist, allied with the presidential campaign of former Sen. John Edwards, accused Democratic front-runner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Saturday of "disingenuously playing the victim card" by infusing her campaign with messages about gender.

"When unchallenged, in a comfortable, controlled situation, Sen. Clinton embraces her political elevation into the 'boys club,' " Kate Michelman, the former president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, wrote in a posting on a blog of the liberal group Open Left.

"But when she's challenged, when legitimate questions are asked, questions she should be prepared to answer and discuss, she is just as quick to raise the white flag and look for a change in the rules," Michelman said. "It's trying to have it both ways."

The missive by Michelman, a senior advisor to the Edwards campaign, was the latest salvo in a week in which gender flared as an issue in the Democratic presidential contest. Her cutting comments were publicized by the Edwards campaign in a press release.

The issue erupted after the Clinton campaign complained that male Democratic rivals at Tuesday night's presidential debate in Philadelphia had subjected her to a "pile-on."

At the debate, Clinton appeared to give nonspecific answers on several topics, such as on whether she supported the controversial plan of New York's Democratic governor, Eliot Spitzer, to give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Democratic rivals seized the moment as an opportunity to portray Clinton as a calculating candidate with chameleon-like views.

Clinton's campaign subsequently posted a video on her website called "The Politics of Pile-On" that showed clips of the men at the debate uttering her name in rapid-fire succession.

On Thursday, she gave a speech at her alma mater, Wellesley College, in which she spoke about her effort to break into "the all-boys club of presidential politics."

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, a top rival to Clinton in the Democratic race, said of the New York senator Friday that when "people start challenging her point of view, that suddenly she backs off and says, 'Don't pick on me.' "

Michelman reacted similarly.

"At one minute the strong woman ready to lead, the next, she's the woman under attack, disingenuously playing the victim card as a means of trying to avoid giving honest, direct answers to legitimate questions," Michelman wrote of Clinton.

"It is not presidential," Michelman said, adding that women "know better than to use our gender as a shield when the questions get too hot."

Phil Singer, spokesman for the Clinton campaign, said Saturday that Edwards, who represented North Carolina, and the other candidates were fabricating an issue out of desperation.

"The other candidates aren't going after Sen. Clinton because she's a woman, they're going after her because she's leading in the polls," Singer said. "Voters will make a decision about whether John Edwards' pledges to be positive" were anything more than just a political tactic.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

Feminist says Hillary Clinton plays the 'victim'

Kate Michelman, advisor to the Edwards campaign, says the sole woman Democrat hopeful raises 'white flag' when pressed.

By Richard B. Schmitt, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

November 4, 2007

WASHINGTON -- A prominent feminist, allied with the presidential campaign of former Sen. John Edwards, accused Democratic front-runner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Saturday of "disingenuously playing the victim card" by infusing her campaign with messages about gender.

"When unchallenged, in a comfortable, controlled situation, Sen. Clinton embraces her political elevation into the 'boys club,' " Kate Michelman, the former president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, wrote in a posting on a blog of the liberal group Open Left.

"But when she's challenged, when legitimate questions are asked, questions she should be prepared to answer and discuss, she is just as quick to raise the white flag and look for a change in the rules," Michelman said. "It's trying to have it both ways."

The missive by Michelman, a senior advisor to the Edwards campaign, was the latest salvo in a week in which gender flared as an issue in the Democratic presidential contest. Her cutting comments were publicized by the Edwards campaign in a press release.

The issue erupted after the Clinton campaign complained that male Democratic rivals at Tuesday night's presidential debate in Philadelphia had subjected her to a "pile-on."

At the debate, Clinton appeared to give nonspecific answers on several topics, such as on whether she supported the controversial plan of New York's Democratic governor, Eliot Spitzer, to give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Democratic rivals seized the moment as an opportunity to portray Clinton as a calculating candidate with chameleon-like views.

Clinton's campaign subsequently posted a video on her website called "The Politics of Pile-On" that showed clips of the men at the debate uttering her name in rapid-fire succession.

On Thursday, she gave a speech at her alma mater, Wellesley College, in which she spoke about her effort to break into "the all-boys club of presidential politics."

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, a top rival to Clinton in the Democratic race, said of the New York senator Friday that when "people start challenging her point of view, that suddenly she backs off and says, 'Don't pick on me.' "

Michelman reacted similarly.

"At one minute the strong woman ready to lead, the next, she's the woman under attack, disingenuously playing the victim card as a means of trying to avoid giving honest, direct answers to legitimate questions," Michelman wrote of Clinton.

"It is not presidential," Michelman said, adding that women "know better than to use our gender as a shield when the questions get too hot."

Phil Singer, spokesman for the Clinton campaign, said Saturday that Edwards, who represented North Carolina, and the other candidates were fabricating an issue out of desperation.

"The other candidates aren't going after Sen. Clinton because she's a woman, they're going after her because she's leading in the polls," Singer said. "Voters will make a decision about whether John Edwards' pledges to be positive" were anything more than just a political tactic.

I do feel like she may be playing that card a little unwisely. At the same time, I think it's fine to point out that she's being treated differently; someone from her campaign made the remark that Obama wouldn't be subjected to the kind of scrutiny she's endured because nobody wants to appear racist - but that in America, it's still okay to come off as sexist (in subtext if not blatantly). I think that's fair to say. For the most part Clinton just handles it and doesn't address the root of it, what may be troubling to her - indeed to all women.

I empathize, and I've actually come to respect her a good deal more over the last few months watching her deal with everything (and still come across as the most collected candidate, however I feel about some of her stances). As a female, you're really in a tough, lose-lose situation. If you show too much emotion, you're accused of being governed by your feelings, an "emotional" woman. When a man sheds tears over an issue, it's a touching nod to vulnerability and it generally helps voters to identify with him, as if he's revealing some tenderness. But if a woman doesn't show much emotion because of the risk of being labeled "wishy-washy," she's "a robot," "cold," "unapproachable," and the butt of a lot of jokes. You hear this with Clinton a lot - and I think she's navigated around those stereotypes fairly well, especially in some of her brilliant debate moments. I'm thinking of the question she fielded about whether leaders of countries where women are treated as second-class would take her seriously; she began by citing examples of negotiations she'd undertaken with such leaders, then stopped and delivered a satisfying smack: "I believe that there isn’t much doubt in anyone’s mind that I can be taken seriously."

Also, I think that the stupidity of the WaPo article on her "cleavage" has to do with discomfort over her femininity. I really wanted to tell that writer to get OVER it.

i don't really think she is being treated unfairly... she may be treated differently than other democratic politicians, with whom the media generally play softball, but she's certainly not treated any differently than ALL candidates (or politicians) should be treated. they should all be under intense scrutiny.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

I think people just want Bill Clinton back in office, and this is the closest they can get. People are hoping the Clinton economy of the 90's will come back if she gets elected.

So, which is it....Mrs President, or Madam President?

Better start practicing now, because unless it's revealed that she's really a space alien with a tiny tail and an eye on the back of her head, It looks like she's going to become the next Pres. :emot-shakehead:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I think people just want Bill Clinton back in office, and this is the closest they can get. People are hoping the Clinton economy of the 90's will come back if she gets elected.

So, which is it....Mrs President, or Madam President?

Better start practicing now, because unless it's revealed that she's really a space alien with a tiny tail and an eye on the back of her head, It looks like she's going to become the next Pres. :36:

Don't say that!!!!

:42::36::blink::emot-shakehead::noidea:

that's assuming a lot. we're not even through the primaries yet. there are a LOT of people who DON'T want the clintons back in office. she may be the front runner for their party while the republicans are still scrambling to choose between the candidates, but this race is far from over.

besides, if you'll recall, i remember everyone being so sure about howard dean a few years back. he was a front runner that everyone thought was a surefire thing, and look what happened to him.

Hey! You guys gotta try this! I found this really neat page where you can draw on Hillary. Just left click on your mouse and hold it down to draw. (I just got finished drawing her to look like Hitler.) :noidea:

It's a hoot! :emot-shakehead:

http://www.guessthepresident.com/fun/presi...officialpic.php

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hey! You guys gotta try this! I found this really neat page where you can draw on Hillary. Just left click on your mouse and hold it down to draw. (I just got finished drawing her to look like Hitler.) :wacko:

It's a hoot! :emot-hug:

http://www.guessthepresident.com/fun/presi...officialpic.php

LOL!

that's assuming a lot. we're not even through the primaries yet. there are a LOT of people who DON'T want the clintons back in office. she may be the front runner for their party while the republicans are still scrambling to choose between the candidates, but this race is far from over.

besides, if you'll recall, i remember everyone being so sure about howard dean a few years back. he was a front runner that everyone thought was a surefire thing, and look what happened to him.

Howard who? :whistling:

I believe that most Americans are fed up with the Republican party in general and want a change. (I myself, and my family, are Republicans.)

IMO, I also believe that people really like novelty. The Clinton name, and the fact she would be the first woman President is hard to resist for many Americans.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think a Democrat is going to be the next President. Be it Hillary or Obama. And I think Obama won't get it because of his lack of experience.

Also, the choice of Republican candidates is pretty horrid.