Need help with a computer problem

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Last night I let my 18 yo daughter use my computer, and when I turned it on just now to use it, I found that she did something to it, but I don't know what she did and I can't figure out how to fix it.

There is no red being displayed. All the colors look off because she somehow turned the red off. Can anyone help me fix this?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

WIthout more info can not help too much, however at this point in time check the following.

Is the monitor cable loose , somtimes it only needs to wiggle a little bit loose to loose part of the connection, just make sure cable is pushed in fully .

Another possibility is that the monitors settings have been changed. just about every monitor comes with controls similar to any tv, you have physical buttons and knobs, depending on monitor type to change things like brightness and contrast, most also have a sperate colour value change, it is possible that this could be messed with.

3rd you may have had the software settings changed for your graphics card. I have NVidia drivers and control panel which allows me to ajust the colours gamma brightness contrast etc , you may see this if you go into Windows COntrol Panel -> DIsplay -> Settings -> Advanced

It would help to know what you are using, your graphics card and Operating System such as XP or VIsta.

in mean time simply try the above suggestions if these dont work then report back what you did and more info about your computer. Thanks

Thanks, Andrew. I already tried most of the things you suggested.

I still don't know what she did to my machine - however, System Restore is my friend! :laugh::cool::thumbsup: I did a Restore to yesterday, and the colors are fine again.

When my daughter gets home from school tonight, though, you can imagine she's gonna be getting an earful...

Actually, I have another computer problem that has me puzzled. I use Outlook Express for my email, and for the past few days, I cannot send out any emails. As far as I know, I'm receiving my emails Ok. Any suggestions?

bump

Can anyone help me with the email problem? I can't send out any emails using Outlook Express - it tells me that the user is unknown in the local recipient table. What local recipient table?

And System Restore didn't solve this one. :thumbsup:

what internet service provider do you use for sending emails? (i.e., the last half of your email addy is the name of your isp)

i'm going to suggest this based on my isp.... i use cox.net. if i was in your situation, i would go to the cox.net website and hunt down the instructions for setting up outlook express to send and receive mail, because they MAY have changed something. in your email account properties (on outlook), there are places to indicate the server info for incoming and outgoing mail. it may be pop.cox.net or mail.cox.net or smtp.cox.net. you need to check with your isp and compare it to how you have yours set up to make sure it is configured properly.

if, after comparing it, you find that it is configured properly, contact your ISP and ask them to run a "traceroute" on your mail server. this is actually the most likely scenario, that there is a server down somewhere between your isp and your computer. a traceroute will locate where the problem is and your isp can re-route you through another server.

when i had earthlink, they were notorious for these kinds of problems... and when i'd call and tell them to run a traceroute, they'd invariably make me go through five million steps with them on the phone before finally conceding to do a traceroute, which ALWAYS turned out to be the problem. i finally quit earthlink after this happened about ten times. so if you get someone on the other end telling you to 'try this first', say NO, please run a traceroute first, and if that isn't the problem, THEN we'll walk thru it step by step.

Thanks so much, LadyC! I had to get offline yesterday right after I read your reply, so I didn't get to take your advice till today. But the website had the information I needed to solve the problem. My ISP had changed the settings for the outgoing mail. For years, it's been the same as the setting for incoming mail, but apparently they changed it earlier this month.

An email from the server informing customers of the changed setting would have been nice, but oh well.

Thanks again!