• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Just wondering how you all feel about having to mourn over a dead body or pay respects over the dead before putting them in the ground? Now I'm dying to see how "Kari's" going to "make light" out of this topic?? Though nothing would surprise me with that girl. She's so crazy! Funny kind of crazy though!

Really, do you believe in everyone getting together and mourning over the dead as to pay respects. I know for me , I've already made my intentions be known when this tired body goes kapoot! I want everyone to celebrate, have a nice dinner party with Gumbo, Jambalaya, Boiled Seafood, and just going back over our past and remembering all the laughs and jokes we pulled on each other; the times we laughed and cried, Like the time my cousin and I were practicing our dance steps in her mother's living room and I spun her around and spun her into the window and broke a pane, then we moved into her room where there was more room and I spun her once more and spun her into her bedroom window....guess what......yep....another broken window. Or the time my best friend was showing our girlfriends (now wives) how my then girlfriend was trying to get up on water skiis and she fell down, when he imitated her falling back he fell into my mom and dad's glass pane door and it shattered into a million pieces. He wondered for hours how angry my dad would be with him, but when they got home and we told them the story of the "water ski incident" they laughed the rest of the night.......So many good times......yea!

Sorry, don't know how I ever got this far? Probably should have opened another topic with the latter part of that one! lolol

In God' love

Cajunboy

funerals and wakes are not for the dead. they're for the survivors. i feel it's very important, as a show of respect and sympathy for the family.

but for the record, i've yet to ever go to a depressing wake. the funerals are sad, but the wake is generally fairly festive. lots of food, quite a few laughs, some sharing of fond memories. i always thought it was kind of odd, and thought "if it were one of my own immediate family members, i wouldn't be having a good time". but then it WAS one of my immediate family members, and i have photos to remind myself that we were all having a pretty good time at the post-funeral wake.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

My thoughts are that there is a world of difference when you go to a christian funeral from one of someone who has not known the Lord.

A christian funeral is where the friends and relatives are sad to have lost their friend/relative but are happy that they will see them again and that they are now with the Lord and can rejoice in that.

Unfortunately a lot of people out there think that everyone goes to heaven. Which of course we know is not true.

I agree that you need to show respect and empathy for the family, sometimes depending on the leading of the Holy Spirit it can be a time of witnessing.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

The passing of a friend or loved one is very hard, but a fact of life.

I don't go to funeral homes, I've seen enough dead bodies for several life times and don't care to see anymore.

I prefer to remember the person as I knew them. I will for a close friend or family member accompany them on their last trip and say goodbye, but thats it. Some people feel the need to have a party, thats ok, as for me, when I check out, just say goodbye and then go about your business.

funerals and wakes are not for the dead. they're for the survivors. i feel it's very important, as a show of respect and sympathy for the family.

but for the record, i've yet to ever go to a depressing wake. the funerals are sad, but the wake is generally fairly festive. lots of food, quite a few laughs, some sharing of fond memories. i always thought it was kind of odd, and thought "if it were one of my own immediate family members, i wouldn't be having a good time". but then it WAS one of my immediate family members, and i have photos to remind myself that we were all having a pretty good time at the post-funeral wake.

You may have a good point there Lady C, I just don't see any point in ignoring someone most of your life, for those who have done it, and because someone is passed, having to show your respect suddenly. Seems to me, if you respected someone you might want to proove that by showing it when they're alive? Wouldn't you think. And how much respect is that for the close "loved one" of the newly departed to have to listed to people giggling and cackling not knowing or understand what other's are laughing about. At least that's what I've noted the few times I've done visitations here at the wake of a relative.

My thoughts are that there is a world of difference when you go to a christian funeral from one of someone who has not known the Lord.

A christian funeral is where the friends and relatives are sad to have lost their friend/relative but are happy that they will see them again and that they are now with the Lord and can rejoice in that.

Unfortunately a lot of people out there think that everyone goes to heaven. Which of course we know is not true.

I agree that you need to show respect and empathy for the family, sometimes depending on the leading of the Holy Spirit it can be a time of witnessing.

Isn't that a form of "judging" the person you are mourning Carol? I mean, do we really know if "We" are even definately saved, let alone someone who has kept their beliefs hidden or only between themselves and God? Or does the "funeral home" or "Christian Church" proclaim who is or isn't Christian? Not sure how you're coming by that conclusion?

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that a form of "judging" the person you are mourning Carol? I mean, do we really know if "We" are even definately saved, let alone someone who has kept their beliefs hidden or only between themselves and God? Or does the "funeral home" or "Christian Church" proclaim who is or isn't Christian? Not sure how you're coming by that conclusion?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.56

funerals and wakes are not for the dead. they're for the survivors.

Agreed

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

When my spirit separates permanently from this physical body, that will be my Graduation Day, for I will have just graduated from this physical life into a much more glorious life with my precious Savior. So, for me, I want all my friends and family to throw a Graduation Party. Of course, I don't need the party to feel all glowing inside because I've achieved a milestone in my life for I will be truly glowing in the presence of my Lord Jesus.

The Graduation Party is for the benefit of all my friends (both of them) and my family as it will testify that I have truly graduated to a much better place than I previously had. It will remind them that the death of a child of God is truly a time to celebrate, for said child is now in the presence of their Lord and Savior, enjoying an eternal life in the Presence of God Almighty. What a Joyous occasion!!

In my opinion, the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth by those who are still alive here on earth when a loved one ceases to physically exist is only appropriate if that loved one had never accepted Jesus as their Savior in this life, for then their eternal abode is so horrible that such weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth being done by the living is appropriate to the place those dead individuals are experiencing. Well did Dante place over the gates of hell the phrase "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here".

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/26/1969

Just wondering how you all feel about having to mourn over a dead body or pay respects over the dead before putting them in the ground? Now I'm dying to see how "Kari's" going to "make light" out of this topic?? Though nothing would surprise me with that girl. She's so crazy! Funny kind of crazy though!

Really, do you believe in everyone getting together and mourning over the dead as to pay respects. I know for me , I've already made my intentions be known when this tired body goes kapoot! I want everyone to celebrate, have a nice dinner party with Gumbo, Jambalaya, Boiled Seafood, and just going back over our past and remembering all the laughs and jokes we pulled on each other; the times we laughed and cried, Like the time my cousin and I were practicing our dance steps in her mother's living room and I spun her around and spun her into the window and broke a pane, then we moved into her room where there was more room and I spun her once more and spun her into her bedroom window....guess what......yep....another broken window. Or the time my best friend was showing our girlfriends (now wives) how my then girlfriend was trying to get up on water skiis and she fell down, when he imitated her falling back he fell into my mom and dad's glass pane door and it shattered into a million pieces. He wondered for hours how angry my dad would be with him, but when they got home and we told them the story of the "water ski incident" they laughed the rest of the night.......So many good times......yea!

Sorry, don't know how I ever got this far? Probably should have opened another topic with the latter part of that one! lolol

In God' love

Cajunboy

Shalom Cajunboy :whistling:

i was merely reading through the post, and so i thought i would share my Epitaph that i have already written. and i think that this would explain my personal view on the subject:

Bring not flowers nor tears,

But celebrate with loud praise.

For, though, I have spent my years

As of such a waste of days,

No one is happier than I,

So, please, don't cry.

Peace and Lovingkindness,

Yochanan