• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/16/1991

I think that the spirit of the law and the letter of the law are equal in importance how can one understand the letter of the law without the spirit and if one breaks the letter of the law then surely the spirit of the law is broken also. at least that is my opinion be it as it may

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Personally, I tend to lean on the side of the spirit (when it comes to everyday law as well as moral).

So which consideration is more important to interpreting the Bible?

The 'spirit' of the law.

IMO: To keep the 'letter' of the law is easier than the 'spirit' of the law. For the 'letter' is visible and plainly seen, the 'spirit' is inward and goes beyond and much deeper.

On our own strength we can not keep either the spirit or the letter of the law. Both the spirit and letter of the law are gifts, but one is external to us and the other alive in us.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  63

Which is more important: the spirit of the law, or the letter of the law?

Must we choose one to the exclusion of the other?

that would be impossible.

There is no "spirit" of a law that has not been written

What are you meaning? Do you mean that every law has been written and that all we need is our intelligence - to memorize the written laws and discern how they apply to our particular circumstances?

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  37
  • Birthday:  09/11/1969

Read 2 Corinthians Chapter 3. This whole Chapter is on The Spirit or the Letter. If you want to know truth,go to the source.

Sister in Christ.

What are you meaning? Do you mean that every law has been written and that all we need is our intelligence - to memorize the written laws and discern how they apply to our particular circumstances?

well...yea...sort of.

I mean that one can not know the Spirit of the Law without the letter of the law.

The "spirit" of any law is it's ultimate purpose for being.

Example: I know that the "spirit" of the speed limit is to protect innocent people from reckless people that would drive 80 miles an hour through a neighborhood with small children playing. But I can find what has been determined as "safe" by reading the letter of the law posted on a speed limit sign. I could decide for myself what a safe speed would be...but even that would be based on prior knowledge of what has been determined as "safe" in other places I've been.

However, if one of those kids needs to go to a hospital, I could break the letter of the law by driving beyond the legal speed limit and still be in keeping with the spirit of the law because I am preserving life. No judge would rule against me driving faster than the law allows at that moment.

Why guess about something so important when there is a sign for us to know what the safest speed is??? Some neighborhoods might look safe to drive fast to a person that doesn't really know the neighborhood, so it is only wise to inquire of the law to find out. If there is a "letter of the law" and we decide that we know better than the authority who made the law, then we are in rebellion and subject to the penalty of breaking that law...even if we do it in ignorance because we didn't look for that sign.

But there is no "spirit" of a law that doesn't exist in letter somewhere. Making the "spirit" of the law about what we think it should be is NOT biblical faith. It's the greek spirit of secular humanism.

That would be every man becoming a law unto himself. Also known as "lawlessness" or anarchy.

Guest shiloh357

well...yea...sort of.

I mean that one can not know the Spirit of the Law without the letter of the law.

The "spirit" of any law is it's ultimate purpose for being.

Example: I know that the "spirit" of the speed limit is to protect innocent people from reckless people that would drive 80 miles an hour through a neighborhood with small children playing. But I can find what has been determined as "safe" by reading the letter of the law posted on a speed limit sign. I could decide for myself what a safe speed would be...but even that would be based on prior knowledge of what has been determined as "safe" in other places I've been.

However, if one of those kids needs to go to a hospital, I could break the letter of the law by driving beyond the legal speed limit and still be in keeping with the spirit of the law because I am preserving life. No judge would rule against me driving faster than the law allows at that moment.

Why guess about something so important when there is a sign for us to know what the safest speed is??? Some neighborhoods might look safe to drive fast to a person that doesn't really know the neighborhood, so it is only wise to inquire of the law to find out. If there is a "letter of the law" and we decide that we know better than the authority who made the law, then we are in rebellion and subject to the penalty of breaking that law...even if we do it in ignorance because we didn't look for that sign.

But there is no "spirit" of a law that doesn't exist in letter somewhere. Making the "spirit" of the law about what we think it should be is NOT biblical faith. It's the greek spirit of secular humanism.

That would be every man becoming a law unto himself. Also known as "lawlessness" or anarchy.

Very good explanation Yod!

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I'll have to agree with everyone that the two are equal. You cannot have the spirit of the law without the letter. Jesus did say we are now living under grace, but that is only because keeping the law doesn't save us; we will then be claiming salvation by works, and Isiah told us that all our righteousness is but a filthy rag to God. We cannot be saved by keeping the law; the law was given to us to show us that we cannot keep it on our own. Jesus said he came not to abolish the law but to fulfull it. I believe he came to fulfill the letter and the spirit of the law for mankind that cannot do it however hard we tried. Even though we are saved through grace, we can allow the Holy spirit to work in us to help us keep the letter and live by the spirit of the law.

:thumbsup:

Cool Question :)

:noidea:

What The World Needs Now

The Law Giver On The Commandments

And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him,

Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Mark 12:28-31

But The Trouble With Our Sinning Ways

Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD.

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul:

all they that hate me love death.

Proverbs 8:34-36

Is Our Sin Would Make Love Impossible

When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Matthew 19:25-26

But For God Who So Loved Us

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

And Because He Is Love

He that loveth not knoweth not God;

for God is love.

1 John 4:8

We Love Jesus Christ

We love him,

because he first loved us.

1 John 4:19

And His Words

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart:

for I am called by thy name,

O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

So Look Up

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered:

for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said,

and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Joel 2:32

And Trust

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him,

and he shall direct thy paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Jesus

:emot-pray:

:emot-heartbeat:

And Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love Joe

Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips. Psalms 141:3