• Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

Public Radio Broadcast 'Deep Fried Christ' Skit

By Penny Starr

CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer

January 11, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - Some of the people who tuned into public radio station KCPW in St. Lake City, Utah, recently weren't laughing at the satire poking fun at a Mike Huckabee "family recipe." More than a few of them, in fact, were outraged by the "Huck and the Eucharist" skit, which aired Jan. 7 on the "Fair Game with Faith Salie" program.

The transcript, in part, said: "Try this Huckabee family favorite. Deep-Fried Body of Christ - boring holy wafers no more. Take one Eucharist. Preferably post transubstantiation. Deep-fry in fat, not vegetable oil, ladies, until crispy. Serve piping hot."

Many sent e-mails to Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights. "At that point, we decided to issue a press release to 500 media outlets around the country," Donohue told Cybercast News Service.

The press release said the Catholic League was lodging a formal complaint with Ed Sweeney, general manager of KCPW - who also was the recipient of more than 500 angry e-mails in the days following the airing of the program.

Public Radio International (PRI), which produces the show and then distributes it to KCPW and other public radio stations around the country, pulled the content, and Faith Salie issued an apology on her program on Thursday.

"It happened, and it's unfortunate," Sweeney told Cybercast News Service, adding that public radio stations don't know what the content of programs are until they air. "I myself am a practicing Catholic, and I sleep well at night."

Donohue said he was satisfied with the apology and that the content was pulled, but the league's press release launched a whirlwind of reaction in cyberspace, from the multiple responses to KCPW's blog by the station's news director, Bryan Schott, to a host of religious sites.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) received $393 million in federal tax dollars for fiscal year 2008. In 2007, according to a spokesman for CPB, the agency gave a grant of $200,000 to the producers of "Fair Game with Faith Salie" for research and development of the show. KCPW, like all public radio stations, receives tax funding through CPB.

PRI did not respond to Cybercast News Service's request for comment, despite multiple calls made to the organization's communications director.

Donohue said that, as a Catholic, he felt he must accept the apology and move on. But he added that this kind of mocking of the Christian faith is "fair game," even on programs funded by the CPB, which includes in its online mission statement the following: "The Corporation is accountable to the public for investing its funds in programs and services which are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflective of America's common values and cultural diversity."

"We've been talking about this for years," said Donohue, who has been president of the Catholic League since 1993. "It would have been regarded as positively intolerant if it had been written about blacks, Jews, or Muslims."

He blames much of the defamation of Christians on the people in the entertainment, publishing, and academic fields, which have significant influence on popular culture, he said.

"These are the generators of ideas with a decidedly secular outlook and who are clearly hostile toward Christianity, and particularly Roman Catholics," Donohue said.

One of the Web sites that saw a flurry of reaction to the controversy was www.getreligion.org. Syndicated columnist Terry Mattingly wrote on his blog about the Huckabee skit, and close to 50 people chimed in. Most said that they found the show's transcript insulting to Catholics.

Still others questioned whether such satire about other religions would make the cut on public radio.

Mattingly also wondered in his blog if all the debate about the "Fair Game" content shouldn't have caused another kind of response from public radio.

"And will NPR do a straight national news story about this controversy?" Mattingly wrote. "Just asking."

LINK

And This little gem

It's hard to believe how far we've fallen as a Christian nation....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

It's nice to see some of these secular jabs at Christianity backfire. We Christians really should speak out about these sorts of attacks and make it abundantly clear that the media takes great risks when they disrespect Christianity.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/19/1983

Blasphemy. And a prime example of it. Both cases.

And they call it "mistakes"?. I hope, and pray, she does one day realise what she said and asks God to forgive her. People are hardening their hearts against God so much today that its scary. And we have to speak up against things like this too.

GOD IS THE WAY

TV Man Proudly Right In His Sight

Disdains Salvation On Broadcast Night

Blinding Neighbor's Mind To God's Own Light

GOD IS THE TRUTH

They Say They Say, Many A Way

They Say They Say, No Hell To Pay

Today Today, Hear God, One Way

GOD IS THE LIFE

A Cult Slithers Within

God's Kids Just Pray And Grin

Welcome Welcome Little Wolf Don't You See

It's Jesus And His Blood That Set Us Free

No Man Upon A Throne Of Dust Can Give

What God Gave, Believe Beloved And Live

Gospel Truth, The Lord Jesus

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

:laugh:

Lord Jesus Sure Hope

Or Pride's Slippery Slope

Take The Strait Gate To Salvation

"Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able." Luke 13:23-24

Or Roll Down The Freeway Of Death

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:" Matthew 7:13

:P

Talk The Walk

And Walk The Talk

Confess, Believe And Be Saved

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10

Before The Narrow Gate Is Barred!

"And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Revelation 22:10-13

:)

Hark Hark The Cry Of The Hunt

Is That Old Wolf Satan's Grunt

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Matthew 7:15

:P

Oh Yes Yes Agree To Disagree

'Til God Judges And All Bend The Knee

Peace Will Reign

"For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God." Romans 14:11

No Kidding No Quibble

"And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:11

No Time No Riddle

"And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:"

Book Closed

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:12-15

:24:

See Jesus, Believe And Be Blessed Beloved

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Joe