Revel

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Once again, though, we have a problem. Matthew clearly says the first day of the week, after the Sabbath. With all due respect, we are being guilty of revisionism to try to prove our own points.

Matthew 28:1, an inerrant verse of scripture, coupled with the explanations given earlier, should put this whole thing to rest.

This is not a matter of Tradition vs. Biblical prophecy. This is a matter of Tradition coinciding with the Bible.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

For me the balance of evidence would indicate Friday. Particularly the passages that Caritas has emphasized but also the consistency through each of the Gospel accounts.

However, it is one of those issues which I would change on and also I do think it is important to look at the Jewish calendar and holidays as they were practiced at that time so discussion on that is both interesting and good.

Even if it were Wednesday it would be important for Christians to dwell on the torture and murder of our Lord and Savior on that day which He willingly endured for our sakes both individually and as a Church. It would still be a day of sorrow and darkness one which we must remember. We cannot get to the resurrection without going through that horrible day. More than once we are told that we also must suffer for His sake; that we also must and will pick up our own cross of suffering and death if we are to follow Him.

I can see why many in the feel good atmosphere which seems to have taken over modern Christian life, would prefer to dispense with this day as unimportant.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The bottom line is that not matter what day it occured on, the meaning of salvation is not changed one iota.

Correct.

Guest shiloh357
Once again, though, we have a problem. Matthew clearly says the first day of the week, after the Sabbath. With all due respect, we are being guilty of revisionism to try to prove our own points.

Matthew 28:1, an inerrant verse of scripture, coupled with the explanations given earlier, should put this whole thing to rest.

This is not a matter of Tradition vs. Biblical prophecy. This is a matter of Tradition coinciding with the Bible.

No, you are just guilty of not studying your customs very well. There are two Sabbaths that occurred in this time frame, the first day of Unleavened bread a (High Sabbath) AND the 7th day of the week Sabbath which would have followed it. So Jesus was in the tomb on Wed. before the High Sabbath occurring on Wed evening to Thurs. evening and was recsurrected AFTER the end of the 7th day of the week Sabbath. It is so simple, people need help to misunderstand it.

Guest shiloh357
For me the balance of evidence would indicate Friday. Particularly the passages that Caritas has emphasized but also the consistency through each of the Gospel accounts.
What evidence? So far, no creidible evidence for Friday has been offered.

The Catholics got it wrong.

The Catholics?

Give me a break. The Day of Preparation spoken of looks clearly to be Friday and this exactly fits with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, I will stick with those over what looks to be another convoluted reversed engineered explanation, reaching all over scripture solely for the purpose of showing some Catholic Conspiracy surrounding Easter and Good Friday, which is what this whole thread titled the "hoax" was really about. The words are pretty clear and direct in the Gospels staring us in the face, yet we can't accept them because we want to prove the Catholics wrong?

But yes it is possible that most Christians got this wrong, but it is not a Catholic issue one way or the other.

Guest shiloh357
Give me a break. The Day of Preparation spoken of looks clearly to be Friday and this exactly fits with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John,
So how do you get three days and three nights out of Friday evening to Sunday morning? That is the problem. You have yet to reconcile the words of Jesus to your claim that the evidence supports a Friday crucifixion (which it doesn't). And yes, it was the Catholics who originally advanced the "good Friday" under the assumption that the "Sabbath" mentioned was the 7th day of the week.

Jesus said told the religious leaders that He would spend three days and three nights in the heart of the earth, the exact same amount of time that Jonah was in in the whale's belly.

I will stick with those over what looks to be another convoluted reversed engineered explanation, reaching all over scripture solely for the purpose of showing some Catholic Conspiracy surrounding Easter and Good Friday, which is what this whole thread titled the "hoax" was really about. The words are pretty clear and direct in the Gospels staring us in the face, yet we can't accept them because we want to prove the Catholics wrong?
Amazing. Christians have no right to point a finger of criticism at the religious leaders of Israel for holding to their traditions so zealously. Christians are every bit as blinded by their own empty traditions.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

The Catholics?

Give me a break. The Day of Preparation spoken of looks clearly to be Friday and this exactly fits with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, I will stick with those over what looks to be another convoluted reversed engineered explanation, reaching all over scripture solely for the purpose of showing some Catholic Conspiracy surrounding Easter and Good Friday, which is what this whole thread titled the "hoax" was really about. The words are pretty clear and direct in the Gospels staring us in the face, yet we can't accept them because we want to prove the Catholics wrong?

But yes it is possible that most Christians got this wrong, but it is not a Catholic issue one way or the other.

Shalom Smalcald,

WOW, you don't seem like yourself. I pray you are doing OK brother. :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I've been accused of refusing to drop the customs of my Church. Guilty as charged. The problem with dropping the customs of my Church is that I would be dropping what the Bible clearly says:

Matthew 27:62 "Next day [after the Crucifixion], that is, after the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate"

Mark 15:42-43: "And when evening had come, since it was the Day of Preparation, that is, the day before the Sabbath, Joseph of Arimathea . . . took courage and went to Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus."

Luke 23:54: "It was Preparation Day, and the Sabbath was about to begin" (NIV).

John 19:14 "Now it was the Day of Preparation of the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. He said to the Jews,