IGNORED

Christians and the state lottery

Ddavid from NC

Why do people go to the movies, out to eat, pay for cable to watch television? I guess you could ask the same of any activity that causes us to spend money on "unnecessary" things.

Why do people go window shopping, because they wish to covet things they can not get? Is that sinful too? Maybe they just go to pass the time and because it's fun to dream. Oh, wait, is dreaming wrong too?

That sounds cynical, I'm sorry.

There are plenty of activities that we do every day that could be considered sinful/wrong/unChristian.

Gambling....why do people do it?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I guess for me there is kind of an analogy with drinking alcohol.

There is no scriptural prohibition against having a beer or glass of wine say with friends or family around the dinner table. However we all know that hanging out in a wild bar or going out every night to bars, but not getting drunk; is still not something Christians should do; that lifestyle and environment is sinful.

The same would hold for gambling. I think it is perfectly fine for a couple of Christians to play small stakes poker at home or yes to buy a lottery ticket.

What is the problem is the sinful environment and culture of corruption which big time gambling including massive lotteries and scratch off gambling on every corner promotes.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't think it is the coveting, although that plays into it.

I think today it is the excitement and rush people get from risk taking; it is a high, just like drinking and promiscuous sex, which is why they all often go together. There is a reason that organized crime was the first to promote and control all gambling in the US, there is a reason that organized crime basically founded Las Vegas as their own. If gambling is okay why would we worry about not letting kids do it? I mean it is not physically harmful like alcohol or cigs, so why not if it is really okay and not a vice or sin? Maybe we should encourage kids to take it up so that they can better fund their own schools?

So, Mike, if you have Scripture that REALLY DOES say it's wrong to gamble, PLEASE post it!

I'm not mike but I got a couple here.

Luke 12:15

And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

1 Tim. 6:6-10

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Hebrews 13:5

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

The word gamble isn't mentioned but the word covetousness is and that's what gambling is....whether you care to admit it or not.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

So, Mike, if you have Scripture that REALLY DOES say it's wrong to gamble, PLEASE post it!

I'm not mike but I got a couple here.

Luke 12:15

And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

1 Tim. 6:6-10

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Hebrews 13:5

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

The word gamble isn't mentioned but the word covetousness is and that's what gambling is....whether you care to admit it or not.

Good job, sitting in for MiKe

Guest Biblicist

Gambling does not always = covetousness, any more than window shopping ='s covetousness. It's a game. Some play for fun. And if they win, GREAT. If not...no big deal.

It is coveting.

Why else would someone buy a scratch off except to win money. It's really not for the fun because it only takes about 30 seconds to scratch off. It's not to pass the time....because like I said....30 seconds.

Why would anybody gamble?........To win money.....period.

Anyone who says different.....you're in denial.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Wouldn't everyone agree that it is a slippery slope to addiction or at least to living in a fantasy type of reality? Everybody I talk to don't scratch because they are bored or out of spontaneity. But, they regularly play the lottery and check the results religiously. The number one vendor in our town is a store on the edge of the inner city.

Guest Biblicist

It is coveting.

Why else would someone buy a scratch off except to win money. It's really not for the fun because it only takes about 30 seconds to scratch off. It's not to pass the time....because like I said....30 seconds.

Why would anybody gamble?........To win money.....period.

Anyone who says different.....you're in denial.

With all due respect, you're being judgemental. How can you say what is in another person's heart and mind. What's wrong with wanting to win? Sports figures play to win, they get the BIG BUCKS, for what? A game. How is that OK and playing the state lottery not? Oh, it's a real game because it takes longer? Pulheese! :whistling:

Rising your children to play sports and sending them to college so they can get into the Big leagues is coveting because all you want is the money. That's what sports is all about, the money, right?

Don't get me wrong, I do not gamble and I have a big problem understanding how playing football is more important [worth more money] than educating our youth. But unless you can find a Bible verse that tells us that we should not play a game to win money you are going to have trouble proving that playing the state lottery or gambling is a sin.

Guest Biblicist
Wouldn't everyone agree that it is a slippery slope to addiction or at least to living in a fantasy type of reality? Everybody I talk to don't scratch because they are bored or out of spontaneity. But, they regularly play the lottery and check the results religiously. The number one vendor in our town is a store on the edge of the inner city.

I think anything we do can be a slippery slope to addiction. And reading books or watching television or movies all the time is living in a fantasy type of reality. Are those things wrong too? Sure they are, if they become more important to you than Jesus Christ.