• Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

2 classic symptoms of parvo:

~no appetite

~bloody diarhea

Did your dog get vaccinated for parvo?

Parvo is one of the most miserable deaths possible. It ends in them throwing up their stomach lining, and then death. The death rate is 100% without treatment and hospitilization.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146

Here is a very helpful link to help you find the best possible kibble for your dog: http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/ratingpetfood.htm

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

~no appetite

~bloody diarhea

Parvo is one of the most miserable deaths possible. It ends in them throwing up their stomach lining, and then death. The death rate is 100% without treatment and hospitilization.

I don't think she was vaccinated for that.

But she has regular bowel movements and they are normal.

She doesn't act sick at all. In fact yesterday after she threw up she basically turned around, wagged her tail and wanted to go outside and play. It's so frustrating!

Is it possible she could be making herself throw up for attention?

Also, its always just dogfood. And it doesn't happen everyday, sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. And once she throws up, thats it. It has never happened more than once in a day.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

The vet recommended giving her some cooked rice and chicken breast so thats what I'm going to do tonight. We'll see I guess.

I also heard that you should get dog bowls that are elevated. Anyone know anything about this?

The vet recommended giving her some cooked rice and chicken breast so thats what I'm going to do tonight. We'll see I guess.

I also heard that you should get dog bowls that are elevated. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, we do this. I use a rigid suitcase for our medium sized dog, and a plywood blanket chest for our large dog. I dont pay big bucks for the ones in the store. I put a washcloth underneath the bowls to help prevent the bowl from slipping around as much.

that's one of the things i mentioned in one of my earlier posts.... the food dishes should be at chest level, not at foot level. i think you must have missed that post, because i also mentioned zantac. i'm serious, call your vet and ask if you can give her zantac, and how much based on her weight. i know it's safe for cats, because my vet has "prescribed" it for both my cats at different times... for screamer before we had her put down (she was 20 years old at the time of her death), who had ALWAYS had digestive problems, and for jordy (now 16) because the older he gets, the more sensitive his stomach becomes.

not everything that is safe for cats is safe for dogs though, so do ask your vet about it.

~no appetite

~bloody diarhea

I don't think she was vaccinated for that.

But she has regular bowel movements and they are normal.

She doesn't act sick at all. In fact yesterday after she threw up she basically turned around, wagged her tail and wanted to go outside and play. It's so frustrating!

Is it possible she could be making herself throw up for attention?

Also, its always just dogfood. And it doesn't happen everyday, sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. And once she throws up, thats it. It has never happened more than once in a day.

It doesnt sound like she has parvo then. If she ever goes outside of her own yard or is ever around other dogs, or in situations where she might came across another dogs stool, you want to make sure she is vaccinated for parvo.

You or your husband can actually do this yourselves very easily for much cheaper than what the vet charges. Look for the type of store farmers go to for farm supplies, call them and ask them if they sell vaccines for dogs. Keep the vaccine cold until you administer it.

With the syringe, you simply draw the liquid from the vial that has the liquid, put the liquid into the vial with the powder, gently shake or roll between your hands, then draw this mixture back into the syringe, pick up a scruff of skin such as above the shoulder blades, and inject under the skin, and not into muscle. Most dogs do not even flinch. It is a very tiny needle. :thumbsup:

If this is her first shot, she will need a booster, I think 3 weeks later. After that, you only need to vaccinate every three years, though your vet may say she needs to be vaccinated every year. The vet is wrong. Studies have proven immunity lasts at LEAST 3 years.

EDITED TO ADD: I always buy two needles, as sometimes the needle is a dud and wont let you draw anything into it, as something is wrong with the vacuam seal pressure of it or something. Needles are very cheap, less than a dollar I am sure.

Guest Biblicist

I think the elevated bowls thing is a myth. Has anyone ever seen how a dog cleans themselves? :emot-hug: Honestly, why would they need elevated bowls for eating and drinking when they can bend like that? :emot-hug:

Have you thought that she may be eating something that does not agree with her stomach? I don't mean food I mean other, non-eadible stuff. My Husky/Wolf will eat anything she finds. She is 1. Yesterday she ate an erraser then promptly threw it up. Same with drywall, plastic utensils, anything plastic really, pens, pencils, my bread knife, any knife, screw drivers, you name it, she's tried to eat it.

Keep a close eye on her to make sure she is not getting something she should not be. That might be the problem. :thumbsup: I hope you get this cleared up soon!

I have heard conflicting opinions on the raised dog bowl thing. I do think it is definately a good idea if you have an older arthritic dog. Henry's favorite way to eat is to take his hunk of raw boned in meat out of the bowl, put it on the floor, (we furnish a plastic tablecloth for this purpose) put one paw on top of the meat, and then bend down and tug at the meat with his mouth. Henry has some loooooong legs having greyhound in his mix, fortunately he also has a longer snout and neck that helps him reach better.

The raised dog bowl concept I believe is mainly to avoid bloat. I wonder if bloat is less of a concern with raw? Especially as you cant scarf raw down, you have to work at it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/10/1990

Ok, sweetie. This is what I have from my Home Remedies book for dogs and cats.

All she may need is a tummy time out. When she vomits don't give her food for 24 hours. If she still vomits after 24 hours, call your vet.

Once she is fininshed vomiting make sure she has plenty of water. OR you could give her ice cubes, our dogs love ice cubes.

Keep the menu bland. After fasting for 24 hours start with a bland diet which is two parts cooked white rice with onepart cottege cheese or boiled skinless chicken breast. Small amounts every four hours. After a day, if she's still holding the food down begin feeding the usual amount.

SLOWLY, after two days of bland food, start bringing back the regular food.

I agree with ya. It could also be stress, weak stomach (As in your pet may not be able to hold down her food sometimes), or excitable stomach. My dog Trigger throws up due to stress, nervousness and his energy levels. Thats what my vet said.

The bland diet works well even with Humans ^.^ diluted chicken broth with rice is also good. :24: