• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Okay so here's the background to our story.

We have a 10 month old golden retriever/siberian husky hybrid. She has been a healthy dog up until about a month ago. She started shedding like crazy and began vomitting at night. It didn't happen everyday and since I was at the end of my pregnancy, I thought it must be due to stress. Anyway, we had our baby and everything has been calm in the house, but she is still vomitting. It doesn't happen everyday, but I would say at least 4 days a week. She doesn't act sick at all and vomits up her food ONLY. I have never seen bile or anything of that sort. Her stool continues to be normal.

I changed her food twice and still no relief.

I really have no idea what's going on with her but I'm starting to get worried. This evening she puked up at least everything she ate today, and perhaps part of what she ate yesterday. The thing that really boggles my mind is that she hasn't lost any weight! It doesn't make sense... :whistling:

I've talked to my vet about it and they say she's probably sensitive to something in her food, but we've changed it twice already! I think I'm going to take her into the vet tomorrow to have some tests done, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with their dog? Any advice?

Even better if there happens to be a vet somewhere around this site....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

We have a 10 month old golden retriever/siberian husky hybrid. She has been a healthy dog up until about a month ago. She started shedding like crazy and began vomitting at night. It didn't happen everyday and since I was at the end of my pregnancy, I thought it must be due to stress. Anyway, we had our baby and everything has been calm in the house, but she is still vomitting. It doesn't happen everyday, but I would say at least 4 days a week. She doesn't act sick at all and vomits up her food ONLY. I have never seen bile or anything of that sort. Her stool continues to be normal.

I really have no idea what's going on with her but I'm starting to get worried. This evening she puked up at least everything she ate today, and perhaps part of what she ate yesterday. The thing that really boggles my mind is that she hasn't lost any weight! It doesn't make sense... :rolleyes:

I've talked to my vet about it and they say she's probably sensitive to something in her food, but we've changed it twice already! I think I'm going to take her into the vet tomorrow to have some tests done, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with their dog? Any advice?

I am no expert upon the subject, however when you changed food, did you change it so that the 'base' ingredient was different. As it has been too long, such as from a corn base to a chicken base or some such. Hopefully you will understand what I mean even though I can not think of any real specifics right now.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

If you are like me, your pet is an integral part of the family. If I was to ever get another one, I think I would look into preparing the food for my animal.

Here is a site: Link

I can not vouch for it's accuracy, but I have noticed over the years a lot more disease/tumors/etc. within pets.

my vet recommended 1/2 a zantac twice daily for my cats. but of course, your dog probably weighs more than 8 lbs. why don't you call the vet, find out if zantac is safe for dogs too, and how much the dosage would be for his weight?

another thing the vet always recommended for the cats was to elevate their food dish. you may want to do that for the dog too.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

point on changing dog/cat food: do it gradually. mix a little of the new in w/ the "regular" (what your pet is currently eating) food & gradually weed out the "regular" food until all he/she is eating is the new stuff. give the new food a chance to work. also, I ONLY feed RoRo Kibble & Bits (or Kibble & Brushin' Bites). Changing the food can agrivate the pet's digestive track, which causes him/her to get sick, which is why it should be done gradually. hope that helped, but definitely talk to your vetrinarian. :noidea:

Yep I know. It was done gradually.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

We feed our dogs raw meat! Saturday will be two weeks. The dogs have been doing great on it. Buy an assortment of chicken pieces, feed them to your dog and see how she does. Seriously! She'll crunch those bones up just fine, my dogs do! Henry is missing 2 molars, 2 canines, and 1 front tooth. He has no problem chewing. Riley who is 13 has some more trouble and needs me to 'score' the bones for him with poultry scissors. I only give him the thinnest bones, such as ribs and neck, never the drumstick. I also throw in a full raw egg, shell and all once in a while. Once a week I make up a 'veggie mash' This weeks is baked yams and apples. I cored the apples and then pureed the yams and apples. Sometimes I throw in spinach that has been microwaved with a little water and chopped. I also throw in blueberries sometimes. The veggie mash only makes up about 10% of their meal. My dogs sometimes split a banana for a snack.

The reason we went to raw is because Henry has epilepsy, and commercial food has so many ingredients, it's a shot in the dark as to which of the ingredients may be causing the problem. Because raw is fresh, it has far less ingredients as it doesnt need all the extra junk.

Just had a thought, make sure the diapers are well out of your dog's reach. Maybe the absorbent chemicals are causing a problem? Dogs noses are far more sensitive than ours.

By the way, they are now learning that it is not necessary to vaccinate any more than every three years. So save some money and your pet will be healthier for it! Also, dogs who are on a raw diet, usually never need dentals! :noidea:

Guest Biblicist

Ok, sweetie. This is what I have from my Home Remedies book for dogs and cats.

All she may need is a tummy time out. When she vomits don't give her food for 24 hours. If she still vomits after 24 hours, call your vet.

Once she is fininshed vomiting make sure she has plenty of water. OR you could give her ice cubes, our dogs love ice cubes.

Keep the menu bland. After fasting for 24 hours start with a bland diet which is two parts cooked white rice with onepart cottege cheese or boiled skinless chicken breast. Small ammounts every four hours. After a day, if she's still holding the food down begin feeding the usual amount.

SLOWLY, after two days of bland food, start bringing back the regular food.

You can give your dog Kaopectate, one teaspoon for every 10 lbs of weight. You can also give her Pepto-Bismol one teaspoon for 20 lbs of weight. every four to six hours for up to two days.

If she is lethargic, disoriented, and stumbling around like she is drunk, and vomiting with alarming frequency, call the vet immediately. It may be poisining.

I agree with Emily Anne. Give her the raw diet. We feed it to our doggies too. Never a problem! :noidea:

p.s. cooked chicken bones are dangerous, only give raw bones, or get rid of the bone. The bones have alot of good stuff in them though, that is very healthy.

One more thing, if you go to raw, and your pup has a sensitve tummy, be aware that raw and kibble do not cooperate with each other in the digestive tract and can cause problems in the sensitive dog. It may be a good idea to fast 24 hours first, to get some kibble out, then make the switch to raw abrupt, not gradual as you would when simply changing brands of kibble.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I really have no idea what's going on with her but I'm starting to get worried. This evening she puked up at least everything she ate today, and perhaps part of what she ate yesterday. The thing that really boggles my mind is that she hasn't lost any weight! It doesn't make sense... :24:

I don't claim to know anything about sicknesses in animals but I had got a dog once and he was a small dog we named him Samson but this dog started throwing up like you say your dog is and it slowly kept getting worse not all at one time but gradually and the dog had "parvo" I'm not sure I am spelling that right but it is a disease that kills and your dog should be checked for it even if it doesn't ever get the disease it still should be checked for it. But like I say the dog I had started out just like you described and slowly kept getting worse over time and it was so sad when we lost him cause the pup was sure a lot of fun.

I hope sincerly this isn't the case with your dog.

loving blessings

OC