• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

I made the mistake of telling a group on another forum when comparing the two major religions Islam and Christian, that in the Holy Bible a Christians knows he may be obligated to "Protect his homeland and properties" and even to the point if he feels he has to die for his GOD he would do so. I firmly believe this, and when I made the determination to join the Military many years ago, the main reason I did was because of my religious beliefs in protecting our rights as Christians and revering the God of the Holy Bible. That is an individual belief that I hold personal. But I'm almost positive that I read at some point in the Holy Bible, KJV of something to this effect. Can anyone help me locate that or those scriptures showing the relevance of my thinking, or am I waaaaaaaay off base here?

Also, the person denying my statement speaks of the fact that we are to "turn the other cheek" in terms of war and protecting our nation and beliefs and I just don't totall agree with that premise. I don't believe that Jesus was referring to "turning the other cheek" for all instances.

Can anyone help, or am I just gettin defensive? I think not and pray that this is not the reason!

In God's love

Larry

Cajunboy

• Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

Also, the person denying my statement speaks of the fact that we are to "turn the other cheek" in terms of war and protecting our nation and beliefs and I just don't totall agree with that premise. I don't believe that Jesus was referring to "turning the other cheek" for all instances.

if this statement were true, then I doubt highly that the Lord would have been the initiator of many wars in the days of OT....but I will pray and search verse to help you in this.

be blessed

if this statement were true, then I doubt highly that the Lord would have been the initiator of many wars in the days of OT....but I will pray and search verse to help you in this.

be blessed

In agreement Jackie! And thanks for helping out. I've search for about an hour so far between chores and still no luck! Normally, God guides me right to the script! I guess HE wants me to do the footwork this time. You'd think with the 40 years of background/research I've done, I'd have it by now, but I'd fogotten that I'm just getting older and with that??????????forgot what I was going to saylolololo just kidding!

In God's love

Larry

Cajunboy

Guest LadyC

"turn the other cheek" refers to PERSONAL offenses... it has nothing to do with war, or even with defense of your own (or another individual's) life. actually in context, i believe it is referring to when someone slaps you or spits at you.

in essense, it is about taking personal revenge against another....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

So are you wondering if there are passages that tell us we should take up arms to defend our country?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  421
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Can anyone help me locate that or those scriptures showing the relevance of my thinking,

You are in a complicated area here because the answer depends entirely on the circumstances and quoting extremes helps nobody. And the Bible is full of extremes on this subject from 'thou shalt not kill' to 'exterminate the lot', which means that those who want to can pluck any verse out of context to prove whatever it is they are doing. But there are other ways.

Taking the love of God as a beacon, and shining that love into whatever situation is being explored, and realising that on earth God's love is most easily understood using a typical family as a model, it is worth considering 1 Timothy 5:8 as a basis for this discussion. In general terms, that verse says a Christian who does not take care of the needs of their family is worse than an unbeliever.

Of course that can be taken to extremes like anything else, and is often quoted to support high flying life styles and such like, but with the love of God lighting up his Word there is no room for confusion.

Now taking that thought of loving and caring and protecting our family as an integral part of God's love, and knowing that as a consequence we would protect our family to the best of our ability were it under physical attack, the answer to your question becomes easier.

There is no doubt that particularly in this present age of long range missiles and dirty bombs, waiting until an enemy arrived at your tent would be suicide. Forward defence is an essential component of modern warfare. Given that, any Christian called by God to protect their family, or in locum parentis to protect the families of others who are physically unable to do so for themselves, would be acting within the love of God were they to take part in military operations on behalf of their country with that objective in mind.

The decision and the choice is not one to be made with a gun in your face but in the solitude of the inner room as a Christian is guided by the love of God.

It also follows that those who because of circumstances are unable to personally defend their families should prayerfully and by any means possible, support those who have accepted the challenge on their behalf.

Fun Assignment

:emot-LOL:

"And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so." Joshua 5:13-15

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." Proverbs 25:26

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed" Malachi 3:6

>>>>><<<<<

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." 1 Timothy 5:8

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16

>>>>><<<<<

As For The Lord Jesus Christ, God The Son

"Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him." Psalms 2:12

Jesus KING OF KINGS

"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him." Jude 1:14-15

The Lion Of Judah

"But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 24:48-51

>>>>><<<<<

Repent And Believe

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17

Or Stay Eternally Condemned

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." John 3:18

>>>>><<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

(Oh How I Love His Word)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Larry, Everything has its time Ecc 3 Shalom

Can anyone help me locate that or those scriptures showing the relevance of my thinking,

You are in a complicated area here because the answer depends entirely on the circumstances and quoting extremes helps nobody. And the Bible is full of extremes on this subject from 'thou shalt not kill' to 'exterminate the lot', which means that those who want to can pluck any verse out of context to prove whatever it is they are doing. But there are other ways.

Taking the love of God as a beacon, and shining that love into whatever situation is being explored, and realising that on earth God's love is most easily understood using a typical family as a model, it is worth considering 1 Timothy 5:8 as a basis for this discussion. In general terms, that verse says a Christian who does not take care of the needs of their family is worse than an unbeliever.

Of course that can be taken to extremes like anything else, and is often quoted to support high flying life styles and such like, but with the love of God lighting up his Word there is no room for confusion.

Now taking that thought of loving and caring and protecting our family as an integral part of God's love, and knowing that as a consequence we would protect our family to the best of our ability were it under physical attack, the answer to your question becomes easier.

There is no doubt that particularly in this present age of long range missiles and dirty bombs, waiting until an enemy arrived at your tent would be suicide. Forward defence is an essential component of modern warfare. Given that, any Christian called by God to protect their family, or in locum parentis to protect the families of others who are physically unable to do so for themselves, would be acting within the love of God were they to take part in military operations on behalf of their country with that objective in mind.

The decision and the choice is not one to be made with a gun in your face but in the solitude of the inner room as a Christian is guided by the love of God.

It also follows that those who because of circumstances are unable to personally defend their families should prayerfully and by any means possible, support those who have accepted the challenge on their behalf.

Thanks Stan, but I think most of us here are pretty well versed in scripture and we should all know that when God says, "Thou shalt not kill," HE was not referring to "defending ones' honor, or defending God's honor, or defending our homefront. God is very clear in these areas. But I do agree with you latter thoughts on the matter!

In God's love

Larry

Cajunboy

Fun Assignment

:thumbsup:

"And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so." Joshua 5:13-15

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." Proverbs 25:26

"For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed" Malachi 3:6

>>>>><<<<<

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Like 22:36

"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." 1 Timothy 5:8

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16

>>>>><<<<<

As For The Lord Jesus Christ, God The Son

"Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him." Psalms 2:12

Jesus KING OF KINGS

"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him." Jude 1:14-15

The Lion Of Judah

"But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 24:48-51

>>>>><<<<<

Repent And Believe

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17

Or Stay Eternally Condemned

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." John 3:18

>>>>><<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

(Oh How I Love His Word)

Joseph, Thank you soooooooooo much brother! I knew I could count on my Worthy family. I've been on the "Yahoo's Answers" forum recruiting both, new members for Worthy, mainly those who are Worthy....just kidding, and secondly answering the many Spirituality/ Religious question that so many of the youth have out there across the globe. It's so very sad Joe, that so many are being misled by the enemy. But the "Good News" is that there are just as many young Christian who seem to be armed with scripture and verse information, and are ready to defend God's Word. It's so exciting to the the very young come on board, so I've been sending a few at a time here to join in.

In God's love

Larry

Cajunboy