IGNORED

New Age Co-workers

Guest lambchop

Guest lambchop

Hello,

I come across many New Age thinkers in my work. Many practice yoga. The last time I was near a yoga class, this terrible feeling came over me to stay away. That's all I need from the Holy Spirit. But when people ask me why, I feel I need to quote some scripture. I remember a verse about not getting involved with psycic stuff, but can't find it. When these people talk about energy centers in the body, I want to have a way to gently and with love and caring respond as a Christian. I don't want to start a debate, but need a good statement to make them think and not continue to talk to me about it. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Here's a verse but I'm not sure if it will help. Your friends will probably want something more specific. The Bible doesn't say "yoga". So maybe look up the origins of yoga. It's a part of that eastern mysticism.

2 Kings 17:17 - And they caused their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire, and used divination and enchantments, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

From watchman.org:

Yoga: Exercises (physical, mental or spiritual) based on Eastern metaphysical assumptions designed to aid in enlightenment or self-realization. Goals sometimes include altered states of consciousness or uniting the practitioner with the impersonal pantheistic God. Types of Yoga include: Karma Yoga (spiritual union through correct conduct), Bhakti Yoga (spiritual union through devotion to a Guru), Juana Yoga (spiritual union through hidden knowledge), Raja Yoga (spiritual union through mental control), Hatha Yoga (spiritual union through body control/meditation), Kundalini Yoga (spiritual union through focusing inner energy) and Tantra Yoga (spiritual union through sexual practices). Yoga philosophy is based on the concept of reincarnation and is drawn from the Upanishads and other Hindu scriptures.

So the ideas of reincarnation and the polytheism of Hinduism could be the answer. Any verse centered around "there is one God" should do. Personally, I don't have a problem with the physical aspects of yoga, but the tie to the spiritual elements listed above should be avoided.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

Deut 18:10-13.... :D