• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  660
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/06/1990

I interpret this as Jesus telling Mary that even though joyful and excited, He still had much business with the Father.

He knew her sorrow and showed compassion by showing up to cheer her up. But didn't need to delay in His business with the Father.

:thumbsup:

That sounds reasonable, too.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I interpret this as Jesus telling Mary that even though joyful and excited, He still had much business with the Father.

He knew her sorrow and showed compassion by showing up to cheer her up. But didn't need to delay in His business with the Father.

:)

That sounds reasonable, too.

I believe when Jesus showed up, Mary received one of the biggest hugs ever. And in her love for Jesus....she simply didn't want to let go. Oh God loves us! We too will get to experience one of the biggest hugs ever. :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/26/1976

Jonny-NZ

Jesus’ Resurrection and Christian Origins*

(Originally published in Gregorianum, 2002, 83/4, 615–635. Reproduced by permission of the author.)

1. Introduction The question of Jesus’ resurrection continues to haunt the thinking and writing of many scholars. I shall not debate in detail with them here; there are other places for that. I want instead to sketch, in broad strokes, a historical argument about what happened three days after Jesus’ crucifixion.

The question divides into four. First, what did people in the first century, both pagans and Jews, hope for? What did they believe about life after death, and particularly about resurrection? Second, what did the early Christians believe on the same subjects? What did they hope for? Third, what reasons did the early Christians give for their hope and belief, and what did they mean by the key word ‘resurrection’ which they used of Jesus? Finally, what can the historian say by way of comment on this early Christian claim?

The resurrection is an integral part of Christianity, and although it has been highly scrutinized and mocked by the intellectual community it remains the foundation, without the resurrection there is no hope, but if you look only at the visible evidence you will have little to build upon, not only was the event close to two thousand years ago, add to that the sacking of Jerusalem. So it is unlikley that any physicial evidence would have survived, and since the resurrection is found woven throughout scripture, and was apart of the early church, as can be found in the gospels and epistles. The epistles were instructions and exhortations to the earliest foundings of the church. There are other historical writings about Jesus, some from the Jews and Romans, among other surrounding regions, and some writtings which were rejected by the early church are the books of the apocrophy, which were not considered inspired by God. Getting back to the question of what did the Jews hope for? The answer to that is they awaited the coming of Messiah, as many of there decendents do today, the early christians believed that Jesus the Messiah had come and died and was ressurreced fulfilling prophetic writtings found in scripture, what did they,(Christians) hope for? Answer: Ressurection, and the return of Christ, as they have up to the present day.

An example of Resurection can be found in Matt 22:23-33 the greek word (Phonetic spelling) “anastasis” (strongs ref # 386) from 450 a standing up again, a resurrection from death (individual)...

it is interresting that a word with a similar root word appears in the same verse, which refers to raising up children, Matt 22:23 the word for: “shall raise up” is the Greek word “anastesei”, if you use the word “raise up” there are many applications where the meaning is rightly determined by its context, such as he “Raised the Glass” or “Raised the “Dead Girl Up” and said give her some food to eat. Context determines the meaning more than just the defination of the word.

23 The same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him and asked Him, 24 saying: “Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife and raise up offspring for his brother.

The bible claims to be the inspired word of God, and those who believe this to be true

Interpret inspire to mean breathed, just as if God spoke and wrote the bible Himself.

This is where faith enters in, if you can't trust the whole bible than how will you know which part to believe?

If you believe that God created the universe and all living creatures, why would you have trouble believing that He could raise one from the dead?

2 Timothy 3:16(New King James Version)

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

1.Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Matthew 12:40 (New International Version)

40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

John 11

21"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask." 23Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." 24Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." 25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" 27"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

1.Matthew 22:23

23That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24"Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27Finally, the woman died. 28Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"

Luke 1

29Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." John 12:38 (New International Version)

38This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet: "Lord, who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?"

This is Prophesy hundreds of years prior to Christs death, but it clearly defines Him as Savour.

1.Isaiah 53:1

1 Who has believed our report?And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant. And as a root out of dry ground.

He has no form or comeliness; And when we see Him, There is no beauty that we should desire Him. 3 He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.

And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

4 Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken,

Smitten by God, and afflicted.

5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities

The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way;

And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted,

Yet He opened not His mouth; He was led as a lamb to the slaughter, And as a sheep before its shearers is silent, So He opened not His mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment,

And who will declare His generation? For He was cut off from the land of the living; For the transgressions of My people He was stricken. 9 And they[a] made His grave with the wicked—

But with the rich at His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was any deceit in His mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days, And the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in His hand. 11 He shall see the labor of His soul,and be satisfied. By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many, For He shall bear their iniquities. 12 Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, And He shall divide the spoil with the strong, Because He poured out His soul unto death, And He was numbered with the transgressors, And He bore the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors.

Yes.

Hope you don't think I was disagreeing with any of that, nor in fact that any of NT Wright's writing disagrees that resurrection did occur, and will occur. He certainly does not.

Where Wright gets particularly interesting is in noting the Judaic and early-Christian view of resurrection (and, as indeed corroborated by Jesus' example) - not being merely an other-worldly spiritual "resurrection", but noting the coming together of physical and spiritual, with Jesus as the first example of our own future.

Sometimes we've gotten a little too ethereal and other-worldly in our understanding of resurrection, something that many consider came through the later influence of Greco-Roman philosophy, Plato and the like.

We forgot that resurrection, as demonstrated by Jesus, encompasses both the spiritual AND physical, just as Thomas was able to place his hand in Jesus' wound. Jesus was the first fruit of the resurrection of creation, if you like...

Edited by Jonny_NZ

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/16/1955

Jonny_NZ

That, I believe, is the result of the investigation I have conducted. There are many other things to say about Jesus