IGNORED

How to witness to someone who won't listen

Paige42986

The difficulty with the Francis of Assisi concept is that he lived in a different era. Possibly back then if you offered a kindness then the person receiving it might attribute that to God and your relationship with Him - today such attribution is unlikely.

I find it is the combination of works and words that work the best.

The balance between the two may well vary from person to person [both the witness and the person being witnessed to]

You know.....in a round about way....you just quoted St Francis of Assisi. :noidea:

:24:

A Much Higher Authority I Do Believe

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 1 Corinthians 3:6-9

A Much Much Higher Authority

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:47

And We Will Rejoice

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him. Psalms 126:5-6

Because HE

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

Loves Us

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Forever

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Revelation 21:3-4

And Ever

Amen

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

The difficulty with the Francis of Assisi concept is that he lived in a different era. Possibly back then if you offered a kindness then the person receiving it might attribute that to God and your relationship with Him - today such attribution is unlikely.

The balance between the two may well vary from person to person [both the witness and the person being witnessed to]

You know.....in a round about way....you just quoted St Francis of Assisi. :th_praying:

Really? I thought I was saying that it is always necessary to use words.

Maybe I missed the roundabout?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

How do I witness about my faith to a women who needs to hear it but won't listen when I do. I have prayed about her for a long time and I finally have decided to witness to her but I know that she won't listen to me. Do I still witness anyway or not.She needs the Lord's love badly but I don't know how to do that with her temperment and her attitude. So any help or suggestions you can give me would be so helpful

Live your life in front of her. Love her and earn her trust.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1991

How do I witness about my faith to a women who needs to hear it but won't listen when I do. I have prayed about her for a long time and I finally have decided to witness to her but I know that she won't listen to me. Do I still witness anyway or not.She needs the Lord's love badly but I don't know how to do that with her temperment and her attitude. So any help or suggestions you can give me would be so helpful

You've got to be subtle. You should gently lead through words and actions and DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT shove it in the persons' face, or they'll just be driven away. Make sure she knows what God has done for her and what Jesus did on the cross. Other than that just pray that you'll have the right words when the time comes.

Edited by JesusIsLord777

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Some time ago I heard that our evangelistic efforts should contain all of the following 4 elements.

I don't think every one of us should necessarily include all four in every interaction - but for effective evangelism to take place the person must experience:

Demonstration of God's love

Declaration of the message of the gospel

Decision - the point where they make their choice

Discipleship - ongoing nurture and care

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Hi Nigel,

I'm just curious, but do you think that people today are more likely to do kind acts regardless of their beliefs, or that people in the past were more likely to attribute kind acts to God? That said, I agree that a combination of words and actions are desirable. I'm not suggesting that we abandon the preaching of the gospel - that's taking things to the other extreme.

To share with you though, my conversion came primarily because of two specific people and their actions (not their words). I did not become a believer until I was 20. When I was 19 and just finishing High School I went to an end-of-year camp run by a retired preacher. I'd been to this camp pretty much every year of my High School life, but went just for fun. On the second day of camp, we were all swimming at the beach when the sandbar beneath our feet collapsed and 26 people were suddenly trapped in an undercurrent (some of them "city folk" couln't even swim). To cut a long story short, 3 people died that day. A 14-year old girl, a 16-year old boy, and a 25-year old Youth Leader. Having beeon this camp before I had become quite friendly with the Youth Leader in particular, having gone with him and his church to various outings. However, I didn't really "know" him. Despite this, as happens with any tragedy, it hurt me deeply, and for the longest time, I was an absolute mess. During this time, two people were by my side. I knew neither of them very well, except that when I first went to that camp in my first year of High School, they were both in Senior years and one of them was violent and involved in gangs. Now they were "Christian".

Both these people knew the Youth Leader better than I did, but they put aside their grief and took time to counsel and console me. Never once did they mention the words "God", "Bible", "saved", "heaven", or any of the other buzz-words Christians spout. They were just great people who put the needs of others before their own needs. It was then that I first saw what it was to be truly "Christian". I knew they were Christians, but they did not use words during this time, but action. It was their selfless actions that first led me to examine my own life and ask myself "how selfish am I?"

The rest, you could say, is history.

All the best, Nigel :th_praying:

~ PA

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Read what Jesus says in MAtthew 10:14 about people who won't listen.

That was a very specific set of circumstances. We probably would not want to generalize that to a command that is binding on all today.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/14/1972

I speak for no one but myself, Paige, and I think that no one will listen to someone who is implying they are wrong. Especially if the person who needs Christ is exceptionally prideful, it only leads to them harden their hearts. Ultimately, it is God who convicts.

But I think we can help soften the heart of someone, if we are willing to treat their beliefs with same respect as we treat our own. It opens the floor for an honest dialog and though she may not agree, at least she might understand enough of the Gospel for God to work with.

I would only use this approach, if you are firm in your faith and have a good support group of Christians in the background. The reason I say this, is because in order for her to open up to your message, you have to open yourself up enough to understand her views. There is the potential for misguided doctrinal interpolations. It certainly changes the tone and direction of the conversation.....

This is a real simplified example....

Paige - What do you think about so and so, Mrs. Smarty?

Mrs. Smarty - Well I think so and so.

Paige - Asks questions until she can find at least one thing in common with Mrs Smarty beliefs and says

Thats interesting....you know, on what you said about (the point in common) I feel the same way. However, I look at this part (something you didn't have in common) a little differently because of ....

Hopefully she will follow suit and look for common ground as well. People listen better when they think you are on their level and a lot of people won't listen until they feel they too are being heard.

Mudcat

• 7 months later...

Have you tried sending this person a Greeting Card and write her a letter and put in the card.

Get a card thats a Christian one with verse that might touch her heart, also you could put a gospel trac in card as well...