• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1989

So just a couple of days ago every custodian in the district of schools that I work in had to attend a meeting. I am an 18 year old who works full time as a custodian at my town's high school. Just a temporary job until I get my college education. Anyways, at the meeting we discussed safety hazards. Asbestos was one of the things we discussed. The school that I work at is loaded with asbestos material. In case you didn't know, asbestos fibers, when inhaled, causes a deadly lung cancer called mesothelioma. My boss didn't even tell me where the asbestos was or inform in the least about the stuff. Not until I was 6 months into my job. He has had us to push stuff across the asbestos floors, scrub them down, scrape them!!!! And his only response to my concern was "The job has to be done, if you don't want to do it, go home!" So today he told me and other crew members to move some junk out of this closet that was loaded with torn up asbestos tile. You won't believe how lightly these people take hazardous situations. So just two days after the meeting my boss has the nerve to tell me to pick up heavy boxes from the horribly ripped apart asbestos tile with my bare hands and carry it out of the room. I was pretty furious. I then asked "Is this even legal!?". And he again responded with "If you don't want to do the job, go home!" So I said "Ok". And I walked out. I don't know if he will write me up or fire me or what. I do know that plenty of times, my co-workers have just walked off the job, cursed people in the public schools, and even back talked my boss. So guess what happened to them?? Nothing!

I am so frustrated. Lord knows that I am a worrying type with a great amount of anxiety. My doc told me its possible that I could have OCD. And this would just be one more thing to obsess and worry about. I can't take it. If I would have even touched those boxes that are probably loaded with asbestos fibers, I wouldn't have slept another peaceful night. I am relying on the Lord to help me find a new job. In the mean time, I need to report the school that I work at. Something needs to be done. Too many health hazards that are ignorantly being ignored. It's dangerous. There are supposed to be warning signs where the asbestos is located. But there are none. My boss said that he would look into getting some, but has failed to keep his word. It's illegal. So what do you guys think?

Edited by Deepblue

You need to report that school to the EPA and OSHA.

It's not just the workers who are in danger of asbestos exposure. Every person who enters that building runs the risk of being exposed. Students, teachers, and office workers included. If there are homes located next to the school, they also run the risk of being exposed to this asbestos dust.

I also think the parents of the children who attend this school would appreciate knowing what you know.

Personally, I wouldn't work there. The health risk just isn't worth it.

If you really want to get the ball rolling, go to the local fire dept. and tell them. If nothing is done, take it to the media.

Just my thoughts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.74
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

It's not just the workers who are in danger of asbestos exposure. Every person who enters that building runs the risk of being exposed. Students, teachers, and office workers included. If there are homes located next to the school, they also run the risk of being exposed to this asbestos dust.

I also think the parents of the children who attend this school would appreciate knowing what you know.

If you really want to get the ball rolling, go to the local fire dept. and tell them. If nothing is done, take it to the media.

Just my thoughts.

Exactly. :emot-hug:;)

Just my thoughts.

Thank you so much for that reply. The whole situation has got me feeling pretty depressed. Usually I am the type to just suck it up and do whatever I have to do no matter what. But this time I refused. I took a stand and now I feel depressed. I would have been feeling like this anyways. If I would have did what he asked, I would have been worried sick, and now I still feel horrible. But what's done is done. Just feel so lousy. Haven't felt a depression like this in a long time. I just can't stand confrontation like this. Being put under so much pressure.

Pray that I will have the courage to call EPA or OSHA. Because I'm feeling just down right now. I just feel like no one is listening to me. If none of my co-workers listened, my boss didn't listen, and I can even sense disappointment from my own family in the decision I made today. Just feel like no one cares concerning this particular matter.

Edited by Deepblue

Ya know, there are laws to protect "whistle-blowers" so you have nothing to worry about. They may try to do something to you, but you can take solace in the fact that it is a federal crime to retaliate against you.

Thank you so much for that reply. The whole situation has got me feeling pretty depressed. Usually I am the type to just suck it up and do whatever I have to do no matter what. But this time I refused. I took a stand and now I feel depressed. I would have been feeling like this anyways. If I would have did what he asked, I would have been worried sick, and now I still feel horrible. But what's done is done. Just feel so lousy. Haven't felt a depression like this in a long time. I just can't stand confrontation like this. Being put under so much pressure.

Pray that I will have the courage to call EPA or OSHA. Because I'm feeling just down right now. I just feel like no one is listening to me. If none of my co-workers listened, my boss didn't listen, and I can even sense disappointment from my own family in the decision I made today. Just feel like no one cares concerning this particular matter.

As Brandon said, there are laws in place to protect you against any retaliation from the school.

Here's another option you might consider.

The media. Most TV news stations have investigative reporters. They have "Tip Lines" that you can call. You don't have to tell them who you are....just tell'em what you told us. Give'em the name of your boss and maybe your coworkers. You don't need to tell them you work there. Just give'em the facts and let it go from there. Call every news agency in the area. One of them will look into it.

Here's another option.

Radio. Call into a local talk show. Or even the syndicated ones that are broadcast across the country. Again, your identity need not be known.

You can contact the EPA and OSHA online. You don't even have to give them your name. Just tell'em your story.

Here's one more thing you can do.

Go to the attorney section in the yellow pages of your phone book. Make a phone call, tell'em your story and they're gonna see dollar signs. You get enough lawyers poking around that school, talking to parents and what not and something will happen.

I think that's enough options for right now. And remember, you don't have to tell any of these people who you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for your personal well being......do this.

Talk to God. Ask Him to fill you with the spirit of peace. Ask Him to harden your heart to those feelings of depression. Ask Him to lift your spirit. Ask Him to ease your troubled mind. Go to Him with an open heart. Try to block out everything from your mind except God. Even if you don't know what to say, it doesn't matter because God knows. The Holy Spirit will talk for you. That's what He does. He is our link to the Father. Do all of this in the name of Jesus and I do believe you will see a change.

-------------------------------------------------------

Don't let this stuff get you down. Everything will work out just the way it's supposed too. The Lord put you in that school for a reason. If you need some sunshine in your life, just think of all the people you will be helping. What you are about to do is a good thing.

You have a good one.

Peace.

As Brandon said, there are laws in place to protect you against any retaliation from the school.

The media. Most TV news stations have investigative reporters. They have "Tip Lines" that you can call. You don't have to tell them who you are....just tell'em what you told us. Give'em the name of your boss and maybe your coworkers. You don't need to tell them you work there. Just give'em the facts and let it go from there. Call every news agency in the area. One of them will look into it.

Here's another option.

Radio. Call into a local talk show. Or even the syndicated ones that are broadcast across the country. Again, your identity need not be known.

You can contact the EPA and OSHA online. You don't even have to give them your name. Just tell'em your story.

Go to the attorney section in the yellow pages of your phone book. Make a phone call, tell'em your story and they're gonna see dollar signs. You get enough lawyers poking around that school, talking to parents and what not and something will happen.

I think that's enough options for right now. And remember, you don't have to tell any of these people who you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk to God. Ask Him to fill you with the spirit of peace. Ask Him to harden your heart to those feelings of depression. Ask Him to lift your spirit. Ask Him to ease your troubled mind. Go to Him with an open heart. Try to block out everything from your mind except God. Even if you don't know what to say, it doesn't matter because God knows. The Holy Spirit will talk for you. That's what He does. He is our link to the Father. Do all of this in the name of Jesus and I do believe you will see a change.

Don't let this stuff get you down. Everything will work out just the way it's supposed too. The Lord put you in that school for a reason. If you need some sunshine in your life, just think of all the people you will be helping. What you are about to do is a good thing.

You have a good one.

Peace.

Well I just sent a letter to the EPA via online expressing my concerns. I did remain anonymous. I pray that my letter won't be ignored and that something is done. I think that I wrote it effectively.

I did pray to the Lord today about my depression and anxiety. I have to say I am feeling much much better. Praise God for that!

Thanks so much for your replies as well Brandon. You both have been very helpful.

Edited by Deepblue

Here's another option.

You have a good one.

Peace.

Well I just sent a letter to the EPA via online expressing my concerns. I did remain anonymous. I pray that my letter won't be ignored and that something is done. I think that I wrote it effectively.

I did pray to the Lord today about my depression and anxiety. I have to say I am feeling much much better. Praise God for that!

Thanks so much for your replies as well Brandon. You both have been very helpful.

Your welcome. I would give it a week and then follow up with another email.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my boss wrote me up for doing what I did. And then he still made me move the same stuff from that room to another. Oh well.... I think I may start praying for a new job.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/09/1972

Praying here.