• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/24/1971

Ok, I'm almost uncertain about posting this here because the apologetics forum seems to have turned into a forum reserved for debating man's knowledge instead of defending the Word of God. Where Christians are rediculed for "shoving their opinions down the throats of others" when quoting the Word of God. I do not condemn any man for I leave that in the hands of God.

Hear now the Word of God and may our understanding of His word be made clear to each and everyone of us:

Revelations 22:18-20

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. "

At first, I assumed that this was referring just to the book of Revelations, however, there are no plagues mentioned in Revelations other than the plagues referred to from previous books of the bible. Therefore, the "book" referred to above appears to be speaking of the entire Word of God, not just Revelations. True, this is my opinion, but let's look at a couple of other verses that repeast this message earlier in His Word.

2 Peter 1:20

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. "

1 Corinthians 14:26

"How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying."

Sounds to me like the various denominations are supposed to edify one another in their doctrines, not disagree and argue about private interpretations of various scripture, which according to the previous two verses we shouldn't do anyhow.

Obiously, there are proverbs and parabils(sp?) in the bible that are obviously metaphorical in their meaning. These are easily identified by their wording.

We have all been guilty of reading too much into or too little out of various scriptures as some point in time, me included.

So what are the thoughts of my fellow brother's and sister's in Christ regarding these verses?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

Hi...good post...we are to search the scripture for knowldge and understanding...but if scripture doesn't back up your knowledge and understanding...it isn't the scripture that is wrong...honest...back scripture with scripture..(its late night here in england and too tired to look for said scripture)but i mainly agree with your post ...with the exception of:-

At first, I assumed that this was referring just to the book of Revelations, however, there are no plagues mentioned in Revelations other than the plagues referred to from previous books of the bible.

There are plauges mentioned in revalation...the ones that are yet to come in the tribulation

2 Peter 1:20

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. "

this is in refernace to things like....someone reads a verse..and out of the blue decideds it means such and such...without putting it into context...when you put scripture into context and use consistency...no matter who reads it ...it will read the same...private interpritation is someone who reads it....without context or consistency and decides it means something...withought checking other scripture.

hope this helps

Guest shiloh357
Where Christians are rediculed for "shoving their opinions down the throats of others" when quoting the Word of God.

This is a completely incorrect assessment of what has been happening.

Quoting the Word of God is one thing, and no one has been "ridiculed" for that.

It is an entirely different thing when you decide that a particular passage can only read and understood ONE way, and that if anyone reads or understands it differently than what YOU have determined to be correct, then they are "Slandering God, "Denying the Truth of Scripture," or some other form of condemnation designed to disuade polite debate.

The "ridicule" has been coming from people who refuse to accept the idea that someone else can look that the same verse or passage of Scripture they are looking at, and walk away with a different understanding.

That is when it IS "shoving their opinions down the throats of others." It is impolite and unChristian to respond to differences of opinions by casting disparagements upon the faith of others just because they dare disagree with you over how certain passages are read. It is because that kind of behavior, that people in the intellectual community regard many Christians as idiots.

It would be more polite when people arrive at different reading of Scripture, to allow them to explain how they arrived at their understanding, instead of heaping sneers and disparaging remarks, and even doubting their faith in the Lord. There is nothing wrong with being polite, and it get you a lot further with most people than a lot of the rudeness that has been projected here lately in the name of "quoting the Word of God."

It is impolite and unChristian to respond to differences of opinions by casting disparagements upon the faith of others just because they dare disagree with you over how certain passages are read

Im really surprised no one has quoted your posts back to you.

The "ridicule" has been coming from people who refuse to accept the idea that someone else can look that the same verse or passage of Scripture they are looking at, and walk away with a different understanding.

Yes...as soon as someone disagreed with you, you started the ridicule....and now even when they dont post...YOUR STILL DOING IT..

and what are you doing??"That is when it IS "shoving their opinions down the throats of others"

Nice job. Remember. Its not who you know here that will save you from hell...Its who you know at the right hand of God.

It would be more polite when people arrive at different reading of Scripture, to allow them to explain how they arrived at their understanding, instead of heaping sneers and disparaging remarks, and even doubting their faith in the Lord.

Yes, it would be more polite...but instead...you said

"your arrogant" "idiot" "conceited" "Not qualified to use the word of God" "unchristian"

Pretty much whats in the quote above. I dont know why the moderators cant see it. Certainly there are people here who do...they have told me. I guess its not the amount of truth in your posts that count... Its the amount of posts you have..and thats the truth

Enjoy... ..people are praying for you.

Guest shiloh357
Im really surprised no one has quoted your posts back to you.

Why don't you? Go for it. Also post what was said before and after. Keep it context. Show me where I have implied that anyone was going to hell, or that they are calling God a liar, or that they rebelling against God, or that they are God-slanderers, and other such things. And that is just was leveled at me. I dare not repeat the horrible things said to others. Show me where I said ANYTHING similiar to that.

Yes...as soon as someone disagreed with you, you started the ridicule

Prove it. Show me where I have made fun of anyone for disagreeing with me. Show me where I started even ONE thread to put down someone elses ideas. Show me one place where I put down the Word of God, or anyone for simply quoting the word.

and what are you doing??"That is when it IS "shoving their opinions down the throats of others"

I havent shoved anything down anyone's throat. I would be glad to see where I have tried to force anyone to agree with me.

Nice job. Remember. Its not who you know here that will save you from hell...Its who you know at the right hand of God.

Now you just proved my point. Casting disparagements upon me and basically implying that I am going to hell. Thank you for that brilliant illustration.

Yes, it would be more polite...but instead...you said

"your arrogant" "idiot" "conceited" "Not qualified to use the word of God" "unchristian"

Yes, I used those words, but you are ignoring HOW I used those words, and what the subject matter of the entire conversation was in which they were used. Instead, you just take things out of their natural context to conjure up some imagined accusation. I suggest that you go back and Post everything you are accusing me of saying, so that I can accurately answer your allegations.

Enjoy... ..people are praying for you.

yeah.... right. Very condescending of you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sounds to me like the various denominations are supposed to edify one another in their doctrines, not disagree and argue about private interpretations of various scripture, which according to the previous two verses we shouldn't do anyhow.

(snip)

We have all been guilty of reading too much into or too little out of various scriptures as some point in time, me included.

There is a place for discussing Scripture. The problem does come when we get out of hand. We in our society in general do not know how to conduct ourselves in a debate.

I've been accused for following doctrines of demons because I speak in tongues. I've been accused of listening to lies of Satan because I give credence to certain scientific interpretations. Such as this do turn discussions into war.

I could say more, but I fear someone may use my words to twist together a noose to hang me with my own words.

:blink:

After reading through the few posts in the thread, I am deeply moved to quote again:

1 Corinthians 14:26

"How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying."

Hi...good post...we are to search the scripture for knowldge and understanding...but if scripture doesn't back up your knowledge and understanding...it isn't the scripture that is wrong...honest...back scripture with scripture

Amen and Helleluiah!

There are plauges mentioned in revalation...the ones that are yet to come in the tribulation

I will have to look those up. I thought I remembered those as being the same types of plagues previously mentioned in previous books of the Bible.

this is in refernace to things like....someone reads a verse..and out of the blue decideds it means such and such...without putting it into context...when you put scripture into context and use consistency...no matter who reads it ...it will read the same...private interpritation is someone who reads it....without context or consistency and decides it means something...withought checking other scripture.

And that is EXACTLY what I believe. So, when two Christains read the same scripture and get two totally different meanings out of it, one of them is reading it out of context and has missed the boat.

What scares me is that once you find yourself reading several different parts of scripture out of context, a new denomination is born.

There is a national denomination of church that caters only to homosexuals: MCDXVI Metropolitan Church or something like that. They promote the "alternate lifestyles" of homosexuality, lesbianism and transgenderism and use scripture to back up their beliefs. How far out of context did they read Romans before they became a denomination of Christianity that believes that an "abomination" in the eyes of God is merely a "alternate lifestyle"?

I guarantee you they would tell you that your reading of scripture is "out of context" and that it's only your opinion. After all, who do you think you are? How dare you tell someone that their interpretation of the bible is inconsistent with what God has specifically said in His Word!

God is not a God of confusion. He is not a God of division.

There is a place for discussing Scripture. The problem does come when we get out of hand. We in our society in general do not know how to conduct ourselves in a debate.

I've been accused for following doctrines of demons because I speak in tongues. I've been accused of listening to lies of Satan because I give credence to certain scientific interpretations. Such as this do turn discussions into war.

I could say more, but I fear someone may use my words to twist together a noose to hang me with my own words.

:blink:

I am glad to see you are still with us. I pray that you stay with us in these discussions.

You've just mentioned one thing that I struggle with a lot. It bothers me sometimes to hear people speaking in tongues, yet it is one of the spiritual gifts outlined in scripture, along with prophecying, healing and many other great wonders. There are many various view points on this, but ultimately we must cast aside what we have been taught by man in whatever denominational background we come from and look toward His Word for the truth.

You've got to understand, I was raised Baptist, became an atheist in the middle of a baptist private school, completely denounced the existence of anything supernatural and did everything in my power to express that denouncement, 8 to 9 years later, had an experience with the Holy Spirit that most would consider insane and I'm still trying to find words to describe, knew for a fact that God existed from that point on, but totally hated organized religion and so considred myself agnostic even though I was really a born again Christian at the time and just didn't know it, went on to slowly creep back into the church, specifically the Presbyterian church and now I'm at some tiny little church that I feel the Holy Spirit has led me to with a whopping 40ish membership that is about as charismatic as they come, short of handeling snakes (when they start doing that I'm leaving..lol). I don't worship like that, but I feel that is exactly where God wants me right now.

While I struggle with the issue of speaking in tongues, at the same time, I believe that through God all things are possible. I will not deny that some may have that gift, nor can I deny that some may have the gift of prophecy and of healing. I have seen healing work through prayer. I know people that have gone in for chemo or for surgery even only to find that their cancer mysteriously vanished and eveything was either 100% healthy or benign depending upon the case. So I know that all things are possible through God.

I am extremely cautious of prophecy though. Something deep inside me has always told me to be cautious, and then I read the verses in Matthew where Jesus warns of false prophets and I realized why I am so cautious.

Many will take scripture out of context in the end times. It's our duty as Christians to study scripture and together as brother's and sister's in Christ determine the true meaning of His Word and then defend His truth above all else.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

And that is EXACTLY what I believe. So, when two Christains read the same scripture and get two totally different meanings out of it, one of them is reading it out of context and has missed the boat.

yes...unfortunatly that happens...i have no solution or wise words to to be able to change this i'm afraid.

re-spiritual gifts..i was raised (in my church life so to speak)by southern baptist missonaries...they said the spiritual gifts had ceased because that which is perfect has come in the form of the bible...to be that which is perfectis refering to a man...which man is perfect Jesus..he has not come back yet...i am now non-denominational...i am simply a follower of christ...the churches or groups i go to i am not a member of...i simply go to to worhip and praise God and keep in fellowship which is what we are commanded to do....i too was sceptical because of my upbringing...but then i was healed of cancer...i had cysts the size of melons fybroids and ovarian cancer...i have the medical documents to back this up(my dr does rather)..so i am no-longer doubtful...why put human limitations on God????he healed me ...no i didn't get anointed with oil...there wasn't thousands of people...we didn't all fall over slain in the spirit....the person who God chose to use to heal wasn't even a pastor of a church...he even said it is GOd who does the healing not him...its God who choses whos to be healed not him.

I have the Holy Ghost inside me as a christian...no demon can enter...a demon could not of healed me...it was from God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

There is a place for discussing Scripture.  The problem does come when we get out of hand.  We in our society in general do not know how to conduct ourselves in a debate.

I've been accused for following doctrines of demons because I speak in tongues.  I've been accused of listening to lies of Satan because I give credence to certain scientific interpretations.  Such as this do turn discussions into war.

:b:

I am glad to see you are still with us. I pray that you stay with us in these discussions.

You've just mentioned one thing that I struggle with a lot. It bothers me sometimes to hear people speaking in tongues, yet it is one of the spiritual gifts outlined in scripture, along with prophecying, healing and many other great wonders. There are many various view points on this, but ultimately we must cast aside what we have been taught by man in whatever denominational background we come from and look toward His Word for the truth.

You've got to understand, I was raised Baptist, became an atheist in the middle of a baptist private school, completely denounced the existence of anything supernatural and did everything in my power to express that denouncement, 8 to 9 years later, had an experience with the Holy Spirit that most would consider insane and I'm still trying to find words to describe, knew for a fact that God existed from that point on, but totally hated organized religion and so considred myself agnostic even though I was really a born again Christian at the time and just didn't know it, went on to slowly creep back into the church, specifically the Presbyterian church and now I'm at some tiny little church that I feel the Holy Spirit has led me to with a whopping 40ish membership that is about as charismatic as they come, short of handeling snakes (when they start doing that I'm leaving..lol). I don't worship like that, but I feel that is exactly where God wants me right now.

While I struggle with the issue of speaking in tongues, at the same time, I believe that through God all things are possible. I will not deny that some may have that gift, nor can I deny that some may have the gift of prophecy and of healing. I have seen healing work through prayer. I know people that have gone in for chemo or for surgery even only to find that their cancer mysteriously vanished and eveything was either 100% healthy or benign depending upon the case. So I know that all things are possible through God.

I am extremely cautious of prophecy though. Something deep inside me has always told me to be cautious, and then I read the verses in Matthew where Jesus warns of false prophets and I realized why I am so cautious.

Many will take scripture out of context in the end times. It's our duty as Christians to study scripture and together as brother's and sister's in Christ determine the true meaning of His Word and then defend His truth above all else.

Hi vrspock :P

A very good post friend :blink:

All Praise The Ancient Of Days