IGNORED

The Jewish female line.

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl

There has always been talk in my family about having Jewish in our family tree somewhere along the line. I know the Jewish family line is traced through the females.

Why is that?

And also in the Bible it traces Jesus's line through Joseph AND Mary if I am correct.

AND I read somewhere that Elvis's mum was Jewish..I never knew THAT before!

Guest shiloh357
There has always been talk in my family about having Jewish in our family tree somewhere along the line. I know the Jewish family line is traced through the females.

Why is that?

It is a tradition that even predates the apostle Paul. The reason for it is because the identity of the mother is never in question, but the identity of the father can be questioned, especially if she has slept with more than one man in recent days/weeks prior to being pregnant.

Even today, in the age of DNA confirmation, that tradition is still adhered to.

And also in the Bible it traces Jesus's line through Joseph AND Mary if I am correct.
Yes, but Mary is never mentioned. Joseph in keeping with ancient tradition was considered the son of both his own biological father as well as the being the son of Mary's own father. It is not uncommon for newphews and and son-in-laws in the Bible to considered "sons." The word for "son" in Hebrew has a much broader application than in english. The two Geneologies establish that Jesus was a son of Abraham and of the tribe of Judah as well as in the direct line of King David.

AND I read somewhere that Elvis's mum was Jewish..I never knew THAT before!
Never heard that before either.

Guest HIS girl

It is a tradition that even predates the apostle Paul. The reason for it is because the identity of the mother is never in question, but the identity of the father can be questioned, especially if she slept with more than one man in recent days/weeks prior to being pregnant.

Ah....I should have thought of that myself!!!! :24:

hasJoseph in keeping with ancient tradition was considered the son of both his own biological father as well as the being the son of Mary's own father. It is not uncommon for newphews and and son-in-laws in the Bible to considered "sons."

Oh, was Joseph blood related?

Guest shiloh357
It is a tradition that even predates the apostle Paul. The reason for it is because the identity of the mother is never in question, but the identity of the father can be questioned, especially if she slept with more than one man in recent days/weeks prior to being pregnant.

Ah....I should have thought of that myself!!!! :24:

Joseph in keeping with ancient tradition was considered the son of both his own biological father as well as the being the son of Mary's own father. It is not uncommon for newphews and and son-in-laws in the Bible to considered "sons."

Oh, was Joseph blood related?

Not to Mary, but He would have still been considered the "son" of his Father-in-law, nonetheless.

Guest HIS girl

Not to Mary, but He would have still been considered the "son" of his Father-in-law, nonetheless.[/quote)

Ok, I see.

Is it still custom for a woman to marry her deceased husband's brother if she was childless to him?

Or is that old hat?

Guest shiloh357
Is it still custom for a woman to marry her deceased husband's brother if she was childless to him?

Or is that old hat?

I don't know. that is a good question. I have never heard of it happening among Jewish people today, but that doesn't mean some obscure Ortodox groups don't. I really don't know, though.

Guest HIS girl

Or is that old hat?

I don't know. that is a good question. I have never heard of it happening among Jewish people today, but that doesn't mean some obscure Ortodox groups don't. I really don't know, though.

Maybe it's not necessary anymore because arranged marriages aren't as common.

I can see why they did it, but nah, not for me. What if there was a 10 year age difference with the next brother??? :thumbsup: