IGNORED

Song of Solomon - the Holiest book of the Bible?

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl

I have been reading a book by Derek Prince and in it he said he discovered that some Rabbis consider the book - Song of Solomon - to be in some ways the Holiest book in the Bible.

I am in the process of reading another book about the Song of Songs(notes from Watchman Nee) and he says even though Solomon composed a thousand and five songs, this one is by far the most excellent because it is called "The Song of Songs", meaning the best, like The Holy of Holies and the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. The ultimate.

Also the book I am reading of the Song of Songs, the author suggests it's a representation of how WE as individual Followers are to have a passionate, love relationship with Christ. Not so much as the Church and Christ.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HIS girl

Ok, I see your point, then why would Derek say he discovered that some Rabbis consider it to be the Holiest Book? I don't get it.

Guest HIS girl
SOS is a piece of highly charged Hebrew erotica, primarily written to celebrate the joy of sex between a (married) man and woman. You can read it as a metaphor for the relationship between Jesus and His followers if you want to, but keep in mind that it was written at least 900 years before Jesus was born and was considered so provocative that Jewish men were prohibited from reading it before the age of thirty.

Is this truly accurate?

I'm not doubting you, I just want to know.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

I have been reading a book by Derek Prince and in it he said he discovered that some Rabbi's consider the book - Song of Solomon - to be in some ways the Holiest book in the Bible.

I am in the process of reading another book about the Song of Songs(notes from Watchman Nee) and even though Solomon composed a thousand and five songs, this one is by far the most excellent because it is called "The Song of Songs", meaning the best, like The Holy of Holies and the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. The ultimate.

Also the book I am reading of the Song of Songs, the author suggests it's a representation of how we as individual Followers are to have a passionate, love relationship with Christ. Not so much as the Church and Christ.

Any thoughts?

SOS is a piece of highly charged Hebrew erotica, primarily written to celebrate the joy of sex between a (married) man and woman. You can read it as a metaphor for the relationship between Jesus and His followers if you want to, but keep in mind that it was written at least 900 years before Jesus was born and was considered so provocative that Jewish men were prohibited from reading it before the age of thirty. That means that Solomon's primary intent was not to describe the relationship between Jesus and the individual or Jesus and the church. To insist on that as the primary interpretation is dishonest and abusive of the text.

I disagree in the strongest terms. To throw the Song of Solomon out as just Hebrew erotica is a bizarre opinion. Shall we just cut it from the bible and toss it out? For if it is only what you say it is, certainly no home should allow it to remain, for it's just a erotic magazine of words instead of pictures.

By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not.

Song 3:1 (KJV)

This is either a massive bed (so big you can seek someone and not find them?) or she is seeking intimacy with the Lord, think about it.

Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:

Isaiah 5:1 (KJV)

Now Isaiah is at it! Shall we toss out this book as well?

Guest HIS girl

Please folks, can we refrain from using "magazine names" on this thread?

I don't think it's right considering I have used the word Holiest in the thread title.

I'm old fashioned but if you will..thanks. :emot-pray:

I edited it, sorry, I meant no offense. :emot-pray:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

okay for the most part i agree with what Another Traveler said. minus the offensive part :emot-pray: .

however i have to disagree with the whole premise of this thread. how can one book of the Bible be "more Holy" than another since they are all God breathed?

just my thoughts,

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Guest HIS girl
okay for the most part i agree with what Another Traveler said. minus the offensive part :emot-pray: .

however i have to disagree with the whole premise of this thread. how can one book of the Bible be "more Holy" than another since they are all God breathed?

just my thoughts,

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

I'd like to know that too : )

Derek Prince didn't expand on why some Rabbis thought this way. I'd say he was talking about Jewish Rabbis in Israel as Derek studied Hebrew and Aramaic at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

There are some that advocate dismissing or ignoring certain books because they believe that they understand the motive of the author, and therefore the book is not to be taken as an allegory, or because Solomon fell into sin, God couldn't have used him to write anything of value.

I have heard similiar arguments in relation to the book of Ecclesiastes. Some say it's just a sad book by a depressed person, but I don't buy that one, either.

To insist on that as the primary interpretation is dishonest and abusive of the text.

When someone makes this kind of a general statement without backing up what they are saying, I think the wording is devised to "end the conversation", case closed! Especially since no one insisted on either of the examples listed. I think the book is certainly filled with allegories, and that is why it is included in the bible.