IGNORED

ebay account theft...

Guest LadyC

Guest LadyC

i discovered today that my ebay account has been hijacked, and someone had listed four (beautiful) motorcycles for sale... i could not log in and access my account, because my email address and other account info had been changed. i contacted ebay and they are persuing legal action against the thief, and i have got control of my account again, and downloaded their toolbar with 'account guard' on it.

just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else? how common is account theft?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

Wow, that is terrible!

My wife got an email from ebay asking for some private information about our account because ebay said that someone had been attempting to get our information. Something like that. Looked real official, just like you would expect an ebay email to look.

Before giving the information she let me look at it. I found a site on ebay and sent it to them. A few minutes later they got back with us and said the email was totally bogus. I was suspicious because the return address said ebay, but also something else was added to the address that did not look right.

Lots of very bad people out there, that is for sure.

Guest LadyC

it's scary, isn't it!! i never got an email requesting information. i did get a notice that my email address on the account had been changed, and a bunch of emails from other members asking information about the bikes that "i" had listed. i followed the link to see what "i" was selling. wow, what a beauty! starting bid 915 bucks! wish i really had something like that to sell LOL. but the seller's instructions requested that bidders email first before placing a bid, i suppose because the seller was trying to make sure the change had gone through.

weird thing, i followed instructions to sign into my account and change my email back, and by the time i got the verification email and hit the link, i couldn't log in. when i went to 'live chat' with an ebay representative, they told me that by the time i'd hit the link in the verification email, the hijacker had already changed it again!

she said there had been a tremendous amount of fraud lately, such as what i experienced, and also mentioned the problem that you just described!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

I guess it is the new crime for the 21st century. I suppose PayPal is having the same problems, but it is so easy to use. They will just have to come up with better security.

My wife works in a grocery store and she says people walk out of the store with whole carts piled with food without paying. If they catch them they hardly ever do anything to them. So they just raise the price of doing business on ebay, and places like the grocery store and make the honest people pay more. Nice.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I sometimes go on the Miscellaneous Discussion Board (I'm a misc-fit, LOL!) and it seemed like every other day there was a question about account hijacking and/or the bogus e-mails. eBay will never ask for sensitive info in an e-mail. I used to get those all of the time and I would log on to the site given and give them bogus info such as being Bill Clinton and my e-addy being something obviously bogus.

As for the fees, I've quit selling on there because the fees are so ridiculous. To top that off, they've gotten all weird if you're late on a payment and they'll cut off your access in a heartbeat without any warning!!!

Guest LadyC

misc-fit huh? you should change your screen name on this board, i think misc-fit is cute LOL...

i've never had a sellers account on ebay. got nothing worth selling that i'm willing to part with! i only buy, and not very often.

maybe i'll go view the misc boards there and see if anyone else has been hijacked lately! i have never had any request for personal info there... although, i've gotten emails requesting verification of my credit card number supposedly from earthlink before! really obvious, since earthlink has never had my credit card number... i pay for internet service as part of my phone bill! i just delete that kind of stuff.

Guest LadyC

hmmm, you're quick ronald! i edited my last post to add more after you already started reading it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

misc-fit huh? you should change your screen name on this board, i think misc-fit is cute LOL...

i've never had a sellers account on ebay. got nothing worth selling that i'm willing to part with! i only buy, and not very often.

maybe i'll go view the misc boards there and see if anyone else has been hijacked lately!

The problem with being a seller is that people think of eBay as a huge online yard sale and they want to pay accordingly! I've got a huge bag of 8-tracks that I tried to start bids at $.01 and couldn't get any bids, but all the while, there are websites and discussion groups devoted to nothing but 8-tracks, so I just can't figure out why someone didn't bite for $.01! Think I'll head over to eBay and see if there are some good 8-tracks for a good price!!!

You may want to become a misc-fit once you get on there. They're good folks, so let me know and I'll start a welcome thread if you want to "join" them!

PS: I ain't changin' the user name unless I change it to Hank!