turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

I learned recently of a day on the Hebrew calendar called the 9th of Av. Supposedly, this is a day that many bad events of strong significance have befallen the Jews through the centuries. Is this historically true? And if so, is there any reason why this date in particular? Is today or tomorrow when it arrives in 2009? Sorry to bombard you with these three questions. But I thought I read somebody post about watching the news and paying particular attention to what occurs with Israel on the 9th of Av. Accidentally stumbling across that remark is how I got curious as to if there is really any validity to this date bringing bad happenings. ( Or if it is mere coincidence?) I do believe certain numbers have special importance to the Lord. But this is new to me. :laugh: Any answers or opinions out there?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I learned recently of a day on the Hebrew calendar called the 9th of Av. Supposedly, this is a day that many bad events of strong significance have befallen the Jews through the centuries. Is this historically true? And if so, is there any reason why this date in particular? Is today or tomorrow when it arrives in 2009? Sorry to bombard you with these three questions. But I thought I read somebody post about watching the news and paying particular attention to what occurs with Israel on the 9th of Av. Accidentally stumbling across that remark is how I got curious as to if there is really any validity to this date bringing bad happenings. ( Or if it is mere coincidence?) I do believe certain numbers have special importance to the Lord. But this is new to me. :noidea: Any answers or opinions out there?

many bad things including the destruction of the 1st and second temples destroyed

the tragedy of Tish b'Av begins with the "bad report" when Israel was leaving Eygpt and they sent in 12 men to spy out the land of Canaan.

10 of them gave a bad report (exception of Joshua and Caleb) and the people murmured against God. It was for this reason that they wandered 40 years in the desert until all of them died except Joshua & Caleb for their unbelief.

and the legend goes that both Temples were destroyed on this date also