• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I am halfway through this book. Has anyone read this book and what do they think?

At first I was not sure, but I kind of like the way it is getting at the Trinity.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shack Another View

No room for the historical Jesus? Must we reimagine God to make Him fit the rising universal church?

That seems to be the aim of The Shack's female "God." Here she is speaking to the main character, Mackenzie (Mack for short):

"For me to appear to you as a woman and suggest that you call me Papa is simply to mix metaphors, to help you keep from falling so easily back into your religious conditioning." [1,p.93]

"Religious conditioning?" Is that how Mr. Young views Biblical Christianity?

>>>>>()<<<<<

There Is A Book

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Matthew 24:24

Give To You The LORD'S Beloved

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 4:4

By The Holy One Who Loved You To The Uttermost

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:2

He Who Will Never Leave You

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Hebrews 13:5

Ashamed

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Romans 10:11

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 10:13

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

Yeah at first that kind of bugged me a little, but they make clear it is simply how they are showing themselves to throw the guy off a little, they still claim that God has a father nature to Him.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1981

:cool:Are you serious!!!!! Why do you read such APOSTASY!?!?!?! <ahttp://www.worthychristianforums.com/uploads/emoticons/default_emot-hug.gif' alt=':emot-hug:'> One word: HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it is not apostasy. It is a fiction book a good read, I actually think it is inspiring. It gives you a view of the Trinity and how they work together in love. If you have lost a child or have gone through any other similar tragedy it certainly is a good book to read for a Christian, it is helping me deal with some things.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The Shack is very well written and tells a wonderful story. It will resonate with anyone who has ever felt disappointment with God at some level. It also provides a wonderful opportunity for the church, as people of all levels and types of faith are reading it and enjoying it. As Christ-followers we should view this as a bridge to spiritual conversations.

The one caution I would offer is that it should not be read as a definitive theology regarding the Trinity and the nature of God. It is a work of fiction. I like to compare it to C.S. Lewis's, The Great Divorce. Like The Shack, The Great Divorce tells a very compelling story. In the case of The Great Divorce, the topic is the after-life. It gets you thinking about the reality of heaven and what it will be like. However, Lewis never intended that it be used as a source for accurate information regarding the true nature of the after-life. The Shack should be read with this same understanding.

Comparisons to the DaVinci Code are not really appropriate. The DaVinci code is a work of historical fiction. Historical fiction has rules that govern the genre. One of those rules is that the major historical details of the period in question should not be fictionalized so as to change historical facts. The fictional aspect in an historical fiction work should be in the details of the lives of the characters and minor details that would not change history. An example of good historical fiction is the book, Killer Angels, set in the civil war. The author did not change the historical details of the battle of Gettysburg. The Union still prevailed and Pickett

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/07/1981

The Shack is very well written and tells a wonderful story. It will resonate with anyone who has ever felt disappointment with God at some level. It also provides a wonderful opportunity for the church, as people of all levels and types of faith are reading it and enjoying it. As Christ-followers we should view this as a bridge to spiritual conversations.

The one caution I would offer is that it should not be read as a definitive theology regarding the Trinity and the nature of God. It is a work of fiction. I like to compare it to C.S. Lewis's, The Great Divorce. Like The Shack, The Great Divorce tells a very compelling story. In the case of The Great Divorce, the topic is the after-life. It gets you thinking about the reality of heaven and what it will be like. However, Lewis never intended that it be used as a source for accurate information regarding the true nature of the after-life. The Shack should be read with this same understanding.

Comparisons to the DaVinci Code are not really appropriate. The DaVinci code is a work of historical fiction. Historical fiction has rules that govern the genre. One of those rules is that the major historical details of the period in question should not be fictionalized so as to change historical facts. The fictional aspect in an historical fiction work should be in the details of the lives of the characters and minor details that would not change history. An example of good historical fiction is the book, Killer Angels, set in the civil war. The author did not change the historical details of the battle of Gettysburg. The Union still prevailed and Pickett's charge still occurred. The author inserted fictional dialogue between the main characters and inserted fictional characters into the mix. None of it changed or challenged the historical understanding of what happened at Gettysburg. The DaVinci Code actually inserted false historical facts into its narrative that created a new interpretation of church history. Because people understand the rules of historical fiction (that the details of the historical period remain true), some were tempted to believe the fictional details inserted in the book. This is not the case with The Shack. It is a complete work of fiction.

The Shack will definitely get people to thinking about God, His nature and their feelings about Him. But for a complete and fully accurate description of God, The Shack should not be looked to as a definitive source. It is a wonderful story that should drive us all back to the Bible looking for answers.

Should we read it? I would give a provisional, "Yes". For the person who is able to read the book for what it is, a work of fiction, it will have much value. For me, it caused me to reflect on my relationship with God. It also forced me back to the Bible to explore anew His character and nature. I served as an appetizer (it primed my appetite to get to the real meal). It has also given me some open doors for spiritual discussions with those who are exploring God, because they read the book.

For the person that has a high sensitivity to doctrinal purity, even in works of fiction, this book might be troubling. They may not be able to get past some of the doctrinal issues the story raises and may not be able to live with the contradictions these will raise in their thinking.

I guess that I am one of those people with a "high sensitivity to doctrinal purity"! I'm sorry but I will not waste my time reading such HERESY!!!!!! I have heard too many things contrary to God's word by some of the most respected people. You shouldn't encourage it one bit!!!!! Even if it is just a work of fiction.

It is not about doctrine it is a fictional account about a guy who loses his child to a horrible murder, and how could God let this happen? Something we have all wrestled with and I think the book does a good job with it. Is it perfect? No but it is not doctrine it is simply a good book and I think it does a good job describing the Trinity.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/24/1976

I really enjoyed this book. At times it brought me to tears!

You have to remember it is fiction!

But its message is uncomplicated and simply unwraps the age old question of where is God when it hurts?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

The evident implication by some is that those of us who enjoyed the book and got something positive from it are buying into subtle heretical doctrines that are leeching away at our spirits, and that this is symptomatic of the state the Church finds itself in during these 'late' times.

I think it is a shame that for some there is not the discernment to see that although this fictional book was never an attempt at doctrinal exactitude, it certainly wasn't a springboard to introduce some sort of watered down gospel or heretical teachings, but rather a book of emotional healing and a positive interactive relationship that flows from the authors attempt at depicting the unity of the Godhead into the heart and mind of the reader....and on this basis it works extremely well.

I enjoyed EricH's synopsis...it was positive and realistic without any of the high-pitched spiritual scare-mongering that positively insists on seeing the bogey man lurking behind every tree. :emot-highfive: