GodPreciousChild

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Alright so the bible says not to be yoked with unbelievers. That darkness cannot fellowship with light. That we cannot be a friend to the world and to him. So then, does this mean that we are not to hang out with any non-Christians? Or how does that work exactly?

I will say that it does seem that this naturally just happens because I guess non-Christians would find me weird/insane for having Christian beliefs and boundaries. So it does seem that they naturally will avoid me and not enjoy my company. However, what if I did find a non-Christian frind that was OK with my boundaries and wanted to hang out or whatever, am I to stay away from them?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/21/1981

Alright so the bible says not to be yoked with unbelievers. That darkness cannot fellowship with light. That we cannot be a friend to the world and to him. So then, does this mean that we are not to hang out with any non-Christians? Or how does that work exactly?

I will say that it does seem that this naturally just happens because I guess non-Christians would find me weird/insane for having Christian beliefs and boundaries. So it does seem that they naturally will avoid me and not enjoy my company. However, what if I did find a non-Christian frind that was OK with my boundaries and wanted to hang out or whatever, am I to stay away from them?

I would say pray for God to give you clarity. I know I have some boundaries, I have set for whether or not I will hang out with unbelievers. God has told me to draw close to certian unbelievers and then told me to get away from others. Unfortunately I don't think there is any real clear cut answers to this. I can't put my boundaries on you because we are all different and they might not work for you. Hope that helps a little.

Edited by tjhawks1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I would say pray for God to give you clarity. I know I have some boundaries, I have set for whether or not I will hang out with unbelievers. God has told me to draw close to certian unbelievers and then told me to get away from others. Unfortunately I don't think there is any real clear cut answers to this. I can't put my boundaries on you because we are all different and they might not work for you. Hope that helps a little.

Mixing with the wrong sorts can get you into trouble, as indeed was the case with this man.

13Once again Jesus went out beside the lake. A large crowd came to him, and he began to teach them. 14As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.

15While Jesus was having dinner at Levi's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

but it's something you have to do.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  52

Mixing with the wrong sorts can get you into trouble, as indeed was the case with this man.

13Once again Jesus went out beside the lake. A large crowd came to him, and he began to teach them. 14As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow me," Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.

15While Jesus was having dinner at Levi's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Hehe, awesome post :blink:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/21/1981

Just curious are you adding to my point or completely disagreeing.

that would really depend on your own spiritual maturity and then each individual person would be a case by case basis. It's hard to get a read on this with a discussion board so almost any answer you get will be skewed by people projecting their own experiences on your situation.

My opinion? I love hanging out with pagans. They're a lot of fun!

But I have to avoid situations where I am not going to be strong against the kind of temptation I would be faced with.

So are they coming over to my place or am I going to theirs? Will they respect my limits if I respect theirs?

If so, then I say the Lord COMMANDS you to go. The Lord is my light and my salvation...whom shall I fear?

And let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Just curious are you adding to my point or completely disagreeing.

I'm not disagreeing, but i must confess I didn't actually intend to tack it onto the end of your post.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

The term friend is too vague. A friend could be someone you take counsel with, someone who shares your faith, a "brother", or it could be someone you just met and like, a neighbor you talk with or someone you go to school with or play sports with.

If you are referring to the first, then no. If you are referring to the second, then yes. Be careful who you "trust" and take counsel from.

It would really help if you defined what you mean by friend.

Guest lovinghim4ever
However, what if I did find a non-Christian frind that was OK with my boundaries and wanted to hang out or whatever, am I to stay away from them?

Not necessarily.

Just don't let their lifestyle of non-Christian beliefs rub off on you.

Let the Holy Spirit lead you.

If Jesus stayed away from all non-Christian people none of us would be Christian.

:(

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  57

I don't believe that's the case. We are called to spread the Gospel. Sure, we can stand on the street corner and preach... but what good does that do? People will not listen unless they know we care. To truly care for someone you need to just be their friend. Of course, if your non-Christian friends are influencing you to sin, the friendship is not good for either of you.