• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  283
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1983

Actually, in Matthew 18, Jesus says the Church is the final authority. And Saint Paul writes to the Ephesians telling them that "the manifold wisdom of God is now made known through the Church," and to the Thessalonians he proclaims the Church is "the pillar and ground of the truth." The knowledge of which books are inspired was given to the Church.

The Canon of Scripture is a divine Revelation not found in Scripture.

Paul while writing to the Church at Ephesus states, "That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word." Ephesians 5:26 (He here is Christ Jesus, it here is us the Church, see verse 25) but we are washed by the water of the Word. For Jesus said, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." John 17:17 The Church has been given authority through Christ by His Word (II Timothy 3:15-17; Isaiah 8:20; I Peter 1:23-25).

Peter states, "(2) As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: (3) If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious." I Peter 2:2-3

Jesus told the Jews, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 The Bible is the final authority because it was given us from God.

Peter wrote of the writings of Paul being scriptures (II Peter 3:15-16). Man is to live by every word of God. (Matthew 4:4; Luke 4:4; Deuteronomy 8:3). The word give us hope, (Romans 15:4). In the Book of Revelation we are told of though who are slain for the Word of God (Revelation 6:9-11).

Yes the Church can be the final authority so long as it is found upon the Word of God. This how the Council at Jerusalem gave their answer concerning the Gentile believers (Acts 15:13-21). How where the synagogue of the Jews more noble in Berea then in Thessalonica (Acts 17:10-11)

"I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above thy name." Psalms 138:2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  512
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  01/25/1955

Actually, in Matthew 18, Jesus says the Church is the final authority. And Saint Paul writes to the Ephesians telling them that "the manifold wisdom of God is now made known through the Church," and to the Thessalonians he proclaims the Church is "the pillar and ground of the truth." The knowledge of which books are inspired was given to the Church.

The Canon of Scripture is a divine Revelation not found in Scripture.

Paul while writing to the Church at Ephesus states, "That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word." Ephesians 5:26 (He here is Christ Jesus, it here is us the Church, see verse 25) but we are washed by the water of the Word. For Jesus said, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." John 17:17 The Church has been given authority through Christ by His Word (II Timothy 3:15-17; Isaiah 8:20; I Peter 1:23-25).

Peter states, "(2) As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: (3) If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious." I Peter 2:2-3

Jesus told the Jews, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." John 5:39 The Bible is the final authority because it was given us from God.

So are the Apostolic Teachings.

Acts 15:28 For it hath seemed good to the Holy Ghost and to us, to lay no further burden upon you than these necessary things:

Acts 16:4 And as they passed through the cities, they delivered unto them the decrees for to keep, that were decreed by the apostles and ancients who were at Jerusalem. 5 And the churches were confirmed in faith, and increased in number daily.

Peter wrote of the writings of Paul being scriptures (II Peter 3:15-16). Man is to live by every word of God. (Matthew 4:4; Luke 4:4; Deuteronomy 8:3). The word give us hope, (Romans 15:4). In the Book of Revelation we are told of though who are slain for the Word of God (Revelation 6:9-11).

Yes the Church can be the final authority so long as it is found upon the Word of God. This how the Council at Jerusalem gave their answer concerning the Gentile believers (Acts 15:13-21). How where the synagogue of the Jews more noble in Berea then in Thessalonica (Acts 17:10-11)

"I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above thy name." Psalms 138:2

Man is to live by every word which comes from the mouth of God. Saint Paul exhorts the Thessalonians to hold fast to his teachings, whether they be in writing or what was spoken to them. Blessed Peter tells us that Saint Paul's writings are inspired, but he does not tell us what those writings are, nor does he tell us that his own writings are inspired.

The New Testament was not compiled into one edition until the late 4th century. That was the job of the Church, to preserve those writings, to publish them in one volume, and to verify them as authentic. Up until then, and ever afterwards, the Gospel was/is spread by word of mouth. The Apostles taught their doctrines to other men, who in turn taught their doctrines to other men, who in turn taught their doctrines to other men, and so on, right up to the present day (2 Tim. 2:2).

Jesus said to them: "Whoever hears you hears Me." He commanded them to preach, and He commanded those who heard their preaching to believe. But how can these commands be understood unless He also preserved them from all error in their preaching? The Bible plainly tells me that it does not contain the entire teaching of Jesus (John 21:25), and I am unable to believe that any of His teaching was ever lost to His Bride, the Church.

So, while I heartily agree that no teaching can ever contradict the plain meaning of Scripture, I also realize that Scripture does not explicitly contain every teaching that Christ imparted to His Church through the Apostles. I believe, and I hope I have demonstrated the Scriptural support for my belief, that since Pentecost Christ has always, and will continue, to speak to the world through His Church.

Guest shiloh357
The Bible plainly tells me that it does not contain the entire teaching of Jesus (John 21:25), and I am unable to believe that any of His teaching was ever lost to His Bride, the Church.
That is not what John 21:25 says.

Here is the text:

Joh 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that should be written.

John 21:25 does not say anything about extra teachings.

So, while I heartily agree that no teaching can ever contradict the plain meaning of Scripture, I also realize that Scripture does not explicitly contain every teaching that Christ imparted to His Church through the Apostles.
The reason it cannnot contradict Scripture is because anything taught by the Church must be examined in the light of God's Word. That makes the Bible the final arbiter on all matters of Christian faith and practice.

Secondly, there is no reason to believe that we need to go looking for other teachings or Scriptures outside of the true 66 book canon.

Your notions are very Roman Catholic, but I prefer the the truth of Scripture and biblical NT Christianity instead.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

God did use the Church to compile the bible no doubt about that.

But that really has nothing to do with RCC and what is going on in Rome today or the past 1000 years or so. Really if we wanted to simply use historical lines of authority we would have to go with the Eastern Church over Rome for legitimacy.

The concept of the Papacy has never had total acceptance by Christians in history, which is why the Eastern Church did not come up with their own pope when they split with the western Church, they never accepted the concept of a Pope in the first place, and do not today; instead relying on Bishops as scripture shows.

So yes it is too bad the the Christian Church is now divided after 2000 years of our history, we will have to see how this turns out, but it is a hard case to make that only one of these divisions is legitimate and all others are not, split is split we cannot go back and find now, the original. The Church was split long before Luther led the Reformation.

So for a final authority we must trust what the Church Fathers and the Apostles gave us in scripture, to go beyond that we will run into problems.

I would also yearn for one teaching authority for all biblical interpretations this is itself a biblical concept and it is the most appealing part of the Roman Catholic case ;and it is what Christ would want for us, however most of us honestly don't believe that the current Catholic Church is that authority given what they teach.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  512
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  01/25/1955

Secondly, there is no reason to believe that we need to go looking for other teachings or Scriptures outside of the true 66 book canon.

There was never a time prior to Martin Luther when the Canon of Scripture was limited to 66 books. The Council of Rome, and the Decree of Pope Damasus, from whom you accept the Canon of the New Testament, as well as the Council of Florence, one hundred years before Brother Martin, all set the Canon at 73 books.

You may search the world over, but you will never find a Bible that pre-dates Martin Luther that does not have all 73 books in it.

Consider the following:

1). Saint Paul writes to Timothy reminding him of the Scriptures he has known since childhood.

2). Saint Paul and Timothy were Jews of the Diaspora.

3). The Scriptures used exclusively by the Jews of the Diaspora were known as the Septuagint.

4). The Septuagint contains 1&2 Maccabees, Judith, Tobit, Ecclesiasticus, Sirach, & Wisdom.

5). Therefore, Saint Paul declared those books to be inspired Scripture.

I do not know what authority Brother Martin had, but I do not believe he had the authority to change the OT Canon from the one which was used from the very beginning of Christianity to a Canon which the Jews compiled in the 7th or 8th century A.D.

"The Oracles of God were committed to the Jews."

Saint Paul, Timothy, the Apostles, all the Jews present at Pentecost, were all Jews of the Diaspora, and to them was committed the Septuagint.