IGNORED

Who was Melchizedek?

Guest Xan

Guest EPHRIAM777
Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary says the following about Melchizedek:

A king of Salem (Jerusalem) and priest of the Most High God (Gen. 14:18-20; Ps. 110:4; Heb. 5:6-11; 6:20-7:28). Melchizedek's appearance and disappearance in the Book of Genesis are somewhat mysterious. Melchizedek and Abraham first met after Abraham's defeat of Chedorlaomer and his three allies. Melchizedek presented bread and wine to Abraham and his weary men, demonstrating friendship and religious kinship. He bestowed a blessing on Abraham in the name of El Elyon ("God Most High"), and praised God for giving Abraham a victory in battle (Gen. 14:18-20).

Abraham presented Melchizedek with a tithe (a tenth) of all the booty he had gathered. By this act Abraham indicated that he recognized Melchizedek as a fellow-worshiper of the one true God as well as a priest who ranked higher spiritually than himself. Melchizedek's existence shows that there were people other than Abraham and his family who served the true God.

In Psalm 110, a messianic psalm written by David (Matt. 22:43), Melchizedek is seen as a type of Christ. This theme is repeated in the Book of Hebrews, where both Melchizedek and Christ are considered kings of righteousness and peace. By citing Melchizedek and his unique priesthood as a type, the writer shows that Christ's new priesthood is superior to the old Levitical order and the priesthood of Aaron (Heb. 7:1-10; Melchisedec, KJV). Attempts have been made to identify Melchizedek as . . . an angel, the Holy Spirit, Christ, and others. All are the products of speculation, not historical fact; and it is impossible to reconcile them with the theological argument of Hebrews. Melchizedek was a real, historical king-priest who served as a type for the greater King-Priest who was to come, Jesus Christ (p. 819).

WOW...you'd think they'd at least mention JASHER in that dictionary...Thats why it's always best to research things a bit deeper than just a quick "fly by"..!

:)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Does that no go against scripture though?

As angels pointed out:

Hebrews 7:1   For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him,

2   to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace.

3   Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually.

Glad you could join us, Munari.  I started to post on the very same verse you highlighted, but then I changed my mind.  By coincedence you highlighted it, so let me ask you:  What do you think that means in reference to Yeshua?

Well, it means that he was not created, that he has always been. However, it is not to be taken literally in all ways, for we know that Jesus has a Father, and that he has a mother. We know his geneology, we know he was born and died. This is referring to Jesus' eternal existance as God, it is not referring to his human existance.

I probably should not have asked that.  I don't want to get into the Mary debate here.  Do you want to try to pick up where we left off 3 months ago? :)

Yeah, I knew you were TRYING   :P  to make a point about Mary...     :)

Pick up where we left off about Melchizedek? Sure, sounds good to me.

If I remember correctly, the discussion actually didn't beging about Melchizedek, but started about Catholic priests. You were saying that God only set up two priesthoods in the OT and that our priests of today were not a member of either of those. I then said that there were actually three priesthoods, the third being in the line of Melchizedek and that this is the line of priests that our Catholic priets follow.

Is that a good sumation? If I forgot anything, please let me know.

Close :)  There are still only two priesthoods established.  Meschezedik and Aaron.  I can go more into detail with this with my Bible, but I'm on a break at work, so I will do my best until I have my sword :thumb:

The Hebrew word for priest literally means "stand between".  The purpose of priests is to be a mediator between G-d and His people.  They were to offer sacrifices, not only for themselves, but for the people they represented.  They were also the only ones allowed to stand in the Holy of Holies (but only certain times).  When Yeshua came, He became our highpriest, our mediator.  He also became our final sacrifice.  He tore down the wall of partition between man and G-d because no one can come to the Father except through the Son, our eternal Highpriest.  He tore down the wall of partition because through Him, we ALL can go boldly to the throne of grace and recieve eternal forgiveness because His sacrifice is eternal.  And He is the last priest in the order of Melchezedik.  With the reasonings for the purposes of priests, can you see a legitimate reason for priests other than Yeshua?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Look over your shoulder. That's me.

:)

You know what... I see where this discussion is going already... and it will boil down to authority again, like any Catholic/Protestant topic will eventually do...

Yes, I do see a need for priests... I see a need for them because of the sacraments. At the Last Supper, Catholics believe that Christ instituted the Eucharist. We believe that with this institution (and with the later giving of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost), Christ made his Apostles priests who had the authority to teach, give the sacraments, and who could make others priests.