• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

Who do you think Melchizedek was? Was he Jesus?

His title was King Of Salem(peace) and High Priest Of God?

Jesus is referred to as the King Of Peace and High Priest of God.  Right?

Now here is what I find most interesting....

He brought forth bread and wine as a sacrifice and blessed Abraham.

The next time we see bread and wine as a sacrifice is at the last supper.

Also, Melchizedek is the only individual in the entire Bible that is both a King and a Priest.

The only time we ever see those two words together is in the New Testament when it is written that because of our faith in Jesus we have become Kings and Priests.

Usually, blessings and sacrifices always meant a blood sacrifice. Could Abraham have been so priveledged that he was allowed to see the manifestation of Gods Covenant to him incarnate?

That through him all the nations of the world shall be blessed?

I always have been intrigued by Melchizedek, but lately I see him in a whole new light.

What do you think?

Thanks, Joe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melchezidek was a type and shadow of what was to come.  It was very important to G-d that the eternal priesthood be cloaked in that of a king (or the King), but it was also important to Him that when He established the Aaronic priesthood, that no king was to ever be a priest.  This is very smart in that G-d did not want to entrust His holy priesthood to a line of human kings.  

Melchezidek is a human, but it was most important to institute this unusual priesthood because Yeshua could not be a priest under the Mosaic law since He is of the tribe of Judah and King. :)   The L-rd established two priesthoods, each with a specific purpose, and He perfected the priesthood of Melchezedik in Yeshua.  BTW, zedik in Hebrew means righteous.  Cool, huh :thumb:

Thanks Xan. I always enjoy your perspective on these threads.

:)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

That makes sense Eph. But, how did you figure that out? If you don't mind my asking.

Hi Eph,

I am kind of confused. I read Genesis 9 and saw where Noah said "Blessed be the Lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant."

But I dont see the connection between Shem and Melchizedek.

Enlighten us...

Thanks, Joe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Hi Joe,

Read Hebr.7 it tell you here who he is, he is without father, mother,without genealogy,he was made like the Son of God.

Also Ps.110vs:4 This talks about combination of priest and king. Melchizedek was priest and king, so is Jesus.

Melchezedek was the King of Jerusalem

Gen14:18,shows Melchizedek was the priest of God most high.

Angels

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary says the following about Melchizedek:

A king of Salem (Jerusalem) and priest of the Most High God (Gen. 14:18-20; Ps. 110:4; Heb. 5:6-11; 6:20-7:28). Melchizedek's appearance and disappearance in the Book of Genesis are somewhat mysterious. Melchizedek and Abraham first met after Abraham's defeat of Chedorlaomer and his three allies. Melchizedek presented bread and wine to Abraham and his weary men, demonstrating friendship and religious kinship. He bestowed a blessing on Abraham in the name of El Elyon ("God Most High"), and praised God for giving Abraham a victory in battle (Gen. 14:18-20).

Abraham presented Melchizedek with a tithe (a tenth) of all the booty he had gathered. By this act Abraham indicated that he recognized Melchizedek as a fellow-worshiper of the one true God as well as a priest who ranked higher spiritually than himself. Melchizedek's existence shows that there were people other than Abraham and his family who served the true God.

In Psalm 110, a messianic psalm written by David (Matt. 22:43), Melchizedek is seen as a type of Christ. This theme is repeated in the Book of Hebrews, where both Melchizedek and Christ are considered kings of righteousness and peace. By citing Melchizedek and his unique priesthood as a type, the writer shows that Christ's new priesthood is superior to the old Levitical order and the priesthood of Aaron (Heb. 7:1-10; Melchisedec, KJV). Attempts have been made to identify Melchizedek as . . . an angel, the Holy Spirit, Christ, and others. All are the products of speculation, not historical fact; and it is impossible to reconcile them with the theological argument of Hebrews. Melchizedek was a real, historical king-priest who served as a type for the greater King-Priest who was to come, Jesus Christ (p. 819).

Guest EPHRIAM777
That makes sense Eph. But, how did you figure that out? If you don't mind my asking.

I didn't "figer" it out on my own...! :P

That lil' ditty comes from the book of JASHER....( Jasher failed to make the vote at Nicea BTW...but so did over 3/4's of the Bishops alive at that time)...!

Did you ever read the book of Jasher Lana..? See Joshua 10:13..and 2 SAM 1:18...for a reference point..!

Guest EPHRIAM777
Hi Eph,

I am kind of confused. I read Genesis 9 and saw where Noah said "Blessed be the Lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant."

But I dont see the connection between Shem and Melchizedek.

Enlighten us...

Thanks, Joe

Well after the flood SHEM was the High Priest..!

...He (( according to the book of Jasher ) taught Abraham all about the Lord..Abe then gave "tithes of all" to him the Bible says...!

Plus I try not to "enlighten" people..Thats the Holy Spirits job..I just deliver the word..if the Holy Spirit doesn't turn a light on in your mind..I sure can't...!