• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

hi,

I was praying today when this thought struck me.

Sometimes when God called me, I agreed to what He said superficially. I knew what He said was right, I trusted in Him, but I found it too hard to let go.

But my heart was not willing to let go of what I wanted. All my energy was directed towards holding onto my desires.

So, when we do that, is it right to say that our desires become our idols, and as God said "we should no other idols in front of Him".

Does a desire we have find impossible to let go of become an idol?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/04/1973

An idol is when we give excessive devotion or reverance towards something or someone. it is when we become infatuated with or give excessice affection towards someone or something. Many things can become idols if we ar enot careful. Somethimes, we don't recognize it unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to us.

Trust

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

John 8:34-36

Him

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalms 139:23-24

Beloved

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Jeremiah 31:3

hi,

I was praying today when this thought struck me.

Sometimes when God called me, I agreed to what He said superficially. I knew what He said was right, I trusted in Him, but I found it too hard to let go.

But my heart was not willing to let go of what I wanted. All my energy was directed towards holding onto my desires.

So, when we do that, is it right to say that our desires become our idols, and as God said "we should no other idols in front of Him".

Does a desire we have find impossible to let go of become an idol?

Yes...it does.

sometimes the simplest and most direct answer is the best. and i couldn't have said it any simpler or more direct! :laugh:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Paul had an interesting take on idols in Romans:

For though they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God or show gratitude. Instead, their thinking became nonsense, and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man, birds, four-footed animals, and reptiles.

Romans 1:21-23 HCSB

It seems that there is a relationship between people lack of gratitude to God and their propensity to turn to idols

Paul had an interesting take on idols in Romans:

For though they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God or show gratitude. Instead, their thinking became nonsense, and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man, birds, four-footed animals, and reptiles.

Romans 1:21-23 HCSB

It seems that there is a relationship between people lack of gratitude to God and their propensity to turn to idols

:whistling:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I don't know EricH/Joe, it's not for lack of gratitude that everyone hold on to idols. I dare say to that this kind of thinking can be naive.

Sometimes people hold idols because of conditioning. Conditioning from their parents, conditioning from the media, conditioning from life in general. There are many ways that a person can be attached to idols but it does not mean that a person has no or little gratitude towards God. Maybe some, but not all.

If a drug addict has trouble separating himself from it could you say it's because he has no gratitude towards God? It doesn't have to be drugs, but there are many things that cause similar addiction. Runners love to run because after a certain point, they receive a rush of endorphins which is the feel good hormone that the brain creates. Runners can separate themselves from running but I'm alluding to something else. So, it's not a lack of gratitude but conditioning, addiction, and perhaps, unfulfilled desire.

As proverbs says:

Proverbs 13:12

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Not saying it's okay but... it takes time and repeated effort to break down.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know EricH/Joe, it's not for lack of gratitude that everyone hold on to idols. I dare say to that this kind of thinking can be naive.

Sometimes people hold idols because of conditioning. Conditioning from their parents, conditioning from the media, conditioning from life in general. There are many ways that a person can be attached to idols but it does not mean that a person has no or little gratitude towards God. Maybe some, but not all.

If a drug addict has trouble separating himself from it could you say it's because he has no gratitude towards God? It doesn't have to be drugs, but there are many things that cause similar addiction. Runners love to run because after a certain point, they receive a rush of endorphins which is the feel good hormone that the brain creates. Runners can separate themselves from running but I'm alluding to something else. So, it's not a lack of gratitude but conditioning, addiction, and perhaps, unfulfilled desire.

As proverbs says:

Proverbs 13:12

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Not saying it's okay but... it takes time and repeated effort to break down.

I am only pointing out what Paul said in Romans.