irishcowboy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

while sitting and relaxing a bit ago, I recalled an event that happened to a friend of mine while he was in the Army going through Jump School...

This friend and me are the third generation of friends in our families, his Grandmother and mine, his mother and mine, and then him, his sisters and me. so far our kids have not met......

While going through Jump School, they had to do a nigh jump, and one of the instructions when jumping is that if you get hung up in a tree, you need to relax, take a few deep breaths, DO NOT PANIC, and once you are calm, take off you helmet, hold it out, and drop it counting one onethousand, two onethousand, three one thousand...... as you listen for your helmet to hit the ground. Using the formula for time and distance for an object falling you can find out how high you are off the ground.....

well, Karl, of all people, did his jump and sure enough, the jump started out uneventful, until the very tail end of the jump, he felt his feet hitting the branches and he prepared for the jolt as he either hit the ground with his feet, and also prepared to be hit with the shock of the parachute stopping and his body continuing on.

Karl came to an abrupt stop as he thought he would. Hanging from the Parachute, dangling from the shock cords tangled in a tree, feeling like an marionette swinging from his perch, he relaxed and listened to the tree so that he could be prepared if the chute or the branches gave way. It was not long when he stopped swinging, so he unstrapped his helmet and held it out and dropped it,

one one thousand, (he hears the helmet go through a couple branches below him)

two one thousand,

three one thousand,

four one thousand,

five one thousand,

six one thousand,

seven one thousand,

eight one thousand, .......

after counting a bit longer, he decided it was useless for he was not going to drop out of his harness that far, for he had yet to hear the helmet hit the ground.

Karl hung there through out the night, every once in a while, he would give a call out to see if any of his group was in the area to come and either rescue him or so they can get some one else there to get him down.......

not really very comfortable, he did not sleep through out the night.....

but when dawn broke, he was not really believing his eyes, so he waited, thinking he might just be imagining what he thought he was seeing, then he looked down and saw his helmet about two foot below his feet, sitting in the leaves on the ground........

needless to say he unhooked his harness and dropped to the ground....

anyways, we ( my family, being a good many have military backgrounds) thought this was just a hoot.... of course this never happened to any of us, nor has anything similar to this happened.... (NA, NOT TO MEEEE!!!!!)

mike

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

:laugh: ....jot