• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1964

Ever since I learned about the different Christian creeds, I've wondered why Christians don't go by the Apostle's Creed,(which was the earliest creed....supposedly straight from the apostle's mouths) not that long after Jesus' death and Resurrection instead of the Nicene Creed.

I mean-what exactly was wrong with this original creed, that Constantine had to change what Christians are to believe to the Nicene Creed? And the Nicene Creed has been changed several times after the original one!

The creeds are close in what is taught....except for the adding of the "Trinity" doctrine, which is NOT listed in the original Apostle's creed.

Maybe this is not an important thing to worry about, but it bugs me a lot. Makes me wonder why we had to change it in the first place.......???

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Ever since I learned about the different Christian creeds, I've wondered why Christians don't go by the Apostle's Creed,(which was the earliest creed....supposedly straight from the apostle's mouths) not that long after Jesus' death and Resurrection instead of the Nicene Creed.

I mean-what exactly was wrong with this original creed, that Constantine had to change what Christians are to believe to the Nicene Creed? And the Nicene Creed has been changed several times after the original one!

The creeds are close in what is taught....except for the adding of the "Trinity" doctrine, which is NOT listed in the original Apostle's creed.

Maybe this is not an important thing to worry about, but it bugs me a lot. Makes me wonder why we had to change it in the first place.......???

Supposedly is the important word here. A lot of people don't think it was written until 300ad if not later. I don't really pay attention to any creed, to be honest. I can read the Bible and figure it out for myself.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. (1 Timothy 3:16)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/09/1964

Yes, I know what it means to be saved.....my whole question was why was the Apostle's Creed "done away with" basically, and most Christian churches use the Nicene Creed?

It was just a question....not a debate on salvation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, I know what it means to be saved.....my whole question was why was the Apostle's Creed "done away with" basically, and most Christian churches use the Nicene Creed?

It was just a question....not a debate on salvation.

There is nothing wrong with a creed per se. All the creeds were designed to do was articulate doctrine in a clear summarized way (especially in days before print was available to the masses.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

The Bible is my Creed.

The Bible is my Creed.

the bible is not a clear and consise summary.... so if erich's definition is correct, then the bible can't be a creed.

The Bible is my Creed.

the bible is not a clear and consise summary.... so if erich's definition is correct, then the bible can't be a creed.

Jesus

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalms 119:11

Jesus

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

Jesus

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 Corinthians 2:2

Hallelujah!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

John 3:15-21