IGNORED

THE PROPHETIC MOVEMENT FAILING GOD??

jamie

Guest shiloh357
It ain't a "trial & error" kinda job.

2 Samuel 7

1 After the king was settled in his palace and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies around him, 2 he said to Nathan the prophet, "Here I am, living in a palace of cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent."

3 Nathan replied to the king, "Whatever you have in mind, go ahead and do it, for the LORD is with you."

4 That night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, saying:

5 "Go and tell my servant David, 'This is what the LORD says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? . . . .

Well, Nathan told David the wrong thing first. . . .

:huh:

Nathan was not prophesying when he made his first remarks to David. He did not say "thus saith the Lord" and then have to come back and reprophesy.

The Lord was with David. Nathan knew this to be true since God had given David "rest on every side from all his enemies" (2 Sam. 7:1)

I see Nathan as simply giving his own opinion or advice, and then later actually getting a Word from the Lord.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other way either stifles the gift or corrupts it.

a gift is given...not learned.

I am the God that makes mistakes???

God doesn't make mistakes. We do. Unless of course you are different. May I ask you this. If you believe that a person is a false prophet because they blow it, are you willing to throw the first stone?

Nah, I just ignore them because they are not to be regarded as a prophet.

If a prophet says, "We are going to be invaded by China this year" and it doesn't happen should I listen to them when they later say "We are going to be invaded by Russia"

???

If so...why?

If not...why not?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

Seriously wishing the Bible had a good descriptive story of what a prophet went through to become a prophet and how they actually heard from the Lord :

(Gen 20:7 KJV) Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.

The Lord spoke this word about Abraham, one of the better documented lives told of in the bible. His life is not a blueprint, as every life differs from another, but there are many things that can be learned by studying Abraham's life, the first being that you can not be too young or too old, age is not the issue. God is never too late nor too early.

(Gen 17:1 KJV) And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

(Gen 17:3 KJV) And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

(Gen 17:5 KJV) Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

God's timing (99 years old), man's response (on his face), and change begins (new name).

(Gen 18:1 KJV) And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

(Gen 18:2 KJV) And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,

God's timing (heat of the day), man's response (lifted up his eyes and looked) and (saw them, ran to meet them, and bowed toward the ground), and more change (promise given).

(Gen 22:2 KJV) And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

(Gen 22:3 KJV) And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.

The eventual acid test, which Abraham passed, moved him beyond the prophet aspect into the friend of God aspect.

(Isa 41:8 KJV) But thou, Israel, art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend.

(James 2:23 KJV) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

(James 2:24 KJV) Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

You won't read the story of Abraham without seeing weakness, failure, fear, prayer, mercy, repentance, forgiveness, seperation, loss, gentleness, strength, and much more. Simply it is the story of a man giving his life and his all to the Lord, growing with each step and each misstep, and God calling and making him a Prophet.

No one should take any position unless God calls them to it, including pastor and teacher, and they will go through lots of things to fulfill God's will in their life.

(1 Pet 4:12 KJV) Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

(1 Pet 4:13 KJV) But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes, but how did he hear the voice of the Lord? And know it was the Lord?

And one thing I am wondering with the prophetic - what is the difference between a prophet and someone who has the gift of "a word of wisdom" and/or "a word of knowledge"?

Will the Lord give these gifts to people who are not prophets?

I know when praying over people, there have been times I "see" something (came like I would "see" a daydream - only there was something about it that placed it with what I was praying about). Is that a "word of knowledge"? If not, then what is it? If so, does that make me a prophet?

But I don't always understand what I "see" nor could I always tell what the Lord was saying out of it.

Likewise, I still don't always now for sure when I am receiving a revelation from the Lord versus "producing" my own interpretation - which tends to be wrong a lot.

So how would you sort this out?

This is what puzzles me.

You don't have to be in the office of Prophet to prophecy.

Even Balaam prophecied...not to mention his donkey!

The rest of your question depends on a few variables. Sometimes God may give us a word meant only for "us" instead of for others.

Just don't go farther than what you KNOW is from Him. :x: Prophecy is a dangerous thing in the mouth of someone who is not called to be one.

Through time in prayer and study of His Word (the whole thing) you will know when to speak and when to hold it if you truly are a Prophet.

Everybody wants to be a Prophet but that doesn't mean they are ready for it or called to be one. Remember, Prophets were stoned in Israel. :rofl:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  340
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

The other way either stifles the gift or corrupts it.

a gift is given...not learned.

I am the God that makes mistakes???

God doesn't make mistakes. We do. Unless of course you are different. May I ask you this. If you believe that a person is a false prophet because they blow it, are you willing to throw the first stone?

Nah, I just ignore them because they are not to be regarded as a prophet.

If a prophet says, "We are going to be invaded by China this year" and it doesn't happen should I listen to them when they later say "We are going to be invaded by Russia"

???

If so...why?

If not...why not?

Yod,

You are a good guy who has always been fair on these threads. You are pretty level headed. I always appreciate that. Shiloh came out with a point that bears looking at. Nathan did not say "Thus saith the Lord."

Now I tell young budding prophetic voices, "Learn to say it in such a way that you allow the hearer to hear 'I could be wrong', and never say 'Thus saith the Lord" unless you are willing to eat stone soup."

In your fairness, is it possible to allow that young prophet the chance to grow up in the gift, or is it only possible that he is either born hearing the voice of God, or the voice of demons? Remember, you have Samuel who didn't recognize the voice of God twice resting on your decision. I think you have mercy in you, and so give it to us poor pitible prophets trying so desperately to distinguish Gods voice from all of our experiences, fears, hopes and dreams, and Pizza hut. We don't like Stone soup. It taste very bad. :sweating:

Now I tell young budding prophetic voices, "Learn to say it in such a way that you allow the hearer to hear 'I could be wrong', and never say 'Thus saith the Lord" unless you are willing to eat stone soup."

oh...that's different.

In your fairness, is it possible to allow that young prophet the chance to grow up in the gift, or is it only possible that he is either born hearing the voice of God, or the voice of demons? Remember, you have Samuel who didn't recognize the voice of God twice resting on your decision.

But Samuel didn't go around saying "Thus saith the Lord" for many years afterward. Learning to recognize the voice of the Lord is extremely proper for a Prophet before speaking.

so give it to us poor pitible prophets trying so desperately to distinguish Gods voice from all of our experiences, fears, hopes and dreams, and Pizza hut. We don't like Stone soup. It taste very bad.

Was my response that harsh? I apologize and sincerely ask your forgiveness if I have impuned or even appeared to impune your integrity as a brother or a Prophet.

Pizza Hut? :P

YUM!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  340
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I like you. Your funny! If anybody on this net is allowed to impugn me, or even tickle me a little, it is YOD! :laugh: