• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

wow, parker.

i smoked for over 30 years before finally kicking the habit. it's NOT easy. maybe it was easy for you, but it ain't easy, and certainly no easier than losing weight and changing your lifestyle. in fact, losing weight and changing my lifestyle has been far easier than quitting smoking ever was. and since smoking is a LEGAL activity, it's discrimination. period. try to be a little more charitable instead of telling people to quit whining. discrimination in the workplace should be illegal. unfortunately people just don't care about smokers... and i've found that most ex-smokers are the most hateful. i hope i'm never like that.

It wasn't easy for me either. Took years and at least ten times. My point is that if you want to smoke, find a job where the company doesn't care or stop whining because you can't smoke at work or smell up your environment with the smoker odor. By the way, I used to be a Respiratory Therapist, so I know what smoking does to a person. Smoke if you want, just be prepared to pay the consequences.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't hire people who I know smoke.

We have youth programs and we work with people who are struggling our employees must set an example.

Smoking IS a right and so is drinking and so is eating whatever we want and I really don't like the government telling me or anybody what they can do in their private realm including smoking. But part of that is that the government can't tell ME who I can hire or not as long as I don't discriminate based on race or ethnicity.

So yeah smoke away that is your right and I have a right to not hire you if you stink like smoke.

Now I don't think it would be wise to not hire smokers for jobs that smoking does not get in the way or set a bad example. In those cases I don't think it should be relevant.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

As far as the church goes we are exempt from many employment laws, we can for example restrict employment to practicing Christians for example.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Now I don't think it would be wise to not hire smokers for jobs that smoking does not get in the way or set a bad example. In those cases I don't think it should be relevant.

Well, that's an inteesting point.

Do you want a nurse speaking to your lung-diseased grandmother with smoker's breath?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

As far as the church goes we are exempt from many employment laws, we can for example restrict employment to practicing Christians for example.

employment laws dont cover smoking, since it is a optional activity.

my point was that not very many Christians would have an issue with their church not hiring a person for a non-ministry position because of their beliefs, yet they have a huge issue with a work place wanting a smoke free work force?

seems a bit odd to me

To me also... everyone needs to feed a family and eat and have a job. I still don't want to pay higher group insurance premiums to encompass people who choose unhealthy lifestyles - whether it be smoking, morbid obesity, etc. IF those individuals choose to live that way - then they are the ones who should have to pick up the tab for it - not the non-smokers and people who try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and environment. Is that a bad way to feel? :noidea:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I don't smoke and never have. My parents did; but I never took up the habit, I've never even liked the smell of the stuff.

This is not about whether you smoke or not. This is about companies run by humanistic politically correct policies telling people what they CAN and CAN'T do in their OFF-TIME. The hospital is not saying to prospective employees "You can't smoke while you're at work", the hospital is saying to prospective employees "Because you have exercised a personal choice to smoke at all, we will not hire you." It is in effect creating a class of people who are unable to be hired. Private companies DO NOT have the right to govern the off-time of their employees. If they do, then we live in a police state governed by our employers.

As for the question about the flaming homosexual cross-dresser, would I hire such a person? If they were best qualified for the position, yes...with the stipulation that they must dress gender appropriate at work and at work-related functions. That would be within my purview of authority as an employer.

As for what's next? Guns. I can see it now. Company X will not hire you if you own a gun or guns.

This is a very sneaky way of getting rid of things you don't like. If it works with smoking, they will figure it works with other things, and they will continue to use the method.

Also, smoking is not a right; in fact, it's not even a moral issue. It's a personal choice. I as an employer have no right to tell you what you can do in your off time. The insurance company has the right to pass the premium cost on to the consumer if they smoke however. Also an employer DOES (as I stated above) have the authority to forbid smoking at work.

thank you B.B. you got to the heart of the matter without all the emotional baggage that most people (including myself) carry into the topic.