Guest EPHRIAM777

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Isn't Elijah supposed to come back again to herald Jesus' second coming?  If so, do you think we would recognize him?

(I just read this in some 7th Day Adventist literature so I'm not sure if it is their doctrine or if this is generally accepted as part of the prophecy picture.) :???:

I guess I should add the scripture this is based on:

Malachi 4:5 I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

It is speculated that Elijah and Moses will be the two witnesses of Revelation 11. They were seen at the mount of transfiguration with CHRIST. Some also believe Enoch could be one of the witnesses too, but only time will tell. Peace, but not yet.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

Matt 17:10-13:  And His disciple asked Him, saying, "Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?  Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Elijah truly is coming, first and will restore all things.  But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but to him whatever they wished....Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.

So, is it Elijah or the spirit of Elijah?  I'm confused about this myself.  I would be very cautious about SDA literature though. :shocked:

Wordsower, I agree about the SDA literature, just was studying the Sabbath commandment and they have lots on it, and came across this about Elijah, got curious, posted here, still learning :inlove:

So then according to Matt 17:10-13, if Elijah did come already, then has the great and dreadful day of the Lord (Malachi 4:5) already happened too?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

No, I think He meant that John the Baptist came to preach the Messiah's 1st coming.  (the "spirit" of Elijah)

Rev 11 tells us he's coming again before the dreadful day of the Lord-a prophet to warn those still here and to preach the gospel before Christ's second coming.  

Just wondering if it is literally Elijah?  I think it is.  Says they are clothed in sackcloth (?)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

Josephstrks:

Elijah (Elias in Greek) was to only come once.  Christ answered that he had come.  We have to put aside "time" and look at how God deals with fulfillments of prophecy and that is in "fullness of things".  He - Elijah - came just as he was promised by God to  do.  The prophecy of the two witnesses has nothing to do with Elijah.  Since John the Baptist, Heaven no longer suffers violence but now only the humbled with the Gospel may enter in.  Until that time is "full", then the "Day of the Lord" is delayed.

It doesn't matter whether it takes 2000 or 4000 years to come to fulness, God has kept His promise and already sent Elijah before that day.

God Bless.

Thanks RCruise for the response.  I am discovering that my questions are not as simply answered as I hoped, as it seems there are many different viewpoints on so many topics.  I guess I'll keep on studying formyself :shocked: