• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

This may seem strange and maybe it is just me, but it seems to me whenever an atheist and a Christian have a discussion on this topic, the atheist seems to always become defensive. Could this be because the atheist is not so sure of being right and is trying to convince himself he is. I think a large percentage of the people that call themselves atheist have some doubt in what they believe. Just my thought.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This may seem strange and maybe it is just me, but it seems to me whenever an atheist and a Christian have a discussion on this topic, the atheist seems to always become defensive. Could this be because the atheist is not so sure of being right and is trying to convince himself he is. I think a large percentage of the people that call themselves atheist have some doubt in what they believe. Just my thought.

This could be true, but there are also Christians who become defensive, especially if they are relatively new Christians who are as yet not well versed in scripture. They believe, but they are not at a place where they are able to debate, or to make the decision that it is unfruitful to debate in some circumstances. This happens to all of us.

As to a person becoming atheist, it is my opinion that they were never saved in the first place. OSAS is just a doctrine invented by man, and all who turn from Him, never turned to Him in the first place.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

We tend to measure everything on human terms and when that happens too much and too often then we become atheists. God wants our full attention by provding us with Jesus to help us along.

Blessings

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

I don't think anyone who has seen the light and been filledcan just leave, and not believe. You can't run from him. You can't hide from him. He will find you.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

One idea from the passage in 1 Peter 1 is that the fellow believed that he was a spiritual giant and therefor failed to grow. He later rejected the existence of God, not realizing that his own concept of God was false. Then he started to grow spiritually.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

A born-again atheist is akin to a soft butcher :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/20/1944

I have sen trees fall over when a wind comes . Because thier roots are not deep.Christians Can losse there faith when thier roots, are not deep.We must know God as are Father and understand him. We Must study the word. Read your Bible.Gord All Glory be to God.

Guest shiloh357
Thirty years ago, a friend of mine had a large and successful ministry, and today he is an atheist. He is actually a kinder, calmer person than he used to be.

2 Peter 1:9 is sometimes used to teach that a genuine Christian can become an atheist. "For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins."

In researching the verse, I noticed that the next verse says:

"Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;" It seems that Peter is warning them that if they aren't diligent about making their calling and election sure, they could forget that they were purged from their old sins.

I would appreciate intelligent comments on this passage.

2 Peter 1:9 has nothing to do with becoming an atheist. It refers to a person who has contracted a wilful blindness and a wilful forgetfulness. It refers to a falling back into sin, but not all out atheism. It is a stern warning that should be taken seriously, nonetheless.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I know that this scripture was posted above, but it bears repeating.

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." 1John 2:19

Genuine believers do not wander from the truth in any significant way as to characterize them as unsaved.

Guest shiloh357
I know that this scripture was posted above, but it bears repeating.

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us." 1John 2:19

Genuine believers do not wander from the truth in any significant way as to characterize them as unsaved.

That is very true. There are those who participate in the external Christian community, but have never been truly saved. Religion/religiosity eventually caves into the flesh.