Fez

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I think it is important to point out that this advice was given to address a particular need for the Corinthians and was not being offered as universal church doctrine.

The epistles contain doctrine, but they also contain instructions relevant to the specific congregation or person to whom they are written.

Don't the "instructions" at Corinth apply to all churches?

so you actually think that if Paul made a specific instruction at one church then other churches may not have to adhere to it unless they were told to?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest man
I think it is important to point out that this advice was given to address a particular need for the Corinthians and was not being offered as universal church doctrine.

The epistles contain doctrine, but they also contain instructions relevant to the specific congregation or person to whom they are written.

so you actually think that if Paul made a specific instruction at one church then other churches may not have to adhere to it unless they were told to?

1 Corinthians 11

16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

:thumbsup:

1 Corinthians 11

16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

:emot-hug:

so you are agreeing with me?

you placed a scripture and no explanation followed it.

the scripture you placed agrees with my point and against Shilohs

Guest shiloh357

Paul's instructions often were in response to specific, unique issue or problem that church was facing. That is why you don't see Paul making an issue about length of hair in Phillipians or Galatians. While everything is inspired, not every written is "doctrine" meant for all people for all time. It takes a little more effort to filter out what is doctrinal from what is personal and meant just for that congregation.

Paul's instructions often were in response to specific, unique issue or problem that church was facing. That is why you don't see Paul making an issue about length of hair in Phillipians or Galatians. While everything is inspired, not every written is "doctrine" meant for all people for all time. It takes a little more effort to filter out what is doctrinal from what is personal and meant just for that congregation.

so what made you determine (or used to determine) that this is only a Cor issue and not a universal church type doctrine?

Paul said a bit of things so what rule are you using that determines what you will keep and what you will not?

you definitely took the stance of over-riding 2 Timothy 3:16:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,...

that's fine. just curious of your method

Guest shiloh357
so what made you determine (or used to determine) that this is only a Cor issue and not a universal church type doctrine?
Because it is not a doctrine. Doctrine pertains to those teachings that provide a foundation for practical Christian living. Examples of doctrine would be things like the Deity of Jesus, Justification, Sanctification, Sin, Redemption, etc.

Length of hair is a personal issue of conscience. It is not set as doctrine and is not offered as docrtinal by Paul.

Paul said a bit of things so what rule are you using that determines what you will keep and what you will not?
it's called using proper heremeneutics. If we start connecting hairstyles to righteousness, it opens up people to being judged based on their hair, which is absurd. It would be like being judged by the music you listen to.

you definitely took the stance of over-riding 2 Timothy 3:16:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,.

Paul is making a general statement about the Word of God. That does not mean that every verse does all of those things. Not every scripture is doctrinal, such as narratives or genealogical lists. Nothing I said violates what Paul said.

BTW, if you think long hair is unscriptural, are likewise offended and outraged at all of the paintings and films that depict Jesus with long hair??

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

If you carefully read verses 1 thru 16, you'll see something that not very many people catch.

I was hoping man would come back and explain this, because if I'm seeing what he's talking about in the passage, I sure don't know it.

Guest man

After Paul finishes speaking on the issue of long and short hair, he basically states that it is not a sin and the church holds no such doctrine pertaining to the length of hair.

1 Corinthians 11

Guest man
If you carefully read verses 1 thru 16, you'll see something that not very many people catch.

I was hoping man would come back and explain this, because if I'm seeing what he's talking about in the passage, I sure don't know it.

I'll be back in alittle bit. I gota go run some errands.

Because it is not a doctrine. Doctrine pertains to those teachings that provide a foundation for practical Christian living. Examples of doctrine would be things like the Deity of Jesus, Justification, Sanctification, Sin, Redemption, etc.

how about perception? Is that important to you?

"1 Timothy 2:9 (New International Version)

9 I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes...."

"1 Cor 8 (Concerning eating food sacrificed to idols in front of others)

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak."

...just to name a few....

you avoided to answer the question on what you used to determine what is useful and what is not. to say that you used "proper heremeneutics"

does not make it true because you said it.

So again, when you read doctrine you sometimes interpret it as God is inspiring an author and sometimes you feel as though the author is

making a personal statement without inspiration of God? I know that you do not feel the latter.

Maybe the way a Christian should be preceived or behave doesn't matter to you? But it does to writers in the N.T.

That's fine if you think that some things do not pertain to the Church of God but i was curious on your method on determing what does and does not.