• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

Couple refuses to remove anti-abortion sign, risking fines and jail

A couple who placed an anti-abortion sign on their Dauphin County home are refusing to heed borough officials' demand to remove the sign or risk a $500 and up to two months in jail. Paxtang officials say the sign violates the borough ordinance that permits "signs for public, religious and charitable institutions and uses such as parks, schools, churches and similar uses." Colman and Frances Wessel attached the sign to their front porch three weeks ago. "We're just exercising our freedom of speech and religion," said Colman Wessel said. "Is it the pro-life words or the picture of Jesus they don't like?" Codes enforcement officer Brian Seneca said in a letter to the couple that their sign "does not promote a charity of any kind. Therefore, you are required to remove the sign immediately" or risk fines and jail time.

Prophetic Perspective:

While there is certainly strong agreement from this quarter with the sentiment expressed on the sign at the center of this controversy, governmental codes should be observed, else chaos can result. This is so as long as the codes provide for reasonable ways to express our strong convictions. For example, there is a Chicago Cubs fan. She insists on having, during baseball season, large bed-sheet size banners across her yard and porch to express her support for the Cubs. The city code prohibits such displays in private neighborhoods, because some consider them eyesores, and such displays might, in the estimation of city government, bring down property values. In most every city, there are proper venues in which to express political and religious views. Permits are sometimes required, but provisions are usually made for those who wish to protest, vent their enthusiasm, etc. Jesus said to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is God's. In America, for the most part, there remains opportunity to do both within society's and God's purviews. Bible prophecy foretells, however, a time when Antichrist will overcome the saints (Rev. 13:7). Such freedoms as we currently enjoy will be cut off. We can see that future persecution now well underway, with evil people and their devilish minority influences that have removed Bible reading and prayer from schools and public places. We must be on guard against the satanic erosion, of course. We must also be discerning enough to know what is true expression of our convictions, and what is breaking civil law without such infraction being necessary.

Marilyn

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.75

Hmmm...I don't think that my town has any codes like that...maybe a size rule of the sign...but all over here in my town you can drive by houses that have the little 2 ft square signs with bible verses on them...I enjoy it...cuz every once in a while you drive by and see they have changed to another verse. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it here.

Love and Blessings,

Angel

Probably won't be long though and they will be taken down :t2:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  706
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I am glad they took a stand, but I do agree that the law is there for a reason. God bless them and may God help them to find some legal ways to witness.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Perhaps we can take up a collection to help pay their fine? ;)

t.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

Perhaps we can take up a collection to help pay their fine? ;)

t.

Ya Ted I hear you count me in!! :) Sometimes ya just have to take a stand and let the chips fall where may.

Marilyn

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

I never quite understood these type of regulations, if you own the property why do you not have the right to have a sign on it? I have never heard of this being an issue before. Now as far as decreasing property value? I would wanna live near these people that would actually work as a selling point for me. What if they were to take the sign down but to paint a mural on the side of the house?

God Bless,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02

Time to go around town taking pictures of signs people that they aren't pers... er I mean prosecuting have up? I do agree though that there is such a thing as excessive and towns should have the right to make people take such displays down. I don't know if this display is excessive though or just "politically incorrect."