• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/05/1980

Matthew 23:9 says: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your father, which is heaven.

What about our biological fathers? :o

Guest LadyC

i'm sure someone can post the greek word and stuff, but i can't. what i can say with certainty is that the passage refers to a "spiritual father" not a biological one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Matthew 23:9 says: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your father, which is heaven.

We all have biological fathers on this earth but only the born again have a Heavenly Father in heaven. Our earthly fathers can punish, teach and do other things in the hopes there children will walk in the right way.

Hebrews 12:5-11 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chaseneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

It is important to know the the fathers of our flesh (our earthly fathers along with our earthly mothers who gave to us life in this world) but our heavenly Father above can give to us eternal life after our life here on earth is over. There is nobody on earth that can come to another and give to them eternal life because it only comes from our Heavenly Father. It was the Father above who sent his only begotten Son into the world to die on the cross taking upon himself the sins of mankind and when one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour and the blood he shed for their personal atonement for theirs sins by grace through faith they will be saved but there is no other way to receive eternal life is through the work on the cross while here on earth.

Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life."

Romans 5:2 By whom also we have "ACCESS" by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (it was an amazing thing that God did by sending his only begotten Son into the world. And we can glory in that which our Father above has done for us

Ephesians 2:18 For through him (Jesus) we both have "ACCESS" by one Spirit unto the Father.

John 3:3-8

Matthew chapter 6 We have a Heavenly Father above in heaven who cares and watches over us.

We do have earthly fathers who gave us life but there is only one Father in heaven that can give us eternal life. God said, do not call our earthly fathers here on earth father as you only have one Father in heaven. I think God does not want us to uplift our earthly fathers above God Himself who is eternal life to us.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

I have a biological father who made sure I was brought up to know God, my Heavenly Father, my Transcendant Father. How could I have come to know the former without the latter?

Edited by Logos Knight

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Hi Nakus, I hope you like this Worthy site, I do and welcome (lots of good folks here).

Umm..,all scripture has a subject that needs to be followed, Christ is talking to disciples and the multitudes and it's the scribes & pharisees (diffrent sects that He knows to be wrong in their teachings) that are false teachers of GOD's will and Word. The verses leading to your question (9) gives you the answer you're looking for that is: Who is your Master, GOD of course, so He's not talking about biological fathers.

Edited to say that I liked Openly Curious's (good one) post: #3

Edited by hayahtowb