• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Guns are never the problem it is the people who use them ..

That is very true, seems like the anti gun people want to hang the gun and not the murderer that used it. You know, I can take a fully loaded gun, lay it on a table with the safe off and it won't fire until somebody puts a finger on the trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Should Christians own guns?

I have seen this question....so many times. While I have seen the argument used that scripture says that there is a time, place, and reason to everything under Heaven...I have also seen scripture used to make the argument that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. So in truth, this is a very difficult subject for me as more often than not....I see scripture being bent or used to convey one's own beliefs.

Please do not think I am saying I am without fault or sin here...that is not where I am aiming to go. Just...is there really any scriptural support that says it is right to own or carry weapons? Even that God approves of such?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,738
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

there is a difference between living by the sword, and owning a sword. For example, Peter owned a sword, but other then one isolated incident he didnt run around killing people with it, and even the one incident, he didnt kill anyone just cut off an ear defending his best friend. . .and lets look at the OT heros, such as King David, who fought many wars, yet was not killed at the end of the sword. I think the verse that talks about living by the sword will die by the sword refers to those who kill for no good cause-mercenaries, murderers, and the like-people who would use guns to hurt others. I dont think a christian who owns a gun is living by the sword (or by the gun) because while they may own the gun, it doesnt mean theyre going to kill people with it-there are several uses for guns that dont hurt others, such as target shooting, or hunting, which people do need food. And even if one was to use it for self defense, it would be just that-theyre not using it out of spite, theyre not using it because they want to kill someone, but because they want to protect themselves and their families from those who do live by it. Living by the sword and owning a sword are two different things. Another example is vehicles-lots of people own them, but not everyone lives off of them. Truck drivers, that vehicle is their source of income-and often times their home, they live by the truck. While, the wal-mart employee, may use his car to get to work, he doesnt live in it, and he doesnt make money with it. Now theres nothing in the Bible against living by the truck, I just use this to help illustrate a point.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Revelation 13:10 really has nothing to do with owning guns.

Revelation 13:10

King James Version (KJV)

10He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

10He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity:

Could be translated, "he who is destined to captivity will go into captivity"; it refers to the fact that those who will not hear the word of the Lord, but rather the word of the Antichrist, are guaranteed the worst type of spiritual bondage.

he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword.

This pertains to the nations of the world that will follow the Antichrist in his quest for world domination and power. The second coming of the Lord will bring swift and sure judgement upon them.

Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

This refers basically to Israel, and that her redemption is very near, which will take place at the second coming.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  348
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

Hubby and I just took and completed the ccw class and test today, getting ready to send in application for permit.

Thats awesome, I need to apply for mine soon. Its not required in my state-wyoming adopted constitional carry last year for all residents which means I dont need a concealed carry permit to carry concealed in the state, but I do if I leave the state and I travel enough that it would be beneficial.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

peter also carried a sword, do you not think that Jesus didnt know about it? seems to me if Jesus had a problem with Peter carrying a sword, then peter would not have had one.

I never considered that before. Thanks for presenting this!

Interesting point, However ALSO remember that when Peter pulled it out Jesus told him to put it away.

Matthew 26:51-52 KJV

And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Correct, Jesus did tell him to put it away-however, Jesus did not tell him to get rid of it. All he said was he who lives by one dies by one-and like ive pointed out there is a difference between owning a sword and living by it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Maybe the reason I am not understanding the ownership of one can be stated in a question....if it is a means to take a life...why invite that sort of tempation in?

While it may not be anyone's intention to take a life....there really is no other use for a gun. Be it for taking the life of an animal or human being, a life is a life. Just do not see anything good coming out of it that is all.

There will be no agreeing on my part with the use of a gun. Please though, do not think I am saying that anyone who carries one is any less Christian. That is not what I am trying to imply, I just...do not know how anyone can carry or hold that kind of temptation in their home day after day. A gun to me has always been a tool for destruction. It is going to be hard for me to see it any other way. On this thread, I am going to have to simply agree to disagree.

I thank those of you who have provided scripture. It is always enlightening.

May God Bless You

Dani