th1bill

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  5

yes but how many women on average could handle that gun? probably not many. i know women that could out lift men. do we base soldiering on that?

the reason the m1911 was removed was because of its age. why they didnt replace it with a same caliper round is beyond me. they could have gone to a glock 40.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

ummm jason, It wasnt removed-the 1911 is still in use by our military today. Mostly by special forces, but it is still in use. And youd be surprised, Id bet more people could handle the 1911 with a glock 40-I wouldnt want to swap them out, the glock is a much lighter weapon and would have far more recoil. For example, I own two handguns-one a springfield 1911, and the other a taurus pt 24/7 in the .40 S&W caliber. the taurus is very light compared to the weight of the 1911. Now, the taurus kicks like a mule, even though its a smaller caliber. Literally, like a mule. Now my wife, who barely does guns-she does not get into them at all, can handle that .40. she doesnt like it, but she can handle it. Now, she hasnt fired the 1911 yet-but Im confident if she had to, she can handle it a lot better then that .40. The weight of the gun is heavy for a handgun, but its light enough that pretty much any women I know can lift and aim it, which leaves the kick, and it doesnt kick that bad. Its more of a fear factor-I imagine if you get any women, and properly train her-she could handle it. Ive heard about women at less then 5 feet weighing it at less then hundred pounds firing guns such as .357 magnums, the 460s, or even 50 cal. barrets. Its all in the head. . .

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

ummm jason, It wasnt removed-the 1911 is still in use by our military today. Mostly by special forces, but it is still in use. And youd be surprised, Id bet more people could handle the 1911 with a glock 40-I wouldnt want to swap them out, the glock is a much lighter weapon and would have far more recoil. For example, I own two handguns-one a springfield 1911, and the other a taurus pt 24/7 in the .40 S&W caliber. the taurus is very light compared to the weight of the 1911. Now, the taurus kicks like a mule, even though its a smaller caliber. Literally, like a mule. Now my wife, who barely does guns-she does not get into them at all, can handle that .40. she doesnt like it, but she can handle it. Now, she hasnt fired the 1911 yet-but Im confident if she had to, she can handle it a lot better then that .40. The weight of the gun is heavy for a handgun, but its light enough that pretty much any women I know can lift and aim it, which leaves the kick, and it doesnt kick that bad. Its more of a fear factor-I imagine if you get any women, and properly train her-she could handle it. Ive heard about women at less then 5 feet weighing it at less then hundred pounds firing guns such as .357 magnums, the 460s, or even 50 cal. barrets. Its all in the head. . .

You hit the nail on the head, its nothing but a head game.

Another reason the military went from a m14 to m16, was because individuals could carry more rounds, with less weight.

i was with special forces in afghanistan and well the mp corps and officers did carry the m1911. neither of them carry at present. the sf i was with didnt carry the m1911. it was brought back quite recently but not as fully auto.

im still in. i was in when they retired it from the military in 92.

i do prefer the .45. your argument for that gun is like saying to me that a 100 female with army combatives/mma or even well trained could handle a 190 man of same level expercience in combatives or mma. there are exceptions but lets be real.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/17/1973

These are the ones I found info on that still use the 1911. I believe the 1911 is one of the finest handguns ever made, BUT.....it's combat effectiveness doesn't compare to some of today's handguns. FN 5.7 anyone??? 2800fps.....penetrates armor at 55yrds, 20-30rds!!! YIKES!

Anyhoo...

USMC - Force Recon uses the MEUSOC tweaked 1911. I don't really understand USMC organization as far as how widely MEUSOC units are spread around the Corps.

USMC Det 1 - super elite and now part of SOCOM--(recently deactivated)

US Army Special Forces - I think there is pretty good info that at least one SF group has gotten a load of old GI 1911A1's out of storage, presumably for use.

Another elusive super Tier 1 or Tier 0 Army unit ironically famous for it's use of tuned 1911's.

That's all that I've heard credible info on. You do know that many law enforcement agencies around the U.S. still use their 1911's though,especially SWAT.

1911's are just awesome. The fit, the trigger break, the accuracy...they've come a long way too!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I have a buddy who just got out of the navy-he was a corpman with the navy SEALs and they gave him the choice between the 1911 or the m9 berretta he chose the 1911. And as far as women shooters Its not fair or accurate to say that they cant shoot a gun cuz their female. From what ive seen any women could shoot any gun if they set their mind to it

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/17/1973

I have a buddy who just got out of the navy-he was a corpman with the navy SEALs and they gave him the choice between the 1911 or the m9 berretta he chose the 1911. And as far as women shooters Its not fair or accurate to say that they cant shoot a gun cuz their female. From what ive seen any women could shoot any gun if they set their mind to it

Look on the competetition circuits. There are plenty of women shooters using the 1911!

Look on the competetition circuits. There are plenty of women shooters using the 1911!

:thumbsup:

Girls Like To Have Fun Too~!

~

The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. Exodus 15:2-3

brian do you have female soldiers in your guard unit? i do and that is why i say that. we dont encourage these days masculinity toughness. i hate to say but the army et all has instead become feminised instead of remaining masculine.

if you arent in you dont know. i have done bjj for three plus years. its alot harder to get a women in the military to understand the concept of wrestling in general. the same is with women outside the army. yes some do learn and have to adjust.