fromIslam2Christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

I'm not so sure that Abraham knew how God was going to provide. He was actually willing to slaughter his son. :noidea:

It doesn't matter what Abraham knew, the point is, he believed God.

I agree, to a point.

If Abraham knew that there would be a ram to take the place of his son, I would imagine it would have been a lot easier to march up that mountain in faith. If Abraham did not know how or when the Lord would make a substitute sacrifice available, it would be much harder. We see Abe lifting the knife ready to sacrifice his son. Now if Abe knew for sure that there was a substitute, and believed that by faith, why would he start to do something that he knew the Lord was not asking for?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I read 4 commentaries and the ram being behind Abraham escaped their attention, other than to mention that the ram made a noise, giving reason for Abraham to look behind himself. The prophecy of Christ's sacrifice does not hinder on where the ram is.

Where does it say the ram made a noise? :noidea:

In the commentary, the author was speculating, as you did in your other reply.

I'm not so sure that Abraham knew how God was going to provide. He was actually willing to slaughter his son. :noidea:

I agree, to a point.

If Abraham knew that there would be a ram to take the place of his son, I would imagine it would have been a lot easier to march up that mountain in faith. If Abraham did not know how or when the Lord would make a substitute sacrifice available, it would be much harder. We see Abe lifting the knife ready to sacrifice his son. Now if Abe knew for sure that there was a substitute, and believed that by faith, why would he start to do something that he knew the Lord was not asking for?

But the Lord did ask him to do that. I don't think Abraham had any idea what was going to happen. God told Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a burnt offering, and Abraham, fearing God, did as he was told.

The Lord made a promise to Abraham concerning Isaac and Abraham had faith in the Lord concerning that promise. He believed God.

I agree, to a point.

But the Lord did ask him to do that. I don't think Abraham had any idea what was going to happen. God told Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a burnt offering, and Abraham, fearing God, did as he was told.

The Lord made a promise to Abraham concerning Isaac and Abraham had faith in the Lord concerning that promise. He believed God.

OK then, we agree!

I read 4 commentaries and the ram being behind Abraham escaped their attention, other than to mention that the ram made a noise, giving reason for Abraham to look behind himself. The prophecy of Christ's sacrifice does not hinder on where the ram is.

Hunter, I don't agree with their speculation. There are many ways for the Lord to draw our attention to something, no need to speculate that it was because the ram made a noise. Was there a particular reason why they thought this, did it tie into some other meaning or scripture?

The way it was phrased above made it sound like fact rather than speculation.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Hunter, I don't agree with their speculation. There are many ways for the Lord to draw our attention to something, no need to speculate that it was because the ram made a noise. Was there a particular reason why they thought this, did it tie into some other meaning or scripture?

The way it was phrased above made it sound like fact rather than speculation.

no more so than when you speculated a " crown of thorns ", the author was merely speculating as to how God drew Abraham's attention, although very logical. Why would he look behind himself unless his attention was drawn there somehow.

There is nothing in that scripture that tells us how God caused Abraham to look, for all we know the Ram bleated, or scraped it's hoof along the ground.

In the future I will have to be much more careful in describing another person's writings and works. I see I will also need to more accurately state where information is found.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  830
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

Abraham did not know that God was going to provide a substitute:

"By faith Abraham, being tested, offered up Isaac. And he who had received the promises offered up his only-begotten son, of whom it was said that in Isaac your Seed shall be called, concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from where he even received him, in a figure."

(Heb 11:17-19)

Abraham had no idea that there would be a substitute which would follow Abraham's faith which produced his obedience:

"And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked. And, behold, a ram behind him was entangled in a thicket by its horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son." (Gen 22:13).

The Hebrew word for "behind" is "achar". It means both behind and following/following after. It's found all over scripture, and also in various prophetic verses, such as these:

"And after (Hebrew achar - behind or following) sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself. And the people of the ruler who shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. And the end of it shall be with the flood, and ruins are determined, until the end shall be war." (Dan 9:26)

"And it shall come to pass afterward (Hebrew achar, behind or following after), that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:" (Joe 2:28)

The sacrifice both preceded and followed Abraham's faith:

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." (Joh 8:58).

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." (Gen 3:15)

"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." (Gal 3:11).

So if your faith produces obedience so that like Abraham, you follow God wherever He leads you, then "goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life".

.... Abraham did not know that God was going to provide a substitute:

"By faith Abraham, being tested, offered up Isaac. And he who had received the promises offered up his only-begotten son, of whom it was said that in Isaac your Seed shall be called, concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from where he even received him, in a figure."

(Heb 11:17-19)....

Amen!