• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

The sex scandals happened not because of celibacy, but because of really bad faithless apples getting into the priesthood combined with a reflexive protection of the institution to try to pretend this could not have happened even when it was right in front of them and some basic corruption which happens in many large groups and institutions. You know the Bakers started out as pretty good people but the money and cover-ups slowly got to them or Jimmy Swaggart is a good preacher he just got caught up in his own lusts and then tried to cover it up, this stuff does happen across the Christian spectrum.

I think they would be wise to let parish priests marry so they can better relate to family life. However I think there is a place for celibacy and sometimes it is a very good thing. They may change this policy in the future, the Catholic Church fully acknowledges that priests were at one time allowed to marry they just think that now they should be celibate.

Anyway the Catholic Church can take up a lot of our energy when I think maybe we should focus on bringing people who do not know Christ, this would include some Catholics who have fallen away no doubt about it.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

Catholicism has always been a major problem for me too. The Vatican and it's opulence, the Pope (called God's representative on earth), praying to saints (humans) and even the worship of Mary, mother of Jesus....she was blessed among women but she was a woman, a mortal. They bow down to idols. None of those things are Biblical and yet, over a billion people believe in Catholic doctine. It's just wrong, to me, and nothing will ever change that.

I was raised Catholic and I agree with you. I don't like how the Roman Catholic Church flaunts its wealth. The ostentatious display is shameful considering how humble and poor was Jesus of Nazareth. The Pope should not be worshipped as a demigod as he is just a man, just as human as you or I. This "infallibility" business is so stupid because people don't realize the Pope has an extremely limited form of infallibility --doctrinal infallibility-- and not the infallibility of God Himself. I hate the idea that devout Catholics fall on one knee to kiss the ring of the Pontiff. That, I find disgusting. And the worship of Mary, her designations of "Co-Reedemer" and "Queen of Heaven" I find equally objectionable. It's as though she is being added to the Holy Trinity as a fourth person, making it a trinity of four. (:laugh: )

But please, please do not discount all the good the Catholic Church has done in the world. The charities, the universities, the hospitals, the schools, the missions.

You're right about that, logos. They HAVE done a lot of good around the world, for a long time. It's their beliefs that bother me, not their works. I guess no denomination is perfect.

The more denomiations arise, the more inconsistent the Christian message becomes. A house divided unto itself cannot stand.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/18/1979

@Smallcald

Do you think it would force the pedophiles out of hiding if the priests were allowed to marry and have families? These sexual deviants seem to use the celibate environment of the priesthood as a smokescreen or long grass to behind. Some say the presence of child-molestors has nothing to do with the sexual frustration of celibate priests. I still don't know if the Church is an environment that produces pedophiles or just appeals to them. Thoughts?

Edited by Logos Knight

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.87
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

We have our share of sex scandles in the Protestant churches as well involving married Pastors, so I don't think it is fair to blame their rules that a Priest remain single for all their troubles.

1Co 7:9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

I don't blame all the sex scandals on enforced celibacy,but do you think it would as prevalent if priests could marry?

Tell them the Catholic Church is wrong to insist a priest be unmarried and this wrong teaching may have something to do with the bad fruit we see in this area.

Nobody is forcing them to become a Priest. If they want to marry, they should not enter the priesthood.

Agree..or.....men should be allowed to marry if they desire and this should not disqualify them from being,or becoming,a priest.

Ya, but it's not our denomination, so it really doesn't matter what we think on this issue, does it?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

We have our share of sex scandles in the Protestant churches as well involving married Pastors, so I don't think it is fair to blame their rules that a Priest remain single for all their troubles.

1Co 7:9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

I don't blame all the sex scandals on enforced celibacy,but do you think it would as prevalent if priests could marry?

Tell them the Catholic Church is wrong to insist a priest be unmarried and this wrong teaching may have something to do with the bad fruit we see in this area.

Nobody is forcing them to become a Priest. If they want to marry, they should not enter the priesthood.

Agree..or.....men should be allowed to marry if they desire and this should not disqualify them from being,or becoming,a priest.

Ya, but it's not our denomination, so it really doesn't matter what we think on this issue, does it?

Yes it does. There is supposed to be unity in the body of Christ, the church. If they claim to be brothers, and serving the same Lord, then we are part of the very same body as them, and their issues that plague their church also plague us. Eph 4...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Yes it does. There is supposed to be unity in the body of Christ, the church. If they claim to be brothers, and serving the same Lord, then we are part of the very same body as them, and their issues that plague their church also plague us. Eph 4...

To "stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel" is what we read in PHILIPPIANS 1:27. The trouble is that man has created doctrine by taking a verse from scripture and added their "understanding" to it, twisting the true meaning. Yes, to remain unmarried does allow one to fully concentrate on what God would have them do, but that does not disqualify them from being a priest, for scripture tells us we are all priests. 1 Peter 2:4-5 "Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I am noticing that a lot of the church's rules are not only contrary to scripture but perhaps ven heretical. Forgive me if I'm wrong. It is irritating to me because I have a lot of unbelieving friends that are turned away from the Bible because of what is going on in the Catholic Church.

I understand that this isnt your question, but it is a good point. In the years of research I have conducted on the Catholic Church I have found many heretical teachings as well as documented and eyewitness testimonies that prove to be gruesome and disturbing. Speaking in love, I believe that this institution is the "whore" of Revelation. I dont think ill of the people involved in the catholic church, but I do frown upon the leaders who are preaching false doctrines in the name of Messiah. Chick publications has many good resources about the catholic church. "Fifty years in the church of Rome" by Charles Chiniquy is a book that I have been dying to read. I havent read it yet so dont bash me over it. Lol.

www.remnantofgod.org is a good website to read over. I dont agree with all of his theology, but it is a good resource nonetheless. There are several others but I cant thing of them right now...

I do pray that the Lord will open the eyes of those who are trapped in the institution of Rome. My love goes out to them as well as my prayers...

Catholicism has always been a major problem for me too. The Vatican and it's opulence, the Pope (called God's representative on earth), praying to saints (humans) and even the worship of Mary, mother of Jesus....she was blessed among women but she was a woman, a mortal. They bow down to idols. None of those things are Biblical and yet, over a billion people believe in Catholic doctine. It's just wrong, to me, and nothing will ever change that.

Here's the rub, though. In spite of the false doctrines, we can't afford to hate them for it. Most Catholics I know don't know any other way to practice Christianity. Simply put, they don't know any better and that goes for the senior leadership as well as the rank and file. I've talked with cardinals who don't know any other doctrine or interpretation. For a lot of Catholics, their image of themselves as Christians is grounded in the idea that they can trace their origins all the way back to Jesus through the apostle Peter. We may not be able to consider them as brethren in Christ because of the false doctrines and practices but there is nothing, and I mean, absolutely nothing to prevent us from loving them as people.

It really throws sand in my gears when I see the (pardon me) crap that people post about Catholics and the Catholic church, especially when it's some idiot redneck (redundant?). Had to get that off my chest. It is amazing to me how many of these backwoods nitwits assume malice on the part of Catholics when what they are really faced with is ignorance.

Oh here we go, those darn rednecks from the backwoods again (stereotyping, gee).

"Hey ma, get all the kids to put their Sunday shoes on and get those chickens out of the kitchen. Those city slickers are coming over again and we don't want them to see our kids running around barefooted in chicken ----. Hey I found the car last week when I mowed the yard, just thought I should let you know. :laugh:

Papa!

But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. Matthew 23:8-11

Papa!

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

>>>>>()<<<<<

....It really throws sand in my gears when I see the (pardon me) crap that people post about Catholics and the Catholic church, especially when it's some idiot redneck (redundant?). Had to get that off my chest. It is amazing to me how many of these backwoods nitwits assume malice on the part of Catholics when what they are really faced with is ignorance....

Thank Ye Mightily Dear Brother Paul

Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27

And Bless Your Heart

To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. Titus 3:2

Bless You

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25

In Jesus' Holy Name

Amen!

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

To "stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel" is what we read in PHILIPPIANS 1:27. The trouble is that man has created doctrine by taking a verse from scripture and added their "understanding" to it, twisting the true meaning. Yes, to remain unmarried does allow one to fully concentrate on what God would have them do, but that does not disqualify them from being a priest, for scripture tells us we are all priests. 1 Peter 2:4-5 "Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."

Are you agreeing with me :noidea: .