testing and panic attacks

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am going through a very difficult time with anxiety lately. I am having up to 3 full blown panic attacks a day, am sick to my stomach and can't eat, can't sleep and am physically and mentally exhausted. I am wondering how long I should tolerate these symptoms before getting medical help. I mean, I really want to fight these emotions and this anxiety but it is absolutely crippling at times. I don't know what to do. I feel so sick. I will fight this for as long as I can without medication but it's getting so bad. It has to stop, right? I mean, the anxiety cannot last forever, can it? Would it be wrong to take medicine for something like this? I want the Lord to deliver me. I want him to show me how to pass this test. I want to pass this test. I feel like if I get help, I will have failed and done all this in vain. Please help me.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not taken valium regularly in about a month. I have had to take it occasionally lately because of the anxiety I'm feeling but I have been fighting so hard not to take it all. I don't want to be dependent on this stuff. I want to be dependent on God. I feel like if I give in and take this drug that I will have totally shamed God's work in me.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am going through a very difficult time with anxiety lately. I am having up to 3 full blown panic attacks a day, am sick to my stomach and can't eat, can't sleep and am physically and mentally exhausted. I am wondering how long I should tolerate these symptoms before getting medical help. I mean, I really want to fight these emotions and this anxiety but it is absolutely crippling at times. I don't know what to do. I feel so sick. I will fight this for as long as I can without medication but it's getting so bad. It has to stop, right? I mean, the anxiety cannot last forever, can it? Would it be wrong to take medicine for something like this? I want the Lord to deliver me. I want him to show me how to pass this test. I want to pass this test. I feel like if I get help, I will have failed and done all this in vain. Please help me.

I think much of it depends where your anxiety is coming from. It can be caused by worry, and that kind should definitely be given to God. Sometimes food is the culprit...fatty foods, caffeine related, my big one was chocloate, and alcohol can also be a factor.

There is also the imbalance kind of anxiety, related to hormonal imbalances, that I deal with as well, and with those I just look forward to it passing, and know it is directly related to my monthly cycle.

Sometimes it is related to all the worries that are pressed on you from society in general...the news is a terrible thing for some of us to be listening to. Current events can be frightening.

Do you have any idea what might be the root of your anxiety? Think on it. Once you find the root it is easier to figure out how best to deal with it.

Oh, just read the valium part...try taking vitamin D, bananas, lots of water, and a B vitamin complex. It will help you through that part of it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

Praying

A panic attack is your mind telling your body that an imaginary fear is real. They can be stopped and you don't need meds to do it.

You need to pinpoint what it is that's causing these attacks. What are you afraid of?

Whenever you feel one of these attacks coming on, you need to distract your mind. Think of something....anything but your fear. A tv show, a movie, a picture, a conversation you had, what you're gonna have for supper. It can be anything. You need to get your mind to stop sending signals to your body.

Your body will react to what your mind is or is not telling it. It takes some practice but they will go away eventually.

I used to have panic attacks and they made me physically ill. I know what you're feeling.

Give it a try.

It is making me physically ill and and I have terrible insomnia because of the thoughts that race. It's 1:30 a.m. and I'm wide awake. I'm exhausted but I cannot sleep with the battle going on in my mind. I don't really feel like whatever this fear is is real. I know it's not real but something is making me feel like it is. I know that doesn't even make sense. I don't believe I am afraid, but for some reason my body is reacting in a way that makes me very anxious about everything. And of course, the valium is calling my name. All I have to do is take a valium and I'm sure all of this will disappear. I'm scared that I'm losing my mind. I think that is my worst fear and that is the lie that I've been struggling with for days now. I'm not losing my mind. God would never allow that to happen to me. But why do I get so worked up and worried about it? I just wish I could sleep. I feel terrible.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Lack of sleep is a sure fire depressant and anxiety cause.Maybe some solid exercise during the day or a long evening power walk might fatigue you enough to sleep better.Setting time and distance goals while checking your heart rate are good distractions too.

Power walking does help for sure. It is amazing how a walk can put things back in order during a panic attack. Do you have some good Christian music to listen to? I find that helps as well.

I was talking to a fellow christian sister last night and she told me that I need to stop condemning myself for taking medication for anxiety issues. Do you think the Lord gives this medicine to help his people through these things? I fear I will ruin my testimony by giving in and taking medicine for this. I want to fight it as long as I can. But honestly, I don't know how much fight is left. The reason I went off the valium in the first place was because I thought we wanted another baby. And I do want another baby. But I have to be stable for my family right now and I can't bring another child into this world feeling like this. I have to feel better and I think God wants me to feel better. I see my doctor tomorrow about medicine.

BTW, for the record I have a very long history of depression and anxiety disorder. I have been hospitalized numerous times for these things. My testimony is that I am healed of these things. And that is why I am so ashamed right now. I feel like I'm failing God and destroying my own testimony which makes me even more depressed.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I fear I will ruin my testimony by giving in and taking medicine for this. I have to feel better and I think God wants me to feel better. My testimony is that I am healed of these things. And that is why I am so ashamed right now. I feel like I'm failing God and destroying my own testimony which makes me even more depressed.

I believe you have just solved what maybe causing your anxiety attacks.

God is the great Physician, who allowed these medications to be develop. If taken properly renders a great service to those that need it, but can be habit forming. I want to know did God remove you from taking your meds or is this something you are doing on your own? It very important to weight what is going on.

I took medicines for depression and anxiety for over half of my life time. It was the Lord that instructed me to do so, and Him that placed in my spirit to go off. But I didn't go cold turkey, I remained under my doctors care who reduced the milligrams and sometimes placed me on less powerful meds. Because of the years on it, my body was use to the chemical and put up a great fight. I did not experience the difficulty you are having, but I did go through a hard time.

The unmerited shame you are feeling probably is triggering these episodes (I'm not a doctor), so I can't 100% say it is. I commend you for wanting to be release from the power of these medications, but at the same time want you to use wisdom and seek information from your doctor.

I am praying...

2J