fromIslam2Christ

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

What in the world is a closet Christian?

I'm sorry, but when I read that...the first thought that came to mind was to keep the candle hidden.

If this was said concerning someone who could not come out and live their faith among those who would not tolerate this...well,...did not Jesus say this would happen? Are we to hide in fear, or...procalim the Gospel to those who don't know, regrardless of the dangers involved?

I apologize if I'm getting off the topic, it's just that phrase, closet Christian, kind of threw me for a loop.

God bless yall,

Randal

And I do thank you for your "bearing" with me.

Don't you think that it's a whole different matter for those of us here in the US where we don't have to face being butchered for our faith? I was doing some searching on sharia law and islam this weekend and stumbled on some horrific pics of some Christians in Nigeria that had been slaughtered. It was very graphic. It just made me think about what so many are going through every day while the western church is preoccupied with it's plastic baubles and the latest Jesus Junk.

Of course Jesus said that we would face the same as he did but honestly we here in the US have no idea what it's really like out there. I just can't pass any judgment on those who are facing death every day just for being a Christian. I haven't walked in their shoes at all.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the world is a closet Christian?

I'm sorry, but when I read that...the first thought that came to mind was to keep the candle hidden.

If this was said concerning someone who could not come out and live their faith among those who would not tolerate this...well,...did not Jesus say this would happen? Are we to hide in fear, or...procalim the Gospel to those who don't know, regrardless of the dangers involved?

I apologize if I'm getting off the topic, it's just that phrase, closet Christian, kind of threw me for a loop.

God bless yall,

Randal

And I do thank you for your "bearing" with me.

Don't you think that it's a whole different matter for those of us here in the US where we don't have to face being butchered for our faith? I was doing some searching on sharia law and islam this weekend and stumbled on some horrific pics of some Christians in Nigeria that had been slaughtered. It was very graphic. It just made me think about what so many are going through every day while the western church is preoccupied with it's plastic baubles and the latest Jesus Junk.

Of course Jesus said that we would face the same as he did but honestly we here in the US have no idea what it's really like out there. I just can't pass any judgment on those who are facing death every day just for being a Christian. I haven't walked in their shoes at all.

To clarify something...I was not passing judgement...I was thinking of what scripture says about this...being a closet Christian. Are we not to test all things with scripture? I hope that I did not come accross as...being wierd. It's just that from what I understand what scripture says...the last thing we are to be...is a closet Christian...except when in prayer. I could post scripture to show you where I believe this is talked about, but for now...I'll just suggest a reading of Hebrews 11. If I am wrong in my belief, I'm open to reading scripture that says otherwise.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I enter this church site because I wanted to at least check it out a little before I commented.

I'm not familiar with a lot of doctrine from other denominations.

With that I ventured into the Holy Communion.

1. I was greeted with: The grace of the Lord be with you..on the screen, I was suppose to reply..may the grace of the Lord be with you also.

2. Unison prayer.

3. Affirmation of faith. Is this some type of Catholic Church? Because during the AOF, it got to a part where it said..I believe in the Father, The Son, The Holy Ghost :thumbsup: and the Holy Catholic Church :blink:

4. Prayer of Confession, at the end they said..you are forgiven.

5. Offering of ourselves and gifts.

6. Told a short, but informative scripture message about what it means and why we are taking communion.

7. Blessed the bread.

8. Blessed the drink.

9. Said Lords Prayer.

10. Told to place blessed items before me.

11. Prayer

12. Take communion.

13. Prayer

14. Go forth in peace.

It was pretty lengthly, but I guess if you can't go to church some would find it helpful. I prefer to attend church services with living and breathing folks sitting around me. Plus the church I attend, reaches out to the home bound members for communion and other needs.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

A lot of time is spent on the internet as it access is becomes easier. The same thing happened with television. The physical church is far better than tv or internet. As for the muslim killing christians it has nothing to do with faith differences - it is pure human hate for other humans of different race. My biggest advantage has been to be a christian with muslim fanatics.

Blessings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

My own cousin who is a closet Christian back in my home country would benefit greatly from having an online church... Come to think of it.. :b:

I just want to clarify that my cousin's case is a bit peculiar. She became Christian while in high school and was kicked out of her parents home after a lot of persecution (not being given food to eat at home for instance). She then went off and married a member of her church because the pastor had received a revelation about it. The guy started his own church as a pastor and got his powers from voodoo rituals and operated signs and wonders but performed all kinds of strange sacrifices in front of the sea once a a year while beating her senseless. She ran away from him, was homeless, and her Muslim parents took her kids in. She then denied the Christian faith publicly, gave her Bible to my parents for them to destroy it. She now lives with her parents, who believe that Christianity is about voodoo and all kind of nonsense. She is traumatized. I managed to preach the Gospel to her on my last trip and she repented... but is still lost mentally and spiritually. She hides in the bathroom to pray. Scared of churches, of Christians, and of starvation and the streets. (sorry for the digression. Just had to clarify. :))

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

Hebrews 10:25 says - "not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near." Who could have guessed at that time the type of technology we would have today. "On-line" assemblies can serve as a type of assembly. I wouldn't use it as the main type though. The bible asks us to bear burdens (Gal 6:2), sing to one another (Eph 5:19), take communion (Luke 22:19), etc. These things are best done "in person." The biggest edification comes from one on one contact. I would use on-line services in cases of people who can't make the assembly for reasons of sickness, out of town, disability, etc. You can't get the full effect of the church through watching tv or on-line. You have to deal with people on one one and in person to truly grow in Christ.

I am a member of the church of Christ as some may have guessed. I am sorry to hear the story told earlier by the guy who left the COC. We can get off into right field on some of our doctrines. Our church is made up of imperfect people as all others are. Baptism though can be performed anywhere. The location is not essential. There just needs to be enough water to be immersed. If a person dies on the way to bapttism then that is up to God to judge that person's fate. After all they were on their way to obey God's will when something out of their control happened. No one can say definitively that person is going to hell. For most of us though we have ample opportunity to be baptized.

Edited by UncleAbee

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

My own cousin who is a closet Christian back in my home country would benefit greatly from having an online church... Come to think of it.. :b:

I just want to clarify that my cousin's case is a bit peculiar. She became Christian while in high school and was kicked out of her parents home after a lot of persecution (not being given food to eat at home for instance). She then went off and married a member of her church because the pastor had received a revelation about it. The guy started his own church as a pastor and got his powers from voodoo rituals and operated signs and wonders but performed all kinds of strange sacrifices in front of the sea once a a year while beating her senseless. She ran away from him, was homeless, and her Muslim parents took her kids in. She then denied the Christian faith publicly, gave her Bible to my parents for them to destroy it. She now lives with her parents, who believe that Christianity is about voodoo and all kind of nonsense. She is traumatized. I managed to preach the Gospel to her on my last trip and she repented... but is still lost mentally and spiritually. She hides in the bathroom to pray. Scared of churches, of Christians, and of starvation and the streets. (sorry for the digression. Just had to clarify. :))

Abuse can make you hide in any situation. Thats the power of it, to kill, steal and destroy, a true sign of the enemy. satan is the father of lies and the author of confusion and will go to any length to keep people in bondage. I pray that your cousin will be lifted out of this horrible pit of persecution, walk into the marvelous light and be restored fully, In Jesus Name, Amen.

2J :emot-hug:

.... If a person dies on the way to bapttism then that is up to God to judge that person's fate....

Amen!

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

It Is Written

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:15

Amen!

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

Bless You Brother For Standing On The Word

..... She hides in the bathroom to pray. Scared of churches, of Christians, and of starvation and the streets....

Praying!

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Matthew 6:6

Praying!

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. John 14:18

In The Hioly Name Of Jesus I Pray

Comfort Your Daughter

Amen!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I would think that baptism is a hands on physical thing. As Otherone mentioned there are so many who cannot get out of their homes, those with many types of disabilities so an online congregation fits the bill pretty well. I personally join others around the world in a small congregation online, the teacher not only teaches to the physical congregation but to those online as well, theres a 'chat' room for those online to speak to one another and we are able to ask questions and get them answered. Some of us just don't have the option of getting out to a building.

So how do those who insist that baptism is required for salvation deal with this very issue?

I have no idea you would have to ask that of someone else.

What do you mean? It's a legitimate question that has been answered, by the way.

Yes I see that Otherone did yet what you asked I didn't have the answer too so I answered you honestly. Considering I don't believe baptism is a requirement for salvation, should I have told you that to clarify the answer I gave?