~Shalhevet~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[a] and of faith in God, 2instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3And God permitting, we will do so.

4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, becauseto their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

7Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. 8But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

Hebrews 6:1-9

Help me understand the bold print. Does this mean if I fall away I will go to hell?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

OK.. this is likely to become another debate between opposing sides of Calvinism an Arminianism.

It is my understanding of the text, that it is referring to those Jewish Christians who return to sacrifices and the law etc for salvation, rejecting the effective work of Christ (which was one sacrifice for all time).

So I personally don't think this passage is about you.

However, are you fearing falling away? Where are you at with faith at the moment? :emot-hug:

However, are you fearing falling away? Where are you at with faith at the moment? :emot-hug:

I do fear that a little. Is that (falling away) something I should be fearful of?

I'm very confused. The above scripture seems to contradicts this scripture:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

:noidea:

I thought we were forever sealed in our salvation...until I read Hebrews 6.

Can anyone explain?

Andy, so if Jewish Christians go back to rejecting Jesus, they can never go back?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1965

From Matthew Henry's concise commentary

Hebrews 6:1-8

Every part of the truth and will of God should be set before all who profess the gospel, and be urged on their hearts and consciences. We should not be always speaking about outward things; these have their places and use, but often take up too much attention and time, which might be better employed. The humbled sinner who pleads guilty, and cries for mercy, can have no ground from this passage to be discouraged, whatever his conscience may accuse him of. Nor does it prove that any one who is made a new creature in Christ, ever becomes a final apostate from him. The apostle is not speaking of the falling away of mere professors, never convinced or influenced by the gospel. Such have nothing to fall away from, but an empty name, or hypocritical profession. Neither is he speaking of partial declinings or backslidings. Nor are such sins meant, as Christians fall into through the strength of temptations, or the power of some worldly or fleshly lust. But the falling away here mentioned, is an open and avowed renouncing of Christ, from enmity of heart against him, his cause, and people, by men approving in their minds the deeds of his murderers, and all this after they have received the knowledge of the truth, and tasted some of its comforts. Of these it is said, that it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance. Not because the blood of Christ is not sufficient to obtain pardon for this sin; but this sin, in its very nature, is opposite to repentance and every thing that leads to it. If those who through mistaken views of this passage, as well as of their own case, fear that there is no mercy for them, would attend to the account given of the nature of this sin, that it is a total and a willing renouncing of Christ, and his cause, and joining with his enemies, it would relieve them from wrong fears. We should ourselves beware, and caution others, of every approach near to a gulf so awful as apostacy; yet in doing this we should keep close to the word of God, and be careful not to wound and terrify the weak, or discourage the fallen and penitent. Believers not only taste of the word of God, but they drink it in. And this fruitful field or garden receives the blessing. But the merely nominal Christian, continuing unfruitful under the means of grace, or producing nothing but deceit and selfishness, was near the awful state above described; and everlasting misery was the end reserved for him. Let us watch with humble caution and prayer as to ourselves.

quite simply, it means if we utterly reject the gift of salvation after having received it, then there are no second chances.

it does NOT mean that if we screw up, back slide, etc, that we've lost our salvation. salvation can't be accidentally lost. it can only be forcefully rejected. and yes, that can happen, or God wouldn't have warned us of the consequences. the key word here is forcefully rejected. heck, a person can backslide and run from God for ten years, but still long for Him in their heart. it's only when that person literally no longer wants any part of God or heaven that God will accept it.

but YOU have nothing to worry about. there is nothing about you that is rejecting God. and i know that, because you're expressing your concern about it. if you were rejecting God, you wouldn't care.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Candice has given the perfect literal interpretation of the passage.... The whole book of Hebrews is dealing with Jews that are new born and are turnig back to law because of persecution that is in standing for Christ. First their own families buries them as though dead and Rome crucified, fed to lions, tortured, them... Once knowing Christ we must grow by the Word so that we can stand against such that soon may be upon us as well! Love Steven

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1961

Luke chap 12 verse 45 (parenthesis contain my words)

( Those who turn away after knowing )

45)But and if that servant shall say in his heart, My lord delays his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink and be drunken;

46)The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looks not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware,and will cut him in sunder, and appoint him his portion

with the unbelievers.

(Those who backslide )

47)But the servant who knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself,niether did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

(Those who do things in ignorance )

48)But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes.

For unto whomsoever much is given,of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

(Could Jesus have been talking about committing our salvation unto Him, and being able to ask repentance from Him when we commit things worthy of stripes?)

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Can anyone explain?

Andy, so if Jewish Christians go back to rejecting Jesus, they can never go back?

Let's be clear who we are talking about. Jewish Christians, who because of persecution (among other things) have decided to return to an ineffectual works based system (the law) which can NEVER save or take away sin.

Once you rule out the work of Christ on the cross for salvation, there is nothing left to save you because it is the ONLY way to salvation. By ruling this out, they have no means of salvation. They have returned to the repeated sacrifice under the law (which points to Christ) can't save them.

This isn't you, however, if you find yourself constantly sinning, or not following Him, to the point where you wonder whether you have "fallen away" then perhaps you need to have a chat with a trusted mentor or pastor so that you can move past the milk and basic doctrine and into a steady faith and relationship with the Lord. :emot-hug:

Can anyone explain?

Let's be clear who we are talking about. Jewish Christians, who because of persecution (among other things) have decided to return to an ineffectual works based system (the law) which can NEVER save or take away sin.

Once you rule out the work of Christ on the cross for salvation, there is nothing left to save you because it is the ONLY way to salvation. By ruling this out, they have no means of salvation. They have returned to the repeated sacrifice under the law (which points to Christ) can't save them.

This isn't you, however, if you find yourself constantly sinning, or not following Him, to the point where you wonder whether you have "fallen away" then perhaps you need to have a chat with a trusted mentor or pastor so that you can move past the milk and basic doctrine and into a steady faith and relationship with the Lord. :emot-hug:

Amen!

Trust - Jesus Saves

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust - Jesus Saves

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24

Trust - Jesus Saves

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalms 23:1

Trust - Jesus Saves

As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. Romans 9:33

See!

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Love, Your Brother Joe

>>>>>()<<<<<

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. 1 John 1:8-10

Trust - Jesus Saves!