• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

I would just like to know how many brothers and sisters who have posted on this topic have spoken in tongues? :)

For over 30 years, months after becoming a new believer. It happened in the quiet of my room, not in a hyped service by a hyped preacher.

I would just like to know how many brothers and sisters who have posted on this topic have spoken in tongues? :)

I pray in tongues daily sunnier, but so far always in private, or so low a whisper in church that no one would understand what I was doing. What happens in some churches when people praise in tongues is just wrong in my view of scripture. and it is not just something one decides to do.

It is not a problem to worship corporately, quietly in the public setting. The Corinthian problem was that they were being proud and divisive and going on and on in tongues to out do each other at the expense of love and preaching the Word, etc. If we raise our voice above the crowd, there should be interpretation for corporate edification. This does not preclude the possibility of using our devotional language without interpretation as others worship in English. Motive and decently/in order is the principle.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This word

I've never spoken in tongues. Paul makes it quite clear that it is the Holy Spirit who decides who gets what spiritual gifts, and that's fine by me. I can't sing either, so I keep it to myself so the dogs don't start howling. :b: Frankly, I've never worried all that much about tongues. God has made His choice of spiritual gifts for my life and that's that. Who am I to argue with God? Jesus knows what He's doing.

I've moved a lot over the years, visited many churches while looking for a church "home", and there's some things that are a real turn off to me about the whole "issue of tongues."

1. Any church where I get told I'm not saved because I've never spoken in tongues.

2. Any church where they are not following Paul's instructions about the use of spiritual gifts. There's the idea of putting the good of others first in there.

3. Every time I meet someone who thinks they are not saved because of #1. You would be amazed how many people I have met like this, and its tragic.

We are all different and are members of the same body with the gifts and abilities that God has decided we each should have. So praise the Lord and let's get to work sharing the Gospel like Jesus said . . . :thumbsup:

There are some sects like United Pentecostal Church who teach baptism in the name of Jesus only (deny Trinity) and tongues as necessary, but they are being unbiblical on these points.

Personal, devotional tongues is for everyone as I Cor. 14; Acts 2 shows. I Cor. 12 refers to the public expression with interpretation where not everyone has this use/gift (many speak in tongues and the Spirit does not give a rock if we ask for good gift, but relatively few have the corporate tongues/interpretation gift...some, but all can speak in tongues for self-edification I Cor. 14:4 If you don't see this, you may not seek Him like you should in line with Scripture).

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It is not a problem to worship corporately, quietly in the public setting. The Corinthian problem was that they were being proud and divisive and going on and on in tongues to out do each other at the expense of love and preaching the Word, etc. If we raise our voice above the crowd, there should be interpretation for corporate edification. This does not preclude the possibility of using our devotional language without interpretation as others worship in English. Motive and decently/in order is the principle.

:thumbsup:

How many have practiced trying to arrive at its capability in being performed? Taught how to speak in tongues?

This is wrong, the parrot approach. We speak as the Spirit gives utterance. Teaching may help, but people should not 'practice' or mimic. The only practical point is that some think God is going to flap their gums. We actually have control and must open or close or mouth. As we speak (like a baby starting out), He will give the words. We have to allow the Spirit to bypass our skeptical intellect. This does not mean we are not discerning (there are demonic and fleshly counterfeits), but God does not use us like a megaphone.

Prophecy can be predictive or declarative, conditional or unconditional.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Personal, devotional tongues is for everyone as I Cor. 14; Acts 2 shows.

Can you be more specific? I'm not sure I agree with your point here.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,244
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

How many have practiced trying to arrive at its capability in being performed? Taught how to speak in tongues?

This is wrong, the parrot approach. We speak as the Spirit gives utterance. Teaching may help, but people should not 'practice' or mimic. The only practical point is that some think God is going to flap their gums. We actually have control and must open or close or mouth. As we speak (like a baby starting out), He will give the words. We have to allow the Spirit to bypass our skeptical intellect. This does not mean we are not discerning (there are demonic and fleshly counterfeits), but God does not use us like a megaphone.

Prophecy can be predictive or declarative, conditional or unconditional.

I would say that is this very point-

We have to allow the Spirit to bypass our skeptical intellect.

Isa 1:18

8 "Come now, and let us reason together,"

Says the Lord,

NKJV

2 Tim 2:15

15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

NKJV

1 Cor 2:15-16

15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

NKJV

No where can I find where God expects us to disengage our minds to the truth of His Word! In fact we are commanded to test all things by The Scriptures He has delivered unto us.

2 Cor 13:5-8

5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?

Personal, devotional tongues is for everyone as I Cor. 14; Acts 2 shows.

Can you be more specific? I'm not sure I agree with your point here.

Pentecostals, with Scripture, believe whomsoever will may come to Christ and experience the gifts of the Spirit. Most do not move in all the gifts, but tongues is a basic gateway intended for all believers. Acts is a precedent. When the Spirit was given to the Church, tongues of fire were seen once since the Spirit was only given once. When the fulness of the Spirit is received (we all receive all of the person of the Spirit at conversion even if we are anti-charismatic), the initial, physical evidence is normatively tongues (you cannot see the invisible Spirit). This is for you, your children, those who are far off as prophesied by God. It is not limited to a super-spiritual elite. It is not limited to Pentecostals since there are charismatic elements/individuals in most denominations. The Pentecostal distinctive is intended for all without prejudice or partiality. Not everyone in our church has this, but we believe that if people will seek God, that anyone can and should have this dimension to enhance prayer/worship. Paul said to earnestly desire gifts, forbid not speaking in tongues, he spoke more than all of them, etc.

If you think it is only for some or that they have passed, this passivity and wrong view could be a hindrance from receiving something God intends for all believers. We all need self-edification and enhancement in our communication to God (the spirit is perfect and bypasses the limited intellect). We all need power to be a witness (Acts 1:8). This reception of the Spirit throughout Acts was evidenced by tongues (Acts 2:4), not to be confused with the Cor. list of gifts in the Church setting. I Cor. 14 talks about a personal and a public use. The former is for all, but the latter is for some. Carefully walking through the biblical evidence will lead to these conclusions in the mind of Pentecostals. Our desire is to be biblical in belief and practice, so be a Berean and test these things for yourself. There is no good reason why many in Pentecostal churches have the gift, while many in other churches against them don't, but our beliefs and faith are a factor. Early Pentecostals were kicked out of their stuffy churches and did not want to start a separate movement. For Southern Baptists to forbid their missionaries from speaking in tongues (gift from God) shows how far our churches have moved from the early church in belief and practice. Sound doctrine affects sound practice (orthodoxy; orthopraxy).

There are some sects like United Pentecostal Church who teach baptism in the name of Jesus only (deny Trinity) and tongues as necessary, but they are being unbiblical on these points.

Personal, devotional tongues is for everyone as I Cor. 14; Acts 2 shows. I Cor. 12 refers to the public expression with interpretation where not everyone has this use/gift (many speak in tongues and the Spirit does not give a rock if we ask for good gift, but relatively few have the corporate tongues/interpretation gift...some, but all can speak in tongues for self-edification I Cor. 14:4 If you don't see this, you may not seek Him like you should in line with Scripture).

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with the bolded statement. If Jesus sees fit to allow a gift into my life, that's His choice. Period. I don't have an issue with the gift of tongues, and it does not matter to me whether it is used in public worship or not - so long Paul's instructions are followed. Personal use is up to the individual and the Lord -- no one else. Considering what Jesus has brought me out of in my past, I'm content with the gifts He's given me thus far in my walk with Him. Please don't start accusing me of being out of line with Scripture.