IGNORED

Is Atheism a religion?

johndavid316

As a Christian, I get frustrated when I see so many other Christians make fools out of themselves.... absolutely NO way does atheism fit the definition of a religion.... "disbelief in the existence of a supreme being..... So people, please stop making these silly assertions about a topic that you obviously have so little knowledge of....

Agree :thumbsup:

Poor John Did You Not Know

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalms 14:1

The Article Of Faith Of The A-Theist Is "There Is No God Therefore Jesus Is Not LORD"

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Isaiah 29:16

And They Know This Because They Believe That What I See IS ALL There Is To See, See And Because I Think It's So, It Is So, See

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

And They Put Their Faith In Their Logic And Their Twisted Logic Says There Can't Be Anything That I Don't See So There, I'm Scientific .... See

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 2 Corinthians 4:3-5

And John Do You Know Where The Non-Believer Like Our Dear Blind Lens Will Go After He Dies Without Faith In Jesus?

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 Thessalonians 1:8

Or Do You Really Care About The Hopelessly Dying A-Theist And About His Hapless Loved Ones?

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 2 Corinthians 4:3-5

Those Dear Ones He Can't Teach Jesus Loves Them

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-18

Nor Will He Pray Over Them

The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous. Proverbs 15:29

John, Do You Believe?

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

As a Christian, I get frustrated when I see so many other Christians make fools out of themselves by demonstrating a lack of understanding of simple definitions of words. One of the most commonly misused word is atheism. I've heard a lot of Christians recently attacking atheism by completely misrepresenting its definition. I hear things all the time such as, "Atheism is a religion!" "Atheism requires a leap of faith!" And, the most frustrating of all, "Atheists believe that billions of years ago, there was nothing, then, nothing happened, and then there was something, and for no reason at all, something ordered itself, and then there was life."

So, is atheism a religion? Do atheists believe all that? Lets start with the root of the word.

the·ism   [thee-iz-uhm]

–noun

the belief in one god as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism).

belief in the existence of a god or gods

A is a prefix meaning without.

With that said, here is the definition of atheism.

a·the·ism   [ey-thee-iz-uhm]

–noun

the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Ok, with that out there, I must present that there are two kinds of atheists, strong and weak. A weak atheist will disbelieve the existence of a god, while a strong atheist will tell you that god does not exist.

So, in either case, is atheism a religion? Well, lets look at the definition of religion.

re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn]

–noun

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

In absolutely NO way does atheism fit the definition of a religion.

Now that we have established that atheism is not a religion, lets move on to the claim that being atheist makes you believe in things like the big bang and evolution. The word atheism means "disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings." How can you draw a line from that to believing in the big bang or evolution? Is it true that most atheists accept those scientific theories? Probably. But saying that because someone is atheist, they believe those things is making a false correlation, and a horribly obvious one at that.

So people, please stop making these silly assertions about a topic that you obviously have so little knowledge of.

Thank you,

John

Agree :thumbsup:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

Reli·gion

 noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: Athiest belief of no God, the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions,Athiest Alliance International

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.or make a religion of Fighting the belief in God

7. religions, Archaic . religious rites.

8. Archaic . strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

(Bold text is mine)

Beliefs is the common word above. So an Atheist belief is considered a religion by definition.

Since you don't believe in Christ your beliefs must be antichrist.

2 John 1:7

Many people who deceive others have gone into the world. They refuse to declare that Jesus Christ came in flesh and blood. This is the mark of a deceiver and an antichrist.

Edited by Believer112

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Until you have any proof whatsoever of a Universe creating itself from nothingness, or observing/replicating life creating itself from dead matter, you have more faith than any Christian that ever lived ever had.

We do have proof, God speaks for himself when he says men will have no excuse on that day meaning the day of his wrath. You see the signs in the seas and know when it will rain if you observe the sky. He says you know these things; but lack knowledge of how they got here. You do so because of the darkening of your heart

which also is proof that we didn't just "poof" get here. God says you know and will have no excuse on a certain designated day

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Let me give you the dictionary definition of atheism... AGAIN. a·the·ism   [ey-thee-iz-uhm]

noun

the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

That in NO WAY ties to naturalism. You can say it all you want, but you are wrong.

Uh yeah. :rolleyes:

Ummmmm, think about it for a second. As you stated above, atheism states that they believe there are no Gods. So, they have to explain our physical reality without the intervention of any gods. What option do they have? Naturalism. Meaning, natural forces are all there is. Everything that came to be, came from natural agencies. What is the driving force for naturalism? EVOLUTION.

Atheism and the theory of evolution go hand-in-hand.

Oh, and did you even read the link you posted?

It postulates the theory of other universes and other worlds - but guess what the theory lacks? ANY PROOF WHATSOEVER.

Also, with the multi-universe/worlds theory, you are right back to problem #1, which is: Where did the matter and energy for those other universes and worlds come from?

I don't think this is correct per se. However, outside of the fact that "nothingness" is not really "nothing" (I really wish youtube was allowed as there is a great 1 hour lecture on the matter from a prominent astrophysicist), and you can attribute the creation aspect of the universe to quantum fluctuations or inflation theory etc., in principle this idea can be applied. Just remember that the different ideas really are different ideas, and this 3 choice system is simply lumping all these ideas into categories.

Quantum Fluctuation theory depends upon the existence of some form of energy. But, the crux of the problem is, you must explain where that energy came from. Even if there was only ONE PROTON in the beginning that spawned everything else, you have to explain where that one proton came from.

there really is a myriad of ideas out there.

True, but they lack one thing in common - proof.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

"Atheism" most certainly is a religion with man as god and eternity the "here and now." Its essential doctrine is science plus scientific hypothesis. Secular humanism is its essential "gospel" and its prophets whichever self-styled "atheist" tends to "ring the bell" with the next anti-Creator God volume. "aheists" though continually overlook the fact that in their stating that there's definitely no God (as opposed to my saying there is a God, our

"atheist" friend will have quite an awakening at Judgment Day if indeed we find that one true Creator-God does exist! If I cared to, I'd be able to laugh at his weirdo philosophy for all the eternities whilst he "enjoys" the just rewards of his negative conclusions!

Conversely, if that same "atheist" avers that there's no Creator-God (and I state a Creator-God does exist), and we both awake to discover that there is no Creator-God after all, we'll both be in a state of "nothingness." His point on this observe will be rendered mute for all eternity!

I love "atheists" beyond words. (1) He states positively "There's definitely no God whatsoever!." (2) Then he declares "I hate Him!" Beautiful! Just beautiful!

love "atheists" beyond words. (1) He states positively "There's definitely no God whatsoever!." (2) Then he declares "I hate Him!" Beautiful! Just beautiful!

:laugh:

Reminds me of Christopher Hitchens, who knows he cannot prove there is no God, so all he does in debates is attack God's character.

Onward

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Christian Soldiers

We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. Psalms 20:5

>>>>()<<<<<

..... Remember, I am a Christian too! I just want us to use good logic if we go on the attack!...

:thumbsup:

Name The Enemy

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; Ephesians 6:10:18

Follow The Rules Of Engagement

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 1 Corinthians 1:17-21

Engage

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

Engage

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Quench not the Spirit.

Despise not prophesyings.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:15-24

Engage

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Love, Your Brother Joe

What! You Though Spiritual War Was A Matter Of Logic....

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

OK, but it takes faith to believe in nothing! Atheists are very religious and they shun everything they actually love. The only thing is they believe is themselves.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

How is atheism religious? While there isn't a hard and fast definition of religion, all have certain characteristics, one of which is a belief in the supernatural, and somehow be able to tie adherents together and to this supernatural component. The way atheism is used on this thread makes them synonymous with those adhering to philosophical naturalism - a disbelief in the supernatural. As religion requires some supernatural component and atheism (as used on this thread) denies the supernatural by definition, how is it that atheism is religious?

Honest and sincere question....why are you the front man for atheism here? Why not the actual atheists? Do you know more about it than they? :noidea: